Charles Station demolition

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Charles Station demolition

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:15 pm

According to the July 6 issue of the North End newspaper Regional Review:

CHARLES ST. MGH STATION - The demolition of the old Charles/MGH station building and the overhead walkway from CVS to the old station building will begin Friday, July 9. The work will take about two weeks and will include an overnight shift. For more information, call Lydia Rivera at 617-222-1510 or e-mail her at lrivera@mbta.com .
Ron Newman

Postby FatNoah » Wed Jul 07, 2004 7:14 pm

I lived for a year in an apartment overlooking the CVS. If I stepped out of my living room window, I would have been on its roof.

Closure of the Stop & Shop, Cambridge St. Reconstruction, and Charles Station reconstruction caused me to move away. It wasn't exactly the quietest location...but it's managed to get worse with all of the construction.
FatNoah

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:40 am

The overhead walkways to CVS and Charles Street are gone!

Check out these photos.
Ron Newman

Postby FatNoah » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:56 am

It's nice to see the work progressing, but I will miss the walkways. From the walkways, it was possible to see the signal light (I think that's what it was) on the outbound track that went dark when a train was approaching.

That was a great signal to indicate whether I should be walking or running to the outbound platform!
FatNoah

Postby Charliemta » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:08 pm

Re: Cambridge St. Reconstruction.

Why are they reconstructing Cambridge Street when they're only going to have to tear it all up again to do the Blue Line tunnel extension to Charles Sta.? This indicates to me that they're not really going to build the Blue Line extension. :(
Charliemta

Postby CJ » Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:33 pm

Well you never know, maybe we will get lucky and they will leave room or throw that in when there done :P
CJ

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Jul 13, 2004 5:33 am

Yeah, I took a walk there yesterday, and I saw that the west Pedbidge was missing, but not the east one to the hospital, its still there.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:59 am

Last night they were putting on quite a show demolishing the south side of the station building, with sparks flying everywhere.
Ron Newman

Postby SbooX » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:10 pm

As I understand it, the new station was constructed with the (possible) blue line extension in mind. The new station lobby will be at ground level, so presumably the new blue line station would be below ground and have stairs/elevators/etc. from the same lobby. Transfers should be relatively easy as well.
SbooX

Postby ckb » Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:20 pm

All I can find about this project on the MBTA website are environmental 'proposals.' Since construction is clearly taking place, something moved beyond "proposal" stage. What exactly is going to happen at Charles? Will it look like the image in that proposal? Is the Charles "circle" going to be reconfigured as planned?
ckb

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:49 pm

The old station building is being torn down. A temporary station entrance has opened just to its west., which is accessed from street level. The new permanent station will be just east of the old station and will also be accessed from street level.
Ron Newman

Postby Cotuit » Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:40 pm

ckb wrote:Is the Charles "circle" going to be reconfigured as planned?

Have you seen an plans for proposed traffic flow there? It seems if they were going to alter the roadway layout (and I think they should) then they should have done so before creating the temp station and forcing people to cross the street at the surface.
Cotuit

Postby ckb » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:15 pm

Interesting ... since I wrote my last message on this topic a few days ago, the MBTA has added 9 images to their webpage about the construction. I have to say that I really like the architectual design of the new headhouse -- it respects the old metalwork on the platforms but is a very modern design with the sweeping curves reflecting the streets below.

Cotuit, I don't understand your comment about the temporary entrance and the roadways. I don't think there is any way that a station can be situated there without overhead walkways (ADA inaccessible) or having to cross some streets. Indeed, some shifted lanes of traffic will be where the old headhouse stands (stood).

I do have some more questions -- In the white on black "blueprint" image of the ground level, there are doors on the right side that appear to go right into the fare-controlled area. Looks like they could be places for HEET-type doors but those aren't depicted. Also, mentioned early in this thread was the possibility of the blue line underground from the same station lobby. I don't really see the space or consideration for this in the current plan. But should that really surprise us?
ckb

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:11 pm

They can't reconfigure the roadways until they've torn down the old station. They couldn't tear down the old station until they opened the temporary station.

Everything will be better in a couple of years.
Ron Newman

Postby Charliemta » Sat Jul 17, 2004 9:42 pm

ckb said: "...the possibility of the blue line underground from the same station lobby. I don't really see the space or consideration for this in the current plan. But should that really surprise us?"

It appears that on the street level floor plan, the east end of the station will have a couple of entrance/exit doors out to the island in the middle of Cambridge Street. These doors appear superflous to me, as the other drawing of the proposed street layout shows no cross-walks across Cambridge Street for those east doors. The only reason they might have for those doors is emergency egress in case of fire.

So, I think if they eliminated those east doors, and expand the new station just a little eastward toward the existing viaduct pillar, then there'd be room in the east half of the new station for an escalator and stairs down to the center platform of a new Blue line station.

If that's not feasible, then when the new Red Line Charles station is completed, the MBTA will "discover" that the new lobby isn't large enough to add access to a new Blue Line. That will give them one more excuse to cancel the Blue Line extension to Charles.
Charliemta

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)