Boeing LRV 3418

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Boeing LRV 3418

Postby jiffydos » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:40 am

I was recently reading the article regarding the Boeing LRV reconditioning in the 90s. I was very interested to ready that as of the late 90s the MBTA had kept one car, 3418, out-of-service but in tact as originally delivered in the 70s, including the old style doors.

Does anyone know if this car is still around. And, if it is available for viewing anywhere?
jiffydos

Postby caduceus » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:55 am

NETransit has it listed as scrapped in 1999.

http://members.aol.com/rtspcc/roster/MBTAroster.html
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby astrosa » Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:14 pm

Last I knew there were a couple of gutted LRVs with the original doors at Riverside. They were all the way at the back of the yard, near the reversing loop, sitting outside a shop building. I think they were probably kept around for spare parts. I believe I have a couple photos with these LRVs visible in the background.
astrosa

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:11 pm

3418 would have been historically significant in that it was one of the four cars used on the first day of LRV revenue service, December 30, 1976. It was also the car chosen for what has turned out to be a wildly premature "Farewell to the LRV" charter operated for the BSRA over seven years ago, on June 1, 1997! Maybe late this year or early next year they can try a "Farewell to the LRV, again, and we really mean it this time" charter. :wink:

According to the NETransit roster, it looks like there are only seven unrebuilt Boeing LRVs remaining. Two are now work cars (3417 and 3453), one went to the Army for urban warfare training (3541), and four are sitting out back at Riverside (3421, 3444, 3538, and 3543). Of those four, 3444 is supposed to be earmarked for donation to the Seashore Trolley Museum, and the other three are on the scrap list.
jwhite07

Postby BC Eagle » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:59 pm

What article were you reading?
BC Eagle

Postby ST214 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:27 pm

Don't forget about the emergency LRV that hangs out in that center sidind between Boylston and Hynes/ICA. That one is unmodified, at least the doors are.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:39 pm

Yes, that is car 3417, which I had mentioned as one of the two work cars. It is painted in the white with black and yellow stripes scheme common to most maintenance-of-way vehicles (or at least before they started recently adding a light blue stripe to everything).

The other Boeing work car, 3453, is painted green with a gray stripe, and usually can be found in the Reservoir Lower Yard.
jwhite07

Article

Postby jiffydos » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:20 am

BC Eagle wrote:W-hat article were you reading?

I was reading the NetTransit article about the 3418 fan trip mentioned in someone else's post.

http://members.aol.com/smoore5049/3418/3418.html

Sounds like the only rideable car would be that work car at Boylston. Sad...
jiffydos

Postby jiffydos » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:25 am

caduceus wrote:NETransit has it listed as scrapped in 1999.

That is a great link! Probably the most noteable thing on that list that I noticed was that somehow or another there is an accident damaged type 7 in WATERTOWN! I bet it won't be too long until that is scrapped. I didn't know they ever stored type7s out there. I wouldn't have thought the tracks could handle the stress... plus, was the overhead wired converted before they took it down for good a few years back?
jiffydos

Postby jiffydos » Thu Jul 08, 2004 8:27 am

Ok... yet another question regarding this site...

How do PCCs get to the riverside yard for rebuild and/or scrapping?
jiffydos

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:29 am

Actually, what is stored in Watertown is the A end of 3648 and the B end of 3639 - 3639 rear-ended 3648 near Copley Square on April 1, 1989. The MBTA took the two undamaged ends of each car, mated them together, and put 3639 back into service (mismated B ends are always renumbered according to the original number of the A end). The damage to 3648A/3639B was too severe to repair, but the T couldn't scrap it immediately as the accident was under investigation and a lawsuit was pending. Two other wrecked Type 7s that had been stored at Watertown (3657 and 3672) were scrapped in 1998, but at that time there was still an open lawsuit regarding 3648's incident, so they could not scrap it then. I think that has been long resolved by now, but for some reason 3648 has remained there to this day, and there was little hurry to do anything with it because Watertown Carhouse itself had been closed for the past ten years. Now that the carhouse has reopened on a temporary basis, I wonder if 3648 is "in the way" and will be finally scrapped as a result.

I don't know how any of the wrecked Type 7s actually got out to Watertown, but they could either have trucked them out, or towed them out behind a pole-equipped work car (or one of a couple of Boeing LRVs that at the time were equipped with both pantograph and poles). The Watertown Line was still intact until 1994, and I believe all three wrecked Type 7s had been sent out there for storage before then, so unless the damage to the cars precluded their being towed out there by rail, that would be the easiest way to do it.

PCCs are trucked between Mattapan and Riverside on lowboy trailers. There are loading/offloading ramps at both locations for this purpose.
jwhite07

Postby jiffydos » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:33 pm

Wowa... thanks jwhite07... that's great info and explains it all. :)
jiffydos

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:13 pm

*sigh*... I just love pawing through old Rollsign magazines... so much information... :)

3648 and 3672 were sent to Watertown via flatbed truck on January 22, 1993. Still not sure how 3657 got there or exactly when, but it was sometime in 1991. Anyone who has the Rollsign 1991 Inventory issue care to help?

Although they weren't all so equipped at the same time, there were a total of five Boeing LRVs equipped with poles and designated as "tow cars" to occasionally move stuff back and forth to Watertown - 3400, 3402, 3404, 3414, and 3417. Numerous tow cars were needed at the time (late 80s and early 90s) because numerous Boeing cars were being retrofitted with roof-mounted air conditioning units at Watertown Carhouse. Of these, 3417 is the only one still around, and it's now a work car, although it no longer has trolley poles.

3400 had trolley poles and a pantograph as delivered from the factory, as it was one of they were the pre-production Boeing LRVs first sent to the MBTA for testing before much of the overhead wire was converted to be compatible with pantographs. When it was retired in 1990, 3414 got its poles from 3400.
jwhite07

Postby jiffydos » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:56 pm

I miss the Watertown line. :( <sniffle>
jiffydos

Postby MBTAFan » Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:09 pm

caduceus wrote:NETransit has it listed as scrapped in 1999.

You'll also notice that the MBTA is holding an unmodified Boeing, 3444 for Seashore. I would assume it may not be too long before you may be able to see it there. Probably just a matter of transportation costs for the museum to get it there.

If you're never been there, I highly recommend it: http://www.trolleymuseum.org
MBTAFan

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)