Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Postby Arborwayfan » Thu May 12, 2016 11:12 am

The proposed new design does seem pretty sensible. If Calgary can manage with open-air platforms on its rail transit, Somerville probably can. They'll be better than the ones on the B line, anyway.

I like that the redesign involves a lot less demolition of structures that are still usable (bridges, retaining walls). That's a big environmental benefit right there, and the T should point that out.

It is unfortunate that they will probably ditch the last 3,000 feet of the community path, because those are the 3,000 feet that would make the difference between getting from the path to the riverbank parks and paths being an easy, fun thing for anyone on foot or on a bike and being a hard slog only for the very committed. So I hope the viaducts can be built in such a way that adding the key last 3000 feet of the path can be done later with funds from some other source.
Arborwayfan

Postby artman » Mon May 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Arborwayfan wrote:The proposed new design does seem pretty sensible. If Calgary can manage with open-air platforms on its rail transit, Somerville probably can. They'll be better than the ones on the B line, anyway.

I like that the redesign involves a lot less demolition of structures that are still usable (bridges, retaining walls). That's a big environmental benefit right there, and the T should point that out.

It is unfortunate that they will probably ditch the last 3,000 feet of the community path, because those are the 3,000 feet that would make the difference between getting from the path to the riverbank parks and paths being an easy, fun thing for anyone on foot or on a bike and being a hard slog only for the very committed. So I hope the viaducts can be built in such a way that adding the key last 3000 feet of the path can be done later with funds from some other source.

I am confident they will get those funds, as a grant from somewhere
artman

Postby typesix » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:08 pm

typesix

Postby BandA » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Sounds like good news. Ever notice that they never report on what happens to the previous managers.
BandA

Postby Charliemta » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:53 am

Boy, you'd think they could at least build the one branch to Union Square.
Long live the "El"
Charliemta

Postby deathtopumpkins » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:22 am

BandA wrote:Sounds like good news. Ever notice that they never report on what happens to the previous managers.

That's because there wasn't one. The T had a couple of employees tasked with overseeing the project, and contracted out oversight beyond that. This is a new hire, rather than a replacement, intended to help them manage such a massive project.

[Disclaimer: I work for a firm that holds an owner's rep contract with the MBTA related to GLX]
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby rethcir » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:12 pm

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/ ... story.html

John Dalton, the new project manager for the $2.3 billion extension, spoke about the new timeline at Somerville High School on Wednesday night, and said the public should be confident that the T could complete the project in time.

Yeah, sure they can. Sure.
rethcir

Postby deathtopumpkins » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:20 am

In case anyone missed it, from that same meeting last night they revealed that some station names had changed:

"Washington St" is now "East Somerville"
"Lowell St" is now "Magoun Square"

And it was revealed that the target opening date for Union Square and East Somerville is now... 2021! As recently as 2 years ago they were still claiming 2017.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby The EGE » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am

The 2021 date has been out there for months now; it was known that they weren't going to make the 2017/2020 plans after the Baker-initiated teardown.

I like the East Somerville name; would have preferred Brickbottom, but this is still vastly better than Washington Street. East Somerville does also have some railroad history; the B&M and Eastern had East Somerville stations where Sullivan Square is now, which actually saw a few trains a day until the Saugus Branch was closed in 1958.

I'm iffy on Magoun Square. It is the geographic feature closest to the station, but it's 1600 feet away and equally close to Ball Square station.
The EGE

Postby rethcir » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 am

Agreed on Magoun. The Lowell St station is kind of on the outskirts of notable locations. North outskirts of Spring Hill, East outskirts of the Powderhouse neighborhood, south outskirts of Magoun.. I liked Lowell St as the designator, but can understand them wanting to brand it as Magoun. Shame it will never actually open.
rethcir

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Magoun Station, as opposed to Magoun Square Station, would be better. It implies it is relevant to the Magoun area, not at Magoun Sq itself. Otherwise, next best fitting name remains Somerville Junction -- there is a nearby park bearing the name, too.
BostonUrbEx

Postby bostontrainguy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Green Line extension is on Trump's Infrastructure List.
bostontrainguy

Postby Arlington » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:21 pm

bostontrainguy wrote:Green Line extension is on Trump's Infrastructure List.

Yes as seen in a presentation obtained by.McClatchy newspapers:
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politic ... 164.html#0[
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby deathtopumpkins » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:46 am

I note that on the GLX slide they list the project cost as $3 billion...

Sure would be nice if the feds would pay for the whole $3 billion project as planned before the big cuts!
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)