Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

Re: Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Postby bostontrainguy » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:22 pm

This is so infuriating. They knew when they moved there that there was a rail yard in their back yard. The trains were there long before they were. It's like people moving next to the airport complaining about the airplanes! The bottom line is they are going to cost us all a lot more money. Where's the common sense?
bostontrainguy

Postby GP40MC1118 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:31 pm

Brickbottom has been a pain since the place opened. As I've noted in the past, they got to be such a
nuisance calling into the dispatcher's office they were told specifically not to call that number. They
were also good about complaining of reefers up in old Yard 8. It pains me to see how much influence
they've accumulated over the years.
GP40MC1118

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am

Would it be worth the T's time/effort to take this redesign of the project as an opportunity to reconsider that decision? Seems that would be a much better way to save a decent chunk of cost, as opposed to cutting back on passenger amenities.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby Arlington » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:36 am

It was apparently untouchable in the review. I think all we got was that they would eminant-domain the same yard size, but reduce the amount of tracks laid for storage (because it had been sized for all 3-car service everywhere, which we won't reach for a while, and maybe can support with fewer cars given POP-boarding faster trips)

It may also be that the original Yard 8 plan was undersized: sufficient to cover the GLX but not sufficent to the total long-term needs. That part has been spun both ways.
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it. --H.D. Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Arlington

Postby bostontrainguy » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:01 pm

So is it possible that Yard 8 is now officially saved and will survive as a functioning rail yard possibly even expanded in the future if Mystic Wharf, more business at the produce center or anything else in the area comes online - or if Pan Am takes over all CSX business or NS buys Pan Am?

Someone said somewhere on these forums that the yard lead was spiked, but recent pics show trains still running through.
bostontrainguy

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Yard 8 is on borrowed time. Had GLX not stalled out, it'd probably be completely gone right now. It is currently in service, but is essentially just a single track and a single stub-ended siding off of it. There's basically no maintenance going on due to its impending future, and that's why the runaround is now a stub-ended siding.

When construction starts up again, and the Dirty Dirt trains stop running, I don't expect the yard to last much longer. Frankly, it ain't gonna be good once it is finally gone. Very silly design.
BostonUrbEx

Postby bostontrainguy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Finding this recent GLX proposed changes presentation, I have to ask if extending the thing to Mystic Valley Parkway/Route 16 is part of the deal:

http://www.greenlineextension.org/docum ... 121416.pdf

Just found this dated one month later:

"Expansion of the Project
The redesign of the GLX does not extend the project beyond the limits reviewed in the 2010 FEIR. College
Avenue in Medford remains as the terminus of the 3.4 mile Medford Branch Green Line extension from
the relocated Lechmere Station along the Lowell Line commuter rail ROW, and Union Square in Somerville
remains as the terminus of the Union 0.9 mile Square Branch operating along the MBTA Fitchburg Line
commuter rail ROW. Neither is there an increase in the square footage of the stations or vehicle
maintenance facility associated with the project. Rather, building size is decreased as a cost saving
measure. The Vehicle Maintenance Facility is reduced from 94,000 sf to 55,000 sf, the Transportation
Building is reduced from 8,200 sf to 1,400 sf, and the stations collectively are reduced from 118,000 sf to
11,000 sf. As there is no expansion, the project does not meet or exceed any new MEPA review
thresholds."

So whatever thoughts of an extension in December disappeared in January I guess.
bostontrainguy

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 am

Route 16 was always a nonbinding tack-on that was out-of-scope of the FEIR, so they are technically correct and technically nothing has changed. However, the Legislature did give its nonbinding commitment to build it, and the advocacy from Medford and Tufts (who have been buying up property like crazy near the would-be stop) to finish the job has kicked up considerably in intensity. It's a couple years too early to be telegraphing commitments for it when the thrust of the project is still yet to come...but also couple years too early to be stirring up a hornet's nest by giving off stray signs that they're backing off entirely. Statewide election year next year; Gov. Baker has no personal incentive whatsoever to jump the gun and make that into an inadvertent campaign issue, so don't expect any definitive statements.

Personally, I think with all the Tufts TOD redevelopment money flowing into that location to stretch the campus northward that we're going to see it queued up eventually if the rest of the project can stay within its revised budget without any disasters. Especially now that Tufts is chucking in some costs for College Ave. and can be a reliable bet to do the same @ 16. The state knows who butters the bread near the end of the line.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby sery2831 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:44 am

Some posts have been deleted or edited. Sorry for that folks.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Arlington » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:30 pm

The MBTA appears happy that they've qualified 3 contractors to participate in the design-build bidding process:
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news ... 6442457650

The Statements of Qualifications were received from three proposer teams, which include local, national and international firms. Below are the short listed design-build teams.

GLX CONSTRUCTORS
Fluor Enterprises, Inc
The Middlesex Corporation
Herzog Contracting Corp.
Balfour Beatty Infrastructure, Inc.

GREEN LINE PARTNERS
The Lane Construction Corporation
Salini Impregilo, S.p.A
Judlau Contracting, Inc.
LMH-C.M.C. di Ravenna Joint Venture, comprised of LM Heavy Civil Construction, LLC and Cooperativa Muratori & Cementisti-C.M.C di Ravenna Societa Cooperativa

WALSH BARLETTA GRANITE, JV
Walsh Construction Company II, LLC
Barletta Heavy Division, Inc.
Granite Construction, Inc.

Recall that as of December the (Ninth Revised) Project schedule was:
-Pre-Procurement Forum 11/16/16
-Issue RFQ 12/15/16
-Receive SOQ 1/26/17
-Issue Shortlist 2/25/17
-Issue Draft RFP 3/14/17
-One-on-Ones 4/1/17 – 8/2/17
-Issue Final RFP 5/23/17
-ATC Process 6/13/17 – 8/9/17
-DB Proposals Due 9/30/17
-Bid Opening/Select DB 11/28/17
-DB NTP 2/11/18

So Notice to Proceed is, for better or worse, a year from now.
When I hear the iron horse make the hills echo with his snort like thunder, shaking the earth with his feet, and breathing fire and smoke from his nostrils, it seems as if the earth had got a race now worthy to inhabit it. --H.D. Thoreau, Walden, 1854
Arlington

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Wow, so Skanska, White, and Kiewit were all ousted entirely from this project?
BostonUrbEx

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:47 am

BostonUrbEx wrote:Wow, so Skanska, White, and Kiewit were all ousted entirely from this project?

Yes, the FMCB voted to terminate their contracts a while back. They're redoing the entire procurement process.

And I'm not surprised none of those companies bid again. I wouldn't expect to see them interested in working with the T again any time soon.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:33 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:
BostonUrbEx wrote:Wow, so Skanska, White, and Kiewit were all ousted entirely from this project?

Yes, the FMCB voted to terminate their contracts a while back. They're redoing the entire procurement process.

And I'm not surprised none of those companies bid again. I wouldn't expect to see them interested in working with the T again any time soon.

I'm sure the feeling is very mutual given that these companies rigged their bids to loot the project, and got caught.

Postby deathtopumpkins » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:42 am

Do you have any proof that actually happened?

I've heard that accusation tossed around a lot in the last 2 years or so, but I've never seen any proof that WSK intentionally overbid or overcharged the MBTA for anything. If that were the case, then the estimated project cost should have been reduced back to near the initial estimate just by firing them and hiring a different contractor, which was not the case.
Call me Connor or DTP

deathtopumpkins

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:35 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:Do you have any proof that actually happened?

I've heard that accusation tossed around a lot in the last 2 years or so, but I've never seen any proof that WSK intentionally overbid or overcharged the MBTA for anything. If that were the case, then the estimated project cost should have been reduced back to near the initial estimate just by firing them and hiring a different contractor, which was not the case.

Http://www.constructiondive.com/news/re ... ov/410081/

Two to tango. The T didn't understand the mechanics of the chosen GMP bid process, which relies on establishing worst-case estimates up-front. They weren't policing that requirement, and WSK was being intentionally opaque with its estimates to game that blind spot for constant markups by releasing their estimates in little piecemeal drips.

Not illegal. Quite bad-faith, and thus they got what was coming to them at being blackballed from other GMP state bids. Yes...it is absolutely quite rich of the FCMB to heap blame at the contractor for being bad actors when the agency's nonexistent oversight and state's insistence on a bid process they didn't know how to run created a loophole big enough to drive a train through.

End result is what it is: everyone looks the bad guy, nobody can claim any moral high ground. Neither state nor contractor. For WSK it's been another body on the pile of a run of bad luck and controversy with mismanaged projects, so it's kind of moot whether they were allowed/not-allowed to rebid. They're a bit radioactive at the moment after their follies with the Apple spaceship campus.

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)