Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Expansion Beyond Lechmere

Postby Arlington » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:27 pm

Demolition of the Homan's building (Gilman Sq) has begun!
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby benboston » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:47 am

In the Focus 2040, under the Green Line, it says that they are considering extending the GL past College Avenue to the Mystic Valley Parkway.
benboston

Postby bgl » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:29 pm

benboston wrote:In the Focus 2040, under the Green Line, it says that they are considering extending the GL past College Avenue to the Mystic Valley Parkway.

Yes, this was always in the plans as a phase 2/stretch goal. With budgeting back in check and work finally happening, hopefully it gets done in this round.
bgl

Postby rmccown » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:35 am

Work progressing nicely on the piers for the Green Line over the BET tracks.
rmccown

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:49 am

bgl wrote:Yes, this was always in the plans as a phase 2/stretch goal. With budgeting back in check and work finally happening, hopefully it gets done in this round.

I'm hoping they get it out to West Medford this round. The 2040 plan should be Woburn Center via Winchester.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby Arlington » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Homans Demolition is completed:
https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/1114550936549117952

Bramdeisroberts wrote:
bgl wrote:Yes, this was always in the plans as a phase 2/stretch goal. With budgeting back in check and work finally happening, hopefully it gets done in this round.

I'm hoping they get it out to West Medford this round. The 2040 plan should be Woburn Center via Winchester.

I moved to West Medford in 2005 in the hope/belief that GLX would be "here" by 2011. Hah!

The reality is that once GLX gets to Boston Ave / MVP (U-Haul), it will be an occaision to re-evaluate
- GLX to Alewife via Porter
- BLX to Lynn
- OLX to Needham

Or really, that what we really need is clockface regional rail--to Anderson, Wedgemere, Lynn, & Dedham every :15, so what we really need is a commitment to operate the CR we have not a commitment to build heavy rail.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby l008com » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Bramdeisroberts wrote:

That's an interesting route, although I don't see it ever happening. Wedgemere is a good place to stop, Winchester does not need two commuter rail stations 18 feet apart. But if they ever go past that, which will be a very expensive project, going to Anderson probaly makes more sense than going to the center. In theory you could siphon 93 traffic from NH right on to the trains before they even get to 128. The Woburn loop is not preserved, there are some impassible spots in winchester.
My New YouTube Channel (Give It Time):
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Obviously, Wedgemere should be GLX, but I'd argue that in a perfect world, the GLX should continue through Winchester Center over a widened viaduct and then head to Woburn Center along the old and largely intact ROW, while continuing onwards along the same ROW to 128 where you could build a station at that massive Cummings property with the courthouse while redeveloping the old cinema and hotel across 128 into a park and ride/mixed-use transit oriented development project.

I say this, because again, in a perfect world, once you've clock-faced Lowell Line trains from Anderson to North Station, a GLX spur down that far, far less dense corridor (that's far less scale-appropriate for light rail than Woburn is) becomes a largely redundant idea.

And yeah, GLX to Alewife via Porter should also happen, but at Alewife, it should hang a right and continue down the Minuteman Bikeway ROW to Hartwell Ave and Bedford Center.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby charlesriverbranch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Arlington wrote:- GLX to Alewife via Porter

Why do Porter and Alewife need the Green Line when they already have the Red Line?
charlesriverbranch

Postby rethcir » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 pm

West Medford won’t happen for a long time unfortunately due to the historically protected stone rail bridge over the Mystic.
rethcir

Postby l008com » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:31 pm

rethcir wrote:West Medford won’t happen for a long time unfortunately due to the historically protected stone rail bridge over the Mystic.

Once it crosses that bridge, it's silly to stop at west medford when its smooth sailling all the way to wegemere.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:30 pm

The preservation status of the bridge probably doesn't stop them from building a second bridge right alongside it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby l008com » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:25 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:The preservation status of the bridge probably doesn't stop them from building a second bridge right alongside it.

Is it that special a bridge? I've gone under it many times, it didn't seem all that great.
John's Train Videos
l008com

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:28 pm

charlesriverbranch wrote:
Arlington wrote:- GLX to Alewife via Porter

Why do Porter and Alewife need the Green Line when they already have the Red Line?

Because once you get the Green Line to Alewife, extending it to Arlington Heights and eventually to Lexington or Bedford now becomes a real possibility. Furthermore, it adds rail transit to the incredibly dense and corridor between Alewife and Union Square that is currently served only by Porter, and you'd very likely see Southwest Corridor passenger volumes pretty quickly.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby rethcir » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:10 pm

I don’t think it’s worth bringing the GL to Porter, unless it will be replacing the CR stop. But stops at Wilson Square and maybe Conway Park (near Aeronaut and Market Basket) would certainly have ridership that might be too far from union or Porter. Keep in mind you can get from Porter to North Station in 10 minutes by CR and hopefully it will get electrified sometime in the next few decades.
rethcir

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)