Official Trackless Trolley Thread/Tracker

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Official Trackless Trolley Thread/Tracker

Postby danib62 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:06 pm

Patrick Boylan wrote:And please accept this gentle grammatical nudge, the possessive of it is "its". Apostrophes are a precious natural resource we must conserve. "It's" is the contraction of "it is".

In case you need help remembering: http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail89.html
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby 3rdrail » Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 pm

Got it, Mr. B ! hahahaha!!!

Yesiree, Boston was Pullman's favorite customer. Streetcars, Trackless Trolleys, Rapid Transit "heavy-rail"...even General Steel trucks that the R/T cars rode on were a Pullman-Standard owned subsidiary (that's why General Steels trucks are usually found mounted underneath Pullman cars). Here's a shot of one of Bostons post-war Pullman tracklesses. They were tanks and were replaced only when their bodies were falling apart !

Thanks for the news Dani ! Liked it better than the Globe. Thought that it was more complete and unbiased !

~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Disney Guy » Fri May 27, 2011 6:50 pm

One of the advantages of nub stop (bulb-out stop) operation (defacto nub stop operation pictured immediately above) is that on a wide street, the overhead wires can be hung further from the curb and the trackless trolleys can range over more lanes to better avoid double parked trucks and other obstructions.

Some time ago I saw a picture of a TT stranded in the middle of a street (not in Boston), unable to reach the wires for either direction of travel. This was caused by a combination of snow drifts and parked cars.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby 3rdrail » Fri May 27, 2011 10:54 pm

It's also a rules violation (126); "Unless circumstances or good judgement indicate otherwise, the Operator shall always stop at the curb or side of the highway or in an enclosed area for the purpose of receiving or discharging passengers."
(Although, I can't blame the operator. Those TT's had no power assisted steering. They had to be steered hand over hand.) The long trolley poles with swivelling harps give the TT's a twelve-feet leeway, both sides of the coach, though. (Nobody's getting written up on this one, trust me.)
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby jamesinclair » Sat May 28, 2011 3:34 am

Doesnt look like a rule violation to me. The pole marks the stop, but theres parking in front of it. Operator has no choice.
jamesinclair

Postby Teamdriver » Sat May 28, 2011 8:57 am

Why are there no "MTA" markings on that tank?
Teamdriver

Postby 3rdrail » Sat May 28, 2011 10:58 am

Teamdriver wrote:Why are there no "MTA" markings on that tank?

Are you referring to the Pullman shot above ? It's got it visible on the side - the large round "cities and towns served" logo, circa '47 - '56. The "goose egg" came after that, and unlike the "cities and towns", didn't have to be changed everytime that a towns only line was taken out or added.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Watertown Trackless = Mess

Postby FatNoah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:14 pm

I just took a stroll through Watertown square. It looks like a dump truck went through the intersection with the bed in the "up" position and ripped down all of the TT wires (and I do mean all). PD and FD were just arriving when I walked by. A coworker snapped a couple pictures. I'll link to them if/when I get them.
FatNoah

Postby FatNoah » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Attempt at posting picture...

FatNoah

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Ouch, that's brutal. :( I hope they get everything wired up ASAP!
BostonUrbEx

Postby Disney Guy » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 am

I would hope that Watertown and Belmont don't get fed up with all these wire takedowns that they want trackless trolleys discontinued.

I would hope that the trucking company pays enough to have the wires restrung properly and not done as a makeshift that might come down during a small dewirement at a later date not too far from now.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby danib62 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 am

So glad it was later in the day! I had to take the 71 to watertown to get to an interview yesterday morning.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby FatNoah » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am

Hats off to the T crews. When I left work last night at 8:30pm, the wires had been removed and the intersection was open. When I arrived to work about 5 minutes ago (9:30am), the wires were back up and I saw a 71 trolley waiting to start its route and there was no sign that anything had occurred.
FatNoah

Postby StevieC48 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Disney Guy wrote:I would hope that Watertown and Belmont don't get fed up with all these wire takedowns that they want trackless trolleys discontinued.

I would hope that the trucking company pays enough to have the wires restrung properly and not done as a makeshift that might come down during a small dewirement at a later date not too far from now.

The MBTA does it's own work and does not involve outside contractors to deal with wire issues in emergancies. The MBTA could bill the trucking company for the cost of parts and labor I can imiagine.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby danib62 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:23 pm

The T's wire crew is excellent and speedy. There was one weekend they had to take down the wires on mass ave to move a house and they got the job done lickity-split.
danib62

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)