Official Trackless Trolley Thread/Tracker

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Official Trackless Trolley Thread/Tracker

Postby Patrick Boylan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:06 am

djlong wrote:You'd be limited to Dayton, San Francisco and Boston.

Philadelphia and Seattle get no respect :(
and I believe you meant Cambridge, not Boston :)
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Postby djlong » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:36 am

I'd forgotten about Seattle's relatively new tunnel, but I never knew about Philly - and that's bad as I go to Philly to visit my daughter! I *should* have known that one...
djlong

Postby wicked » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Seattle's TT system goes far beyond the transit tunnel. It's a pretty standard feature on the very hilly routes.
wicked

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:18 pm

The MBTA would plain old just not allow it for the reasons stated above and others...liability, obligation to maintain once private vehicles use it- even if TT's don't, wire changing to public property, etc. And why would the MBTA give away the electricity that they purchase anyway ?
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby octr202 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm

Seattle's system actually no longer goes in the transit tunnel. The tunnel routes now operate with hybrids that can operate on battery only at times. They took out the trolleybus overhead when the catenary was installed to the Central Link light rail. A number of surface only routes remain trackless, but on a visit last November they appeared to operate weekdays only.

Philly's routes are confined to three routes in the northeast centered out of Frankford Terminal. Easy to miss if you're not in the right part of town (just like the MBTA's tracklesses).

But we're wandering off topic now...apologies.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Myrtone » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:51 pm

3rdrail wrote:The MBTA would plain old just not allow it for the reasons stated above and others...liability, obligation to maintain once private vehicles use it- even if TT's don't, wire changing to public property, etc. And why would the MBTA give away the electricity that they purchase anyway ?

Could the MBTA make some money off that electricity? And I was told somewhere else that Dayton once had trolleybuses operated by different companies sharing the same wires, each bus had onboard power metres for billing, who owned the wires in that case. Having different companies sharing the same wires would increase the benefit in being able to leapfrog! Have there ever been cases of ex

octr22 wrote:Seattle's system actually no longer goes in the transit tunnel. The tunnel routes now operate with hybrids that can operate on battery only at times. They took out the trolleybus overhead when the catenary was installed to the Central Link light rail. A number of surface only routes remain trackless, but on a visit last November they appeared to operate weekdays only.

Why did they replace trolleybuses with 'hybrids?' These should replace other buses which also supply on-board loads with on-board generation, not trolleybuses. Hybrid wood gas electric buses anyone?
Last edited by Myrtone on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Also known as Myrtonos
Myrtone

Postby Type7trolley » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:35 pm

But how far do the poles extend from the actual base? Private vehicles can be as long as six metres, like many 1960s Cadillacs, and maybe even the larget minivans today.

I think we'll sooner see the entire trackless system reconverted to streetcars, and run with newly manufactured Type 5's, than we'll have private citizens in their 1960's Cadillacs equipped with meters and trolley poles driving down mass ave and through the Harvard tunnel.

That said, if you have all of these things at your disposal (along with enough $$$ to pay off the DOT as well as the T) ....be sure to post the pictures here. ;)
Type7trolley

Postby 3rdrail » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Type7trolley wrote: I think we'll sooner see the entire trackless system reconverted to streetcars, and run with newly manufactured Type 5's, than we'll have private citizens in their 1960's Cadillacs equipped with meters and trolley poles driving down mass ave and through the Harvard tunnel.

SSSHHH!!! That's supposed to be hush-hush. I heard that J.G.Brill has the contract and that Rex Trailer and Major Mudd are going to be in the first Type 5 to enter the tunnel ! Fares are going to be 15 cents.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Patrick Boylan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:57 pm

15 cent fares are probably more expensive to collect than the revenue they'll provide. I bet the deficit would be lower if they charged no fares, and consequently had no revenue collection expenses.
Patrick Boylan

Location: Here is a stupid picture, pay attention to me. Burlington Township, NJ 08016

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)