New Signal / Traffic Light System on the C Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Signal Priority

Postby octr202 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:14 am

CRail wrote:Station portals throughout the system have sensors installed which detect objects passing through them to set off an alarm in the OCC. They're programmed to know what the shape of a train is, and the shape of small rodents so that they don't go off for ether of the two. But if something the size and shape of a person passes through, it sends an alert to the appropriate dispatcher. Please tell me what study (and at what cost) went into proving this non-sense beneficial to service, and then the decision to purchase, install, and maintain this system. Really, THAT is worth more to the T than a few lousy detectors to increase the quality of service? If your next door neighbor can't afford a box of your daughter's girl scout cookies, but parks his brand new Mercedes SUV in his 2 car garage every night, it's not really the cost of the cookies keeping him from buying.

I'll bet anything that that was homeland security money that paid for that. Plenty of money for that, but operating things for passengers? Nah...
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Re: New Signal / Traffic Light System on the C Line

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Nope. Signal priority is a frivolous luxury with no demonstrated benefit that we are not interested in pursuing. In fact, we don't even have time to talk about it with the citizens of Brookline about it. Much less drop six figures this year on studies and consultants to collect the data we're sure-as-a-bus-has-tires will not change our opinion about how utterly unimportant it is.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Disney Guy » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:11 am

Dozens of instant engineers each putting in their two cents worth and not billing for their time can actually make a good substitute for studies costing six figures.

Even the train crew, who may think that it doesn't matter how long a trip takes given that their wages stay the same, will benefit by signal priority because a trip completed sooner means more time for a snack break at the end of the line.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Traffic Light Systems on the Green Line

Postby shawnp » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 pm

Revisiting an old thread -- I was waiting for an outbound trolley at BU East this week and I noticed this spray painted on the asphalt next to the tracks near the intersection of Comm Ave and Cummington Street. It looks like "Trolley Detec" but its faded and hard to read. When Comm Ave was redone from Kenmore to the BU Bridge a few years ago was signal priority implimented for a short stretch on the Boston College line or does this maybe refer to something else?

shawnp

Postby Matthew » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:02 pm

There is a trolley detector present on the design sheet for the intersection but I have no evidence if it is physically installed. Maybe?
Matthew

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)