New Signal / Traffic Light System on the C Line

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

New Signal / Traffic Light System on the C Line

Postby mattster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Took this today at Englewood Avenue:

mattster

Postby danib62 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:07 pm

I saw this mentioned on ne.transportation. It's the new federal standard of what light rail signals should look like if their running along with street traffic. It's supposed to be less confusing for drivers.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby sery2831 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:14 pm

SEPTA uses a similar system. They have a go '||' and a stop '=' light at intersections where the trolley is on a reservation. I do like this less confusing system and would love to see it on Comm Ave.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby PraiseX6 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:48 pm

Neat signals, I'm happy they are doing this for car drivers - should be less confusing to them. John I'm sure if they added them to the C line - they would do an upgrade on the B line!
PraiseX6

Postby Arborway » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:04 pm

PraiseX6 wrote:Neat signals, I'm happy they are doing this for car drivers - should be less confusing to them. John I'm sure if they added them to the C line - they would do an upgrade on the B line!

Upgrading the B line is something they do when they've got money, but they've run out of ways to spend it in Brookline.

The B is just a disgrace - especially out on the far end.
Arborway

Postby mattster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:11 pm

Arborway wrote:
PraiseX6 wrote:Neat signals, I'm happy they are doing this for car drivers - should be less confusing to them. John I'm sure if they added them to the C line - they would do an upgrade on the B line!

Upgrading the B line is something they do when they've got money, but they've run out of ways to spend it in Brookline.

The B is just a disgrace - especially out on the far end.

Yeah no one will spend money on a line that serves mostly college kids and immigrants. All I can say is I'll be glad when I don't live on the B Line anymore.
mattster

Postby danib62 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:40 pm

Putting in these signals had nothing to do with the T. This was the Town of Brookline's work and they decided to put these in when they were replacing lights all up and down Beacon st. In order for the B line to switch the city of Boston would have to decide to do something similar.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby danib62 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:44 pm

Here is a link to the DOT's site about the new signals. http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/HTM/2003r1/pa ... ngdesc.htm
danib62

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 am

I like it, not a bad idea and I am sure the Town of Brookline had to pay a pretty $$ to get it installed. I wonder if this was something they were planning in the works to meet the federal standard or more or less something they were forced to do or be fined.

If it's federal it probably just cuts down to SAFETY, thats my guess :-D
GP40MC 1116

Postby octr202 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:19 am

At least for east coast operations, Baltimore appears to be the first to go with these "bar" type signals. They were used on the Howard St. segment from the beginning:

LRV signal in top right of photo at Lexington Market

The Brookline signals look like they're just slightly modified conventional traffic lights, whereas Baltimore's are completely different signal heads. Baltimore's are often placed in odd locations, and the signals themselves more resemble crosswalk signal heads than traffic lights.

San Francisco (ironically for us) uses a signal that seems like it'd be a perfect fit for Boston
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby danib62 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:19 am

GP40MC 1116 wrote:I like it, not a bad idea and I am sure the Town of Brookline had to pay a pretty $$ to get it installed.
I don't see why they would cost much more then a standard traffic light.
danib62

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:42 am

Comm Ave's getting rebuilt first on the BU stretch and then up to Warren St. (don't hold your breath on these project being completed before we're all elderly), so they will probably do the same there. As part of the Packard's-to-Warren reconfiguration of the roadway the reservation's getting moved to the center of the road, which means they'll have to install new signals.

Other reason for doing this is that LED traffic lights are much brighter, more energy efficient, and don't burn out like incandescent traffic lights often do. That's why the state and nearly all cities are putting in LED lights on their road signals. All those trolley signals used to be pretty dim and required constant bulb changes (unlike the subway signals which use two bulbs per color to have a backup), so these will pay for themselves over time.

Are they doing this on the E reservation, too? Those signals aren't that old, but I'm sure they'd look for any excuse to do that before touching the B since that seems to be standard operating procedure.

And are they ever going to implement freakin' signal priority on the surface branches???
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby typesix » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:08 am

The work being done on Beacon St has state and federal money input , so that's another reason for the change in lights. Brookline and Mass Highway are overseeing the project
Last edited by typesix on Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
typesix

Postby PraiseX6 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:12 am

How much money are we talking about in this upgrade?
PraiseX6

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:00 pm

octr202 wrote:San Francisco (ironically for us) uses a signal that seems like it'd be a perfect fit for Boston

LOL! That is great! :-D
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)