Type 7 Overhaul Program

Discussion relating to the commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (Boston Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.mbta.com.

Moderator: sery2831

Re: Type 7 Overhaul Program

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:09 pm

sery2831 wrote:
Finch wrote:Folks, the Type 7 is not getting a new propulsion system. Some modest propulsion overhaul work is being done, but the existing DC system is not going anywhere. Figured I'd nip that in the bud before this thread goes off the rails (so to speak) with propulsion speculation. :)

From what I understand the cars are getting new interiors, new propulsion systems, and new HVAC systems.

Edit. A source I have is saying that the propulsion system is not going to be replaced. Since the RFP did not include that... Seems that in the press releases have picked up wording they are being replaced and not rebuilt. A change could have occurred, but most likely a mistake in the press release.

New interiors?! As in...
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:38 pm

I like the existing interiors on the Type 7s. Way better than the doctor's office motif the Type 8s have.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby djimpact1 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:I like the existing interiors on the Type 7s. Way better than the doctor's office motif the Type 8s have.

Agreed! Well-stated visual with the "doctor's office motif". There's something just extremely un-inviting about the Type 8 interior.

I hope no major renovation on the cab door/wall or floor happens. I didn't realize until the LRVs were completely gone & Type 8s were running full-force how much I actually like the faux wood grain interior features. Why that is, I have no clue...I think growing up with the 0600 Blue Lines, Green Line LRVs & the still-running 01200 Orange Line cars, I've come to find comfort in this paneling.

I wouldn't mind an interior lighting upgrade though for the Type 7s. And hopefully Alstom will put SOMETHING over the open (interior) side rollsign cases. I don't need to see the back of the LCD sign boxes while I'm riding...it depresses me to no end, as it reminds me how the rollsigns are long gone.
The new age MBTA enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby SM89 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:33 am

Yea, I hope they keep the wood paneling too. The new blue line cars feel cold without it.
SM89

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:25 am

djimpact1 wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:I like the existing interiors on the Type 7s. Way better than the doctor's office motif the Type 8s have.

Agreed! Well-stated visual with the "doctor's office motif". There's something just extremely un-inviting about the Type 8 interior.

I hope no major renovation on the cab door/wall or floor happens. I didn't realize until the LRVs were completely gone & Type 8s were running full-force how much I actually like the faux wood grain interior features. Why that is, I have no clue...I think growing up with the 0600 Blue Lines, Green Line LRVs & the still-running 01200 Orange Line cars, I've come to find comfort in this paneling.

I wouldn't mind an interior lighting upgrade though for the Type 7s. And hopefully Alstom will put SOMETHING over the open (interior) side rollsign cases. I don't need to see the back of the LCD sign boxes while I'm riding...it depresses me to no end, as it reminds me how the rollsigns are long gone.

It's quite likely the interior lighting's going to go all-LED. They've been trialing that on a couple Red and Orange cars with tube-shaped retrofits that fit in the old fluorescent sockets and just replace the fluorescent ballast with whatever voltage converter the LED's need. I haven't caught one yet, but they're supposed to be hella bright on the inside. Now, if only they'd replace those godawful dot matrix LCD destination signs with proper LED's like the bus fleet.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 pm

As for new lights.
Back on January 18th. I boarded 3658B and it had had one half of the cars lights replaced. They were bright and the plastic shades were replaced as well. It was super bright. Oddly only one half the car was completed. I assumes at the time it was a test?
I documented that on a post here.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=91168

I road that car a again a few weeks later. However I have never seen it again.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby cybah » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:54 pm

I ride on this car with the LED's some mornings. Seems to be (at least for me) a E train to Lechmere, usually between 6am and 630am. (yes I am an early bird for work). It doesn't happen every day but every so often..

Honestly, I can't stand them. I've been on a few buses that have been converted also. They just are not easy on the eyes. I usually have to put my sunglasses on because they are VERY bright. (Or maybe its because its just so early in the morning for that kind of lighting..)

As far as the Type 7 Overhaul.

I'm in the fence about keeping what's there (existing or installing new-similar like finishes).

The tan interior.. I'm sure when these cars were put into service this was a lighter tan (or white) (someone please correct me..), it also reminds me of any plastic beige computer case you bought in the 80s that had that fire retardant added to it, which due to sun exposure, made the plastic yellow/darker. (Think Apple IIe cases which darken/yellow over time).

The paneling I'm meh about, i can take it or leave it.

I would like to see hard plastic seats instead of the padding. Too many times i've come across one that had a puddle of something on it (Would you wanna sit on that seat even after its dried?)

Lighting.. meh, see above.

Signage, better LED signs on the sides and front, AND inside (for station announcements). Come on T, they make 'higher resolution' ones now, no need for the 1980s game show displays. And I agree they should just remove the plexiglass window where the roll sign was.

I'm also curious to know if it is possible to install SF MUNI style lifts in the stairwells of the Type 7's. Yes I'm well aware that they are two totally different cars but maybe (in a pipe dream) it could be done during the overhaul. This would make the Type 7's HC Accessible.

As far as the Type 8s. I laughed at MBTA3247's description of "Doctor's office". Honestly I always thought the Type 8's were very 80s motif inside. The pattern on the walls and colors reminds me of "Double Dare" (TV show) or some 80s-themed cafe. Too much pastels... its not 1989 anymore.
cybah

Postby ns3010 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 pm

NETransit lists 3625 as having been shipped to Hornell (and has for a few days already, I believe).
ns3010

Postby ns3010 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:54 am

From a source who was at the Alstom plant over the weekend, neither of the cars were visible outside. I would imagine both are inside the plant either mostly for fully stripped at this point.
ns3010

Postby ns3010 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:48 pm

3636 is on its way to Hornell. Not my video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6j7yyHDEjk
ns3010

Postby BandM4266 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:45 pm

I have learned that another transport truck has arrived at Riverside to haul another car off to Hornell. I believe that this will bring the total number of cars out for rebuild to seven. Truck maybe on the road tonight or head out first thing in the morning headed west.
BandM4266

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:55 pm

There any updates on how the program is progressing with the 4 cars that have been in Hornell for months?
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby ns3010 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:16 pm

BandM4266 wrote:I have learned that another transport truck has arrived at Riverside to haul another car off to Hornell. I believe that this will bring the total number of cars out for rebuild to seven. Truck maybe on the road tonight or head out first thing in the morning headed west.

NETransit would seem to confirm this, as 3634 is newly listed as out for overhaul. The seven cars out are:

3614- Sent 9/12
3625-Sent 12/12
3633-Sent 7/13 (Will receive damage repairs from 10/12 Brigham Circle Sideswipe)
3634-Sent 7/13 (Will receive damage repairs from 10/12 Brigham Circle Sideswipe)
3636- Sent 1/13 (B-end damaged at Government Center 5/09, A-end will either be remated with another B-end or parted out and scrapped)
3640- Sent 7/13
3677-Sent 7/13

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:There any updates on how the program is progressing with the 4 cars that have been in Hornell for months?

Assuming that everything is on schedule (there is no evidence to the contrary), the first car(s) should be back in Boston within a few months.
ns3010

Postby MBTA1070 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:20 pm

3615 has been sent to Hornell for Evaluation as of 8/13.
MBTA1070

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:41 pm

Will the overhauled cars be coming back with paint at all? Get that rust and grime off of there - and make sure they're sent back in that dark-olive-with-a-thing-silver-stripe scheme! ;-)
diburning wrote: I hope they've learned by now.... If not, we'll probably have the type 9s made by Hyundai or something.

danib62 wrote: I'd say no but who is gonna pull him over and issue the citation?
3rdrail wrote: sery2831
BostonUrbEx

PreviousNext

Return to MBTA Rail Operations