North-South Rail Link Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: North-South Rail Link Discussion

Postby BandA » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:14 pm

The number of additional riders that would take a through train from Maine to New York would be what, 100-200 a day? Amtrak will go along for the ride, but won't be in the driving seat on such a project.

Money would be better spent building express tracks for the Red, Orange and Green Lines, and completing the SSX and train storage yard(s).

I can't think of any public works project in MA that has come in below budget. Oh wait, the Ted Williams Tunnel did come in on-time and under budget, but it was fabricated elsewhere.

Someone should have stood up and canceled the Big Dig when it went about 20X over budget. The difference is the Big Dig was instantly filled up to capacity - the NSRL will struggle with empty slots.
BandA

Postby quad50cal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:25 am

The EGE wrote:It's a faked cost number based on unrealistic assumptions and contractor graft.

Twelve billion is absolutely off the wall inaccurate. There is no way that NSRL can cost more than East Side Access ($10 Billion) which is significantly more complicated. ESA has had to contend with Hurricane Sandy flooding, contracts cancelled for Mafia ties, running afoul of contamination from EPA Superfund site(s), construction necessitating the coordination of Amtrak, LIRR and MN and of course tunneling in and around train lines that are busy 24 hours.

ESA should be the upper bound, not the lower bound.
quad50cal

Postby ceo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:33 am

The northsouthraillink.com site describes a number of comparable projects, nearly all of them more complicated than the NSRL and significantly less expensive than this estimate.

It's important to note that this isn't just about running Amtrak trains through; it will massively improve regional connectivity and also relieve congestion at North and South Stations.
ceo

Postby rethcir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 am

BandA wrote:The number of additional riders that would take a through train from Maine to New York would be what, 100-200 a day? Amtrak will go along for the ride, but won't be in the driving seat on such a project.

Money would be better spent building express tracks for the Red, Orange and Green Lines, and completing the SSX and train storage yard(s).

I'd consider the ridership potential from ME/NH to Boston. If this opens the door to better frequencies and faster service from the NH seacoast to Boston (1hr or less), you essentially create a new commuter rail branch and will dramatically increase ridership. I don't know if that idea intersects with NSRL or not.
rethcir

Postby BandA » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:08 pm

I think commuter rail to Portsmouth is a separate project and thread. IIRC, there is a bridge that is out, and the track would have to be somehow rerouted around the Seabrook nuclear power plant. Nobody has mentioned it recently.
BandA

Postby rethcir » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 pm

There is more to the Seacoast than Portsmouth - generally us NH types consider Exeter, Durham and Dover to be part of the seacoast region. I was referring to the existing Amtrak stops in NH in that context.
rethcir

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)