Cheapest Way from South Station to Newburyport

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Cheapest Way from South Station to Newburyport

Postby PARailWiz » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:05 pm

I'm from the Norristown, PA area and I'll be traveling to Newburyport for a wedding this fall. I'm taking Amtrak to South Station and I'd like any advice I can get on the subject line (cheapest way from there to Newburyport). Thanks!
PARailWiz

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:21 pm

You have two choices:

1) Walk from the South Station train terminal to the adjacent South Station bus terminal and take a C&J Trailways bus to Newburyport, the first stop.

2) Get off the Amtrak train at Back Bay instead of South Station. Take the Orange Line from Back Bay to North Station. At North Station, take a Newburyport Line train to Newburyport, the last stop.

Cost should not be the primary consideration when you make this choice. The bus is $9.50, while the train is $6.00 plus another $1.25 for the subway token.

Instead, look at the schedules for both services, and also where you want to end up when you get to Newburyport. The bus is more frequent and is non-stop, but its Newburyport station is pretty far out of town, off I-95. The train station is much closer, but you're still looking at a 20-minute walk or so to the center of town.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:47 pm

Since you asked the question on a railroad forum, I'm pretty sure you'd opt to take the train.......and since you're attending a wedding, Im sure someone can pick you up at the train station....lol

As ron stated, get off at Back Bay station, take the orange line inbound (toward Oak Grove), this will be the track to your right when walking down the stairs to the subway platform. Take the orange line 6 stops to North Station. The Commuter rail station at North Station is right across from the subway station at street level.
CSX Conductor

Postby PARailWiz » Mon Jun 28, 2004 9:24 am

Wow, I completely forgot about Back Bay station. Thanks for the good advice!
PARailWiz

Postby efin98 » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:21 pm

If time isn't an issue but money is, what about walking from South Station to North Station and enjoying the sights and good weather? It saves you the cost of the subway fare and is not too far of a walk between the two stations.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:33 pm

It's about a half-hour walk -- if you don't get lost or distracted on the way. Be sure to have a good, detailed street map of downtown Boston that includes both stations. You can either walk along the waterfront (Atlantic Avenue - Commercial Street - Causeway Street) or through the middle of the financial district (Congress Street - Canal Street).

Continuing Big Dig construction work may result in unexpected pedestrian detours.

This may not be a feasible suggestion if you have a significant amount of luggage.
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:53 pm

Since you say money is an important consideration, be sure to give yourself time to buy your commuter rail ticket at a station, rather than on the train. You can buy it at Back Bay, South Station, or North Station. Ask for a "Zone 8" ticket.

If you wait to buy it on the train, there may be a $1 or $2 surcharge, depending on the time of day and the mood of the conductors.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:57 pm

Ron, a 30 minute walk.....you must walk slowly and leisurely. lol
CSX Conductor

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:39 am

I can probably do it in 20, but I know where I'm going and a tourist probably doesn't.
Ron Newman

Postby PARailWiz » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:31 am

Walking is an option, as I only plan to take two sets of clothes and a book or two. Basically when I said cheapest, I meant most economical (while still riding on rails). I know here in SEPTA territory, if you don't know what you're doing you'll be royally ripped off taking mass transit, and i'm trying to avoid that on my trip.
-jz
PARailWiz

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 9:48 am

If you' ve got the time and it isn't raining, by all means take the walk from South Station to North Station. Whether you walk along the waterfront or along the Big Dig corridor, you'll love the scenery.

Just be sure to bring a good map and a Newburyport train schedule (which I linked to above).

There's no chance you'll be "ripped off' by the MBTA. It's a $6 (Zone 8) ticket as long as you buy it at a station instead of on the train. I recommend buying it as soon as you arrive at South Station.

Sit on the right side of both the Amtrak and the commuter train, because that's where the water views are.
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:02 pm

Well since you say you will be travelling light then a walk along Atlantic Ave. or up Congress Street is a decent way to enjoy some of your time. Personally I recomend walking from Atlantic Ave. to Congress Street then taking in the sights along Congress Street. You will pass by the headhouses to the North Station and Haymarket Green and Orange Line stations along the route and pass by the famous Quincy Market, Fanuel Hall, and if you get in on a Saturday the Haymarket as well. While the walk won't be a train ride, at least you can soak in the historical places that the subways were built around :wink:.

If you take Atlantic Ave. you will be walking along the route of the former Atlantic Ave. El, which has long since been demolished. You will also see the headhouse to the Blue Line's Aquarium station as well.

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy your trip and remember that you are only getting a piece of what the Boston transit system has to offer :).
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:31 am

If you walk up Congress Street, you'll also pass by the Old State House, which has an entrance to State Street Station built into its ground level.
Ron Newman

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)