South Station Operation

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:37 pm

The EC1 is neede to, move into the route, or the other connecting routes (B & A/NEC)?
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:The EC1 is neede to, move into the route, or the other connecting routes (B & A/NEC)?

its needed to move on the secondary because there are no signals, the only signals are coming onto the B&A at CP21, crossing the Walpole diamond and the dwarf signal leading onto the NEC at MP204
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby paulrail » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:50 am

When the old Walpole Tower closed, the controls (levers?) were moved to the 2nd floor "tower" in the current passenger sation.

Does anyone know if the controls are still in the tower ? (just as Buzzards Bay Tower still has it's original machine)
paulrail

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:55 pm

paulrail wrote:When the old Walpole Tower closed, the controls (levers?) were moved to the 2nd floor "tower" in the current passenger sation.

Does anyone know if the controls are still in the tower ? (just as Buzzards Bay Tower still has it's original machine)
Not sure if they are still there, but I know for sure that they interlocking is controlled remotely by the MBCR Branch Line Dispatcher from the CETC in South Station. In total there are only 5 electric switches in Walpole, including Walpole West.
CSX Conductor

Postby Tom coughlin » Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:20 pm

When the old Walpole Tower closed, the controls (levers?) were moved to the 2nd floor "tower" in the current passenger sation.

I haven't been in the "tower" at Walpole in about 30 years. It was pretty empty with no signs of levers (I looked). The interlocking machine was in the ticket office and was placed there in the late 1940's. That machine, without levers, was still there last I checked and the Walpole Historical Society has the old model board.

Prior to that, there was an "amstrong" interlocking tower in the south east quadrant across the Framingham Secondary from the station. That dated somewhere from the very late 1890's to the early teens. That tower was a near twin to Attleboro Tower.

If the pass. station tower ever contained an interlocking is still unconfirmed. There are no signs of any levers in the floor or in the basment. Besides, the ticket office is right below; where would mechanism fit? By the time my grandfather started working there in 1917, he told me that one of the agents would sleep up there when not on shift.

I think that the tower may have been used as an office. Maybe a yard office. To get upstairs, you enter a door on the Framingham Sec side right next to the ticket office. You can see traces of where a door once was between the stairs and the ticket office.

Tom Coughlin
Tom coughlin

Postby dbperry » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:14 am

Here is a picture of the South Station dispatch screen (although this is now outdated, tracks have been rearranged....):

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=dbperry

Regards

Dave
dbperry

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:30 pm

dbperry wrote:Here is a picture of the South Station dispatch screen (although this is now outdated, tracks have been rearranged....):

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... ey=dbperry

Regards

Dave
As the photo says that is just a monitor for the Information desk. The dipatchers can each zoom in on their specific territories on their screens which are same size instead of staring at the main board in the front of the CETC, which is like a big movie screen.

One thing I noticed with the photographers description of the screen/colors, when signals are showing green on the CETC screen and or monitors that does not mean they have a green (Clear) signal. Instead all that shows the dispatcher is that the signal is displating a permissive signal (anything from a Restricting to a Clear). :wink:

Also, one track he didn't mention is the Wye Connector, which is just to the left of the Herald siding.
CSX Conductor

Re: South Station Operation

Postby MNCRR9000 » Sat May 26, 2012 7:35 pm

Happened to come across this link about the Boston South Station CETC and backup facility in Cobble Hill. Is the
backup facility also the same location as the MBCR Rail Operations center for the North side?

http://www.rdkengineers.com/transportat ... lities.cfm
MNCRR9000

Postby CRail » Sat May 26, 2012 8:48 pm

MNCRR9000 wrote:Is the backup facility also the same location as the MBCR Rail Operations center for the North side?
Yes it is.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu May 31, 2012 11:13 pm

Btw, since this thread was originally started a few territories have changed. South Bay Tower has been gone for a few years now. South Bay Interlocking is now controlled by Amtrak Dorchester.

The B&A from CP-3 east is controlled by Amtrak Terminal Dispatcher (Dorchester Dispatcher on weekends).
CSX Conductor

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)