South Station Operation

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

South Station Operation

Postby petercyganjr » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:21 am

Does the MBTA or Amtrak control train operation into and out of South Station, including routing to the platform tracks? If the MBTA does, where do they hand off to Amtrak on the Shore Line? If Amtrak does, where do they hand off to the MBTA on the Plymouth/Middleboro Line?
petercyganjr

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:38 pm

Amtrak & the MBCR dispatchers for South Side are in same office upstairs @ South Station.

Amtrak:
Terminal Dispatcher: controls Cove Interlocking to South Station. (On weekends from Friday 1100pm to Sunday 1100pm also controls Dorchester Dispatcher's territory).
Corridor Dispatcher: West of Cove to Junction Interlocking (Canton Junction) including the interlocking itself.
Main Line Dispatcher: West of Junction to a point around Westerly RI. (I forget because not qualified beyond PVD).
Shore Line Dispatcher: Takes over from Main Line until Mill River, just east of New Havem where it becomes Metro-North territory.
Springfield Line Dispatcher: Springfield Station to Mill River on Hartford Line
Dorchester Dispatcher: West of Tower One Interlocking (all switches into South Station) to LOOP Interlocking, including the interlocking itself, on Dorchester Main and as far west as Cabot on Old Colony, including controlling of Cabot.

South Bay Tower Operator: Controls South Bay Interlocking and movements in/out of Southampton Street Yard & the Front Yard...also responsible for moves on the Loops.

MBCR: Old Colony Dispatcher: South of Cabot Interlocking to Plymouth/Kingston/Middleboro entirely. Will also have Greenbush when operations begin.

MBCR Branch Line Dispatcher: Needham Branch from Forest&Plains @ Forest Hills to Needham Heights. Stoughton: entire Branch from just west of Junction to Stoughton. FranklinBranch from just west of Read Interlocking (@ Readville where it branches off of the Corridor) to Milford. This is only signalled to Forge Park and then Yard Limits rules apply west of there to Milford....pax trains only go about a mile west of Forge for headrooom for double drafts. Controls the Dorchester Branch from just west of South Bay (bridge over SouthEast Expressway) to Sprague Street @ Readville where it ties into Franklin Branch, as well as single track connecting Dorchester Branch to the Corridor @ Transfer INterlocking. :wink:

MBCR Old Colony controls Old Colony as well as Branch Line's territory from Friday 1100pm to Sunday 1100pm.
CSX Conductor

Postby johnpbarlow » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 pm

And I'm guessing CSX handles dispatching west of Cove on the Framingham/Worcester line?
johnpbarlow

Postby theinsider » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:41 pm

johnpbarlow wrote:And I'm guessing CSX handles dispatching west of Cove on the Framingham/Worcester line?

You are correct.
theinsider

South Station Operations

Postby petercyganjr » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:27 am

Thanks for the the reply. The info is great and just what I was looking for.
petercyganjr

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:17 pm

CSX Cond,

Can pax trains go from Forge Park all the way to Milford even for testing runs? I thought they could.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby sery2831 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:46 pm

In theory they could, but you would have to find a conductor and engineer qualified down there.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:00 am

Oh, I though you guys are qualified (automatically) to go all the way to the end (Milford). They may be trained for that portion as well, but let's see, since that area could get and extension to serve Milford customers so that it'll boost ridership.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby sery2831 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:16 am

Being qualified as an engineer, that engineer would have to make a few runs as a student. And run that section of track once a year after. They are not going to pay have everyone run trains down there. The only passenger train that goes down there is the geometry train, and that is most likely piloted by a road foreman.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Oh I see, but as I was saying, I know this is a little bit O/T, but I suggest they also extend the Franklin line to Milford., similar to NB/FR already discussed.
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm

There are too many crossings to protect also, they are all protected by cross-bucks only because WP-21 (B736) is the only regular move on that stretch. I remember going to Milford on an MBTA special with the Mass Bay RR Enthusiasts, but that was back in the late 80's/early 90's. The MBCR track dogs use some of that rail as practice grounds replacing rail when they have down time, and have been replacing existing rail with heavier rail as practice.....this I was told by a track foreman last year.
CSX Conductor

Postby 130MM » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:25 am

sery2831 wrote:Being qualified as an engineer, that engineer would have to make a few runs as a student. And run that section of track once a year after. They are not going to pay have everyone run trains down there. The only passenger train that goes down there is the geometry train, and that is most likely piloted by a road foreman.

John, there are at least two engineers qualified as I have never had a Road Foreman pilot the train. They are former CSX and Conrail. These runs keep them qualified.

DAW
130MM

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:49 am

CSX Conductor wrote:Amtrak & the MBCR dispatchers for South Side are in same office upstairs @ South Station.

Amtrak:
Terminal Dispatcher: controls Cove Interlocking to South Station. (On weekends from Friday 1100pm to Sunday 1100pm also controls Dorchester Dispatcher's territory).
Corridor Dispatcher: West of Cove to Junction Interlocking (Canton Junction) including the interlocking itself.
Main Line Dispatcher: West of Junction to a point around Westerly RI. (I forget because not qualified beyond PVD).
Shore Line Dispatcher: Takes over from Main Line until Mill River, just east of New Havem where it becomes Metro-North territory.
Springfield Line Dispatcher: Springfield Station to Mill River on Hartford Line
Dorchester Dispatcher: West of Tower One Interlocking (all switches into South Station) to LOOP Interlocking, including the interlocking itself, on Dorchester Main and as far west as Cabot on Old Colony, including controlling of Cabot.

South Bay Tower Operator: Controls South Bay Interlocking and movements in/out of Southampton Street Yard & the Front Yard...also responsible for moves on the Loops.

what are the frequencies for all the dispatchers, it's still 160.920, correct? what are the frequencies for the Dorchester dispatcher and the south bay tower operator?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:24 pm

Another Question to CSX Conductor,

Who dispatches the entire length of the Framingham secondary (from the B & A at Milemarker 21 to Mansfield/NEC MP 204)?

South Station perhaps?
~Robert Paniagua
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:30 pm

Robert Paniagua wrote:Another Question to CSX Conductor,

Who dispatches the entire length of the Framingham secondary (from the B & A at Milemarker 21 to Mansfield/NEC MP 204)?

South Station perhaps?

i can get that one for you, its the CSX NA dispatcher, who also controls the B&A from just west of Cove interlocking

the Framingham Secondary that you are referring to, trains need a EC-1 to move on the line (NORAC's Form D)
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)