Old Harvard station

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Old Harvard station

Postby joshg1 » Thu May 16, 2013 6:51 pm

The '45 drawing is prettier than the black lines in '47. As far as foresight goes, what's that different in Boston and Cambridge in the last ~70 years? They're both centers of employment, albeit in different fields. Retailing moved west into Back Bay, which was already fed by the Green Line tunnels. Even the interstates followed existing routes, both road and rail. The airport and S. Boston waterfront developments are new. As is suburban sprawl, but these reports and studies are for the inside of 128.

But those swirling lines…. so mesmerizing… A b o r w a y g o o d
joshg1

Postby Disney Guy » Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 am

joshg1 wrote:When the follow up report came out in '47, that river side land was taken for roads and the subway was to turn north towards Porter. I never heard of a Mt Auburn St subway. My reading is that any extension beyond Harvard was going to be built as built, advantages and flaws as is.

For historical interest, in the '47 plan we could have changed at W. Cambridge for Lexington cars or a line that followed the Fitchburg to the Mass Central and peters out in Waltham just shy of future 128.

A subway along the Charles from Harvard (Eliot Yard) to east Watertown would make for a nice express run to the latter location, and less expensive construction if done before Memorial Drive was built along that route. But going through more populous areas including Porter Square was always a good choice.

The "Riverbank Subway" as a Green Line extension way back before Storrow Drive was built on the proposed route also had a limited population base (the river being on one side) to draw ridership from.
joshg1 wrote:I'm sorry for the lousy scan- a grad student was hogging the large copier and the lighting in the bowels of the Loeb library is awful.

Reminds me of the times I needed to make one or two copies and found the only copy machine chugging away unattended with a multi hundred page job.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Gerry6309 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:52 pm

What I was referring to was the alternatives proposed ca. 1974 when the MBTA was trying to sell the extension to Cambridge. The deep tunnel was preferred by many but the cut & cover tight curve won out on cost. I recall about four alternatives being offered at that time.
Gerry. STM/BSRA

The next stop is Washington. Change for Forest Hills Trains on the Winter St. Platform, and Everett Trains on the Summer St. Platform. This is an Ashmont train, change for Braintree at Columbia.
Gerry6309

Postby Charliemta » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:10 pm

There were some alternatives. I went to a public meeting in North Cambridge at the ME Fitzgerald School in the early 70's where they were presented. One alternative I recall was to keep the old Harvard Station intact, and extend the Red Line along Mt. Auburn Street for a couple of blocks, them swing to the northwest in a deep bore tunnel under Radcliffe College and Cambridge Common, then rejoining Mass Ave at the north end of the Cambridge Common. The curves would have been pretty broad, with much larger radii than the sharp one at the Harvard Station of today. Radcliffe probably stopped that alternative.
Long live the "El"
Charliemta

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)