No Bags or Parcels

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

No Bags or Parcels

Postby FatNoah » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:22 am

The Globe is reporting that the MBTA is asking riders of commuter trains and subways/streetcars to not bring briefcases or backpacks on board.
FatNoah

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:35 am

that is pushing it, people are not going to carry their laptops in their hands when they walk onto a train
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby efin98 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:12 am

I'll believe it when I see it. No transit agency that I know of has banned backpacks and briefcases on trains, let alone one like the T that needs the business of people who require backpacks and briefcases for their everyday lives.

Now if the Globe got it wrong and the T wants to ban them from being on seats, that's a whole different story!
efin98

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:19 am

All I have to say about that is that I gotta work that week (we were told months ago that even if we had already put in for vacation that week, it was going to be cancelled). I have to bring work stuff with me. That means I'll probably have no choice but to carry it in a shoulder bag, like I do every day.

Now if they want to shuffle through a bunch of paperwork and put my bottle of Coca-Cola under a magnifying glass, that's fine, but it'll just be a waste of time for them, and me. Hope it doesn't make me too late for work. :(
jwhite07

Postby Xplorer2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:01 pm

Duplicate message deleted....sorry :(
Last edited by Xplorer2000 on Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xplorer2000

Postby Xplorer2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:24 pm

Oh, its MUCH better than that guys...... I just finished reading the article. You Do have the right to refuse the search ,BUT, if you do, the T Police will then refuse to let continue your journey on the Subway / Commuter Rail , first warning you , and then if you persist and don't leave immediately, arresting you for trespassing.(I couldn't make S**t like this up....read the article...The truth is bad enough...)
Oh, and there will be no public hearings , no appeals, the Powers That Be have decreed and that is all, you vill OBEY!!!! Even the T Ridership Oversight Committee has spoken out against this as being excessive, and possibly invasive. Personally, I think someone in "T" Management has been watching way too many Major Hochstetter episodes of "Hogans Heroes". Even the Globe, in an editorial a couple of weeks back when they first announced the " Stop and Search" policy, likened it to the days of Nazi Germany, and the Globe is usually supportive of the "T"policies. But no one is even coming close to suggesting anything like this in New York for their convention.... Oh wait , I forgot, that's the Republican Convention. We mustn't inconvenience the Party Faithful, now........El Presidente may get upset .
Xplorer2000

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:26 pm

WOW, that is crazy!!! i can't believe the T is doing all of this. they are becoming parinoded
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby BC Eagle » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:28 pm

I haven't read the article yet, but I wonder how much of this is the T's idea, and how much is being imposed by the Secret Service. I believe they're the ones who ordered the massive road closings.

At first I didn't care much about the bag policy. I normally bring my lunch and other trinkets to work in a shoulder bag, but I figured that week I'd just put my lunch in a plastic shopping bag to make it easier for them to look through. However, I've since learned that because my office is way too close to the Fleet Center, they'll be relocating us to a different office in Cambridge. Now, I'll have to drag my laptop around everyday that week and will probably be very inconvenienced by this.

The way I look at it, this policy should only be for the Orange Line. Closing North Station won't do them any good if a terrorist simply sets a bomb off as the orange line is going under the Fleet Center. So extra security precautions would make sense along that route. I think its excessive for the rest of the system though.
BC Eagle

Postby CSX Conductor » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:45 pm

as far as while on commuter rail property, does this mean that train & Engine service are not to carry their bags (bulletins, timtables etc.) LOL

this whole idea of no bags is just another very stupid idea........too much dam paranoia!!!!!!!
CSX Conductor

Postby CJ » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:21 pm

This is definatley wayyyy too far.. The sad thing (which i really hate) is that these things were ALWAYS a concern (for decades) but only now due to recent events everyone decides to "be alert"

No matter what you do, somethings always gonna happen (there are always other ways)

Yeah, i do get uneasy when i see someone get on the train with a suitcase that could EASIALLY fit 2 kids in it,but it brings a peace in a way, as i know, if something happens, im screwed!

And they cant search everyone, all the time , things fall through the cracks, and regardless (searches or not) things are gonna happen!

(kinda sounds like i know something, but no, just people always find a way! supermax prisons are the most secure, but people still kill and rape eachother, nothings impossible!)
CJ

Postby SbooX » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:24 pm

How exactly can one tresspass on property which they have the legal right to be on? A T pass (or paying ones fare) is all the legal entitlement one needs to use the T. If you have the legal right to be there, its not tresspassing.

This can't possibly be legal. If it is, I'm moving to Canada.
SbooX

Postby BC Eagle » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:40 pm

You still have to abide by the rules of the controlling agency. One can pay their fare, and then get asked to leave for disrupting a train, or smoking a cigarette. Once told to leave MBTA property for any violation, refusal constitutes trespassing.
BC Eagle

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:36 am

this whole idea of no bags is just another very stupid idea........too much dam paranoia!!!!!!!

Well, for a good reason, Not only 11SEP01, but Madrid 3-1-1. That latter reason is why the MBTA PD and MBTA Management wanted to conduct the bag and package sweep, since they are afraid that the same thing could happen here. That's what I saw on CBS 4 news.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Passenger Rights!--and Responsibilities

Postby SnoozerZ49 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 7:52 pm

To paraphrase a recent article in one of Boston's local papers, Boston really is a city of whiners! We think and act small time. There is no doubt in my mind about that any more.

I work as a Conductor on the Commuter Rail and I have to tell you the old B&M Conductors would roll over in their graves if they could see how passengers act on trains these days.

I must disagree with the author of the previous post that believes a Pass or ticket provides access without limitations. Far to many passengers these days believe it is their right to harass, harangue and otherwise treat railroad emplyees like servants. What they fail to realize is that with every right comes a corresponding responsibility. That responsibility entails acting like a gentleman or a lady, complying with the instructions of the train crew and acting in a civilized manner. A pass does not entitle every passenger to harass a crew member during a safety or security stop demanding a full explanation or complaining ad nauseum.

In todays situation everyone must revisit their expectations and consider whether they are contributing to the problem or the solution.
SnoozerZ49

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:16 pm

I certainly agree that passengers should treat the train crew with respect. However the MBTA also needs to treat passengers with respect, and that includes respecting their privacy and the Fourth Amendment.
Ron Newman

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)