Where can I find information on the Green Line relocation?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Where can I find information on the Green Line relocation?

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:18 pm

Where can I find information on the Green Line relocation? I'm doing a small write up and I cant find details at MBTA's web site or BigDig.com... maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? Sorry if these questions sound dum.

Also, I found this information on the web- they talk about Lechmere terminal being relocated for a possible extension of the Green Line (and some other stuff I'm not sure about:

Plans also call for relocation of the Green Line immediately north of downtown from elevated structure to a continuation in subway under the Boston Garden and North Station, rising to join the Lechmere Viaduct near the Charles River bridge. The present Lechmere terminal will be moved across the street ready for an extension along the adjacent rail right-of-way to Somerville.

Wishful thinking?

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby octr202 » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:35 pm

This is the extent of the MBTA's information online about the Superstation:

http://www.mbta.com/projects_underway/northstation.asp

Moving Lechmere across (to the east side of O'Brien Highway) is supposed to happen as part of the redevelopment of the old B&M yards in the North Point area. The developer will supposedly provide the land and a portion of the funding for the new station. As you know from visiting it, the current Lechmere station is old, non-ADA compliant, and very cramped. Also, its location does not allow for the extension of the Green Line into Somerville and Medford, another project under consideration.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:54 pm

Lechmere won't be moved during the upcoming 12-month shutdown -- that's a separate project.

Planning for the Superstation goes back all the way to the early 1990s, when the FleetCenter was built to replace the old Boston Garden sports arena. A space was reserved in the FleetCenter garage to carry Green Line tracks.
Ron Newman

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:11 pm

"Old and non-ADA compliant" are the best parts of Lechmere!!

Guess I'll have to come back in 2005 for another ride!

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby CS » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:44 pm

(drifting off topic a bit) I love certain old stations. Lechmere is a good example, it has barely been touched - Boylston also which probably only has gotten new doors and fences since it was built in 1897. If the MBTA maintained those stations, then they would be gems but - it's the MBTA.

As for the question at hand, I found that putting a search through google, you get alot of great things. Try it and see.
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:22 pm

The best info on the relocation is in the State Transportation Library. I found the original Draft Reports with all ideas for where to move the Green Line spelled out. Good read. As to where it is I cant tell you because there isnt much order in there.
vanshnookenraggen

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)