Commuter rail and rapid transit physical connections?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Commuter rail and rapid transit physical connections?

Postby Otto Vondrak » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:37 am

Occasionally I see vague references to commuter rail connections with the rapid transit lines. Sometimes I read snippets about "emergency" situations where commuter rail will temporarily run over or run to a rapid transit line. I thought I read about an "emergency" commuter rail train that ran to Oak Grove on the Orange Line, and another "emergency" commuter rail train that ran to Riverside on the Green Line?

Please help ease my cluttered mind.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:59 am

There are tracks branching off the Framingham commuter line that reach Riverside station, and these were briefly used to provide special Riverside-South Station express trains after a flood closed Kenmore station and a good bit of the Green Line.

Oak Grove just has a commuter rail platform which is not usually in service, but can be used when needed. Normally, commuter trains pass through Oak Grove without stopping.
Ron Newman

Re: Commuter rail and rapid transit physical connections?

Postby geoff2 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:11 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:Occasionally I see vague references to commuter rail connections with the rapid transit lines. Sometimes I read snippets about "emergency" situations where commuter rail will temporarily run over or run to a rapid transit line. I thought I read about an "emergency" commuter rail train that ran to Oak Grove on the Orange Line, and another "emergency" commuter rail train that ran to Riverside on the Green Line?

Please help ease my cluttered mind.

-otto-

See http://members.aol.com/netransit8/flood/flood.html
geoff2

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:04 pm

As Ronn Mentioned, many stations such as Oak Grove have commuter rail and rapid transit platforms seperate from each other but at same stations.

Just as information, the connection from the CSX Main line to the Riverside shopas has a section of about 30 to 50 feet removed by the CSX Main. :(
CSX Conductor

Postby paulrail » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:20 am

A picture at Riverside during the flood,

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20001 ... A56%3AMBTA

Paul
paulrail

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:20 am

Hrm... so no commuter rail trains will be running to Newton Highlands anytime soon, eh? That photo from 1996 must have freaked out the FRA... oh no! a heavy rail and a light rail train on the same tracks! Separated by mere FEET! Oh, the HORRORS! ;-)

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Orange (Wellington area), Blue (Orient Heights?), and Red (JFK/UMass area or on the Cabot Yard approach) all used to have temporary connections to CR lines for delivery of new trains. I think all are currently severed per FRA regulations, but they could be reconnected quickly if needed. Orange on the SW corridor also has provisions in place for connections to the CR...it's apparent in a couple spots on the ROW that look clearly configured for installation of a crossover.

Riverside is the only one I think that has a real, contiguous track connection to a CR line still in place...but the spur to the Framingham Line is blocked off with a fence to keep the FRA happy.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby CJ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:49 am

Actually, from what ive gathered from everyone else here (back when I asked the same question) the Blue line connection was made near Airport Station (where the old short storage track was). From what I gather (correct me if im wrong) the CR connects in Revere to some old trackage that runs along the chelsea creek, all the way down near neptune street (underneath), and the connection was basically complete (except for a few hundred feet).
CJ

Postby boatsmate » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:31 am

In refference, to the riverside trackage, there is also another spur that is maintained , but does not actually connect to the riverside line, it actually dead ends on the opposite side of the loading plateform (at least it used to ) for the out bound and inbound green line trains. this is connected to the main as yuo can see it form the pike.

That was a great picture of the CR train in Riverside yrd
boatsmate

Postby StevieC48 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:42 pm

NO unfourtnately the Blue Line connection to the CR was via Chelsea and East Boston not Revere. Also the Red Line cars were all trucked in not shipped on their own trucks via RR and there is NO connection of the Red Line and the CR except the former ROW where the Baker Choclate Co was. There was a connection to the Mattapan High Speed Line. The High Speed Line connects iut side Codman Yard at Ashmont. This is where the SOAC cars came in for the trial on the Red Line. And the Orange Line is still connected outside of Wellington notth of the tower. There is a track on top of the track. Take a look.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby MBTA3247 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:29 pm

Stevie - do you know where exactly the connection between the Mattapan trolley line and the former New Haven freight spur was? I've never heard of it before, nor have I ever seen a map that shows it.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby StevieC48 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:23 pm

It was a freight spur known as the Neponset Line off of the Old Colony.The area of Milton Station was where they cut in a switch.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby theseaandalifesaver » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:26 pm

any pictures of the blue line spur? i've walked the track you're talking about starting on route 16 in revere. it's pretty grown over and ends right before east boston.
theseaandalifesaver

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:53 pm

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17320
Hmmm... May I suggest the Search Button, Mr. Vondrak?
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby Stephen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:56 pm

Outside of Boston, I think there are two place that have lightrail and heavy rail (freight not commuter) using the same trackage. In both cases, the freight traffic is limited to late night hours were the LRVs don't run.
The NJT river line in southern NJ and two locations on the VTA in the Santa Clara Valley in Northern CA.

These aren't commuter rail situations, but they are dual uses for the trackage. That said, my memory could be fooling me at this point.

- Stephen
Stephen

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)