Any online photos of Neoplan TT’s?

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jwhite07 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:47 pm

I've got one lousy grab shot of 4101 I took when it was testing back in February. Of course, just as I took the photo, a big red SUV drove by and I ended up getting a shot of it with 4101 barely visible behind it. :(
jwhite07

Postby crash575 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:22 pm

I have a few shots of 4116 and the Watertown car house, although they aren't online.
-Mike
crash575

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Wed Jun 09, 2004 9:39 pm

I work in Harvard Sq and I see them now and then. Next time I work Ill go around and hunt a few down.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:46 pm

How about this one? Not great, but a little better than my first attempt...

jwhite07

Postby AEM7AC920 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:06 pm

Is that running route 72? I tired twice to catch one but they only drove by out of service :(
AMTRAK HAWK DETECTOR TRACK 1 NOOO DEFECTS OUT!
AEM7AC920

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:07 pm

I have to say that I like the new TT's ALOT better than the new CNG's I am not 100% sure why but the new TT's are quiet and look cooler than the CNG's. Also, there is a sign just put up at the entrance to the Harvard Bus tunnel that reads "No CNG Busses". Makes sense but I guess that means that Arlington residents will never see the new CNG's.

Also, what is the fare system for the TT's? I know is it a bit odd.

Edit: I can't spell to save my life.[/b]
Last edited by vanshnookenraggen on Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby Reddy Rocker » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:41 pm

The fare system for the TT's is when you go outbound, you pay as you get off. But going inbound, you pay as you get on like a normal bus. At least it's that way on the 71 and 73, I don't know about the 72. Inbound/outbound being relative to Harvard in this case.
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby Zaphod » Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:41 pm

I'm not too familiar with TT's - what is the shroud around the top? Is it to protect the equipment? The last time I saw any trolley buses in action was in Toronto in the 80's.
Zaphod

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:49 am

loks like the sign says #72....but all I can tell is that this shot is while the bus was heading east on Mass Ave past the Harvard Law School....shot taken from the Hardvard Yard, correct Jonathon?
CSX Conductor

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:37 am

Yup, it's just about to turn in to enter the west portal of the tunnel. By the way, that's 4117.

The sign says 73 WAVERLY SQ. I think the actual spelling should be "Waverley", but close enough!

I suspect most of the stuff up top is propulsion equipment... normally it would be under the floor, but since these are low-floor coaches, it's gotta go up top. Air conditioning equipment is probably up there too. Batteries for emergency off-wire capability... I'm guessing they're located in the rear of the body.
jwhite07

Postby fm535 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:18 pm

vanshnookenraggen wrote:I have to say that I like the new TT's ALOT better than the new CNG's I am not 100% sure why but the new TT's are quiet and look cooler than the CNG's. Also, there is a sign just put up at the entrance to the Harvard Bus tunnel that reads "No CNG Busses". Makes sense but I guess that means that Arlington residents will never see the new CNG's.

Arlington is served by more buse routes than what goes thru the Harvard tunnel. What about the buses that leave Alewife? I would imagine they are going to be replaced with the CNG buses eventually.
fm535

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Fri Jun 11, 2004 12:55 pm

Yes but the 77 is the busiest and most frequent. It is a bit of a shame that residents didn't want TT's back in the 50's.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby octr202 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:30 pm

It is a shame. The 77 would be the best candidate for electricfication, since a good chunk of the route is already wired. Maybe the 69, 74, 78 too -- but those don't run nearly as often -- at least not in their current form -- better buses might make them more attractive -- but I'm dreaming here.

Actually, I bet that routes like the 79 and the 80's will still be largely diesel. Isn't Charlestown slated to remain a largely diesel garage, split between the new diesels on order and the rebuilt 0-series RTS's?
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:43 am

My "pie in the sky" idea would be to extend the wire to Arlington Heights and operate seven day a week, full-time TT service on the 71, 72, 73, and 77. I'd also electrify the 1 and the Washington Street service, and redesignate all trackless lines as the Silver Line. Wouldn't have to consider it "bus rapid transit" (it isn't anyway), but as it is more of a fixed transit service than regular buses are, the TT lines should be on the map.

Then you'd have a contiguous twin-wire network stretching all the way from Arlington Heights to South Boston (assuming SL phase III is ever built). You'd need a lot more equipment - let's say carhouses at North Cambridge and Watertown for straight electric TTs and Southampton Street for dual modes. 1 and 77 operate out of North Cambridge, 71, 72, 73 out of Watertown, and everything east of Dudley out of Southampton.

It's nice to dream... :P
jwhite07

TT's to Arlington

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:16 am

There was talk in the early 1980's about extending the trackless wire from North Cambridge to Arlington Heights in conjunction with the opening of the Alewife extension. I'm not sure how serious this was studied, though - I suspect the MBTA was hoping to downgrade the 77 from Arlington in favor of the shorter 79 to Alewife. I've heard that the Authority was surprised how many riders continued to opt for the 77 instead of the 79.

In any event, as a former Arlington resident, I can safely say that the NIMBY's there will never allow those unsightly trackless wires in their town now. Arlington has been gradually transformed over the past two decades from a Wonder Bread white-collar suburb to a trendy Starbucks town complete with coffeehouses and restaurants.

And in response to an earlier question, the MBTA currently has 10 or so New Flyer CNG buses assigned to Charlestown garage, so there is the possibility of seeing a CNG bus in Arlington on a route other than the 77 or 78. Otherwise, though, you'll be seeing the rehabbed 0000's or maybe the new Neoplan diesels in the forseeable future.

JD
RailBus63

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)