New Photo Pass Policy

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

New Photo Pass Policy

Postby nightowl » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:03 pm

I didn't hear anything about this, but I just came back from a two week trip. I went to get a new photo pass today, so I go up to #6720 in the State Transportation Building and after finding someone I am informed of the new policy which went into effect last Thursday.

Now you need to bring them a written request, stating what purposes your using the pass for, what duration you need it and two forms of photo id. Then it will take 5-10 days to process for security checks.

Fun.

I was also told that they are working on a form, but since it is a new policy a written letter will work for now. As much as I hate the play by their new ridiculous rules, with North Station closing soon and video taking being a suspicious activity, I'm planning on going back tomorrow letter in hand.
nightowl

Postby savebowdoin » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:42 pm

I got one last week on the 27th and it was business as usual (they just photocopied my license and gave me the pass). At least I won't have to do this new thing till my new pass expires in August.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby octr202 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:49 pm

Sounds a lot like the NJT policy which has even been generating newspaper articles down there. Its also generated nearly 6 pages of chatter on the NJT board.

Sadly, the days of being able to railfan and photograph subways and commuter trains from stations is probably over.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jrc520 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:03 pm

blech. just wonderful. Well, I guess I'll have to do all that crap then. my pass just expired. As for security checks, I know I have nothing, but still, what a load of bull. Imagine the poor tourist that tries to take a photo. Guess it's time for Guerilla Railfanning on the T. Who's with me :-p
jrc520

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:39 pm

Hear hear! Ive been taking pictures for a while now on the T with no pass and if I have to go through that to take a few snaps then i'll just break the "law".
vanshnookenraggen

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:50 pm

i don't have a photo pass yet, and don't plan on needing one. I am never in boston taken pics of the subway or anything
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby ST214 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:04 pm

I am never bothered. I know a lot of the CR crews, and when in the subway, i wear a T hat.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:19 pm

same here, when i am at a CR station, i always see the #811 train, and the crew knows me, so i am ok there, but in Boston, in the subway, i might have some trouble due to the security procedures, etc.
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby jwhite07 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:16 am

when in the subway, i wear a T hat

I wore a hat with a T logo on it on the subway once many years ago (mid-80s), and got yelled at for it by an Inspector. It's not wise to give the appearance of impersonating an MBTA employee if you aren't one. Even if you have no intent of using it to evade fares or access restricted areas, that's the first thing they'll assume you're up to if they question you and you fail to come up with an employee ID.

Back then I got b*tched out and told to take the hat off, and that was the end of it. Nowadays you'd probably get arrested, Ashcrofted, and banned from the system.
jwhite07

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:23 am

That sounds nothing like NJT's process.

the woman I spoke with was pleasant and willing to help .....quick response to e-mails and phone calls etc......but they want the exact time, date, and location........apparently it's a new permit each time as opposed to a weekly or monthly etc.

F40, just because you aren't in Boston, doesn't mean that you don't need the permit. The MBCR put out a new General Bulletin this week stating that any person seen on a train, platform, bridge etc... taking still photos or video, or any other 'suspicious' activity is to be reported to the appropriate dispatcher immediately, in which time the dispatcher will notify MBTA police. The platform where you are is still an Amtrak line, but the same will apply there......if not already, it will soon, unfortunately.
CSX Conductor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:04 am

As for me, I wanted to go shoot video out the front of the Green Line to Lechmere via the old North Station Flyover during the last few days. So I guess I'll have to "hurry up", and get the proper requirements, and get the photo pass, unless I go the other way.

As for ST214, you know what, I may even wear blue pants, and a blue dress shirt, with a similar hat :-D just to "make everyone think I drive the Red Line" even though it's aint recommended.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby ST214 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:29 pm

Hey Robert, you didn't happen to pick that hat up at the West Springfield show, did you????

Also, i never had said anything about impersonating T employees, or anything else like that. I just wore the hat, a t-shirt, and jeans. Noone yelled at me at all, actually, they were impressed that i would even wear a hat for a transit system.
Hoping for a rebirth of the Screamer fleet.
ST214

Postby parovozis » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:39 pm

I guess I am confused. Ok, let's assume I'm an out-of-towner. I came to Boston as a tourist. I want to take some pictures of the T. How the hell do I know it's forbidden? There is no notice at the MBTA Web site. There is no notice at the MBTA police Web site. There are no posters on the platforms. There are no posters on the bridges, tracks, locomotives, nowhere. Any ideas?
parovozis

Postby jrc520 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:49 pm

easy. do it my way. once, with my big arse olympus camera. they assume that I'm a tourist, and just tell me that I need a permit. Thank them greatly, and move on. It takes a while, but hey, I've still got at least 3 years of college left in me, so I have all the time I want. That, my friends, is guerrilla railfanning :-D

btw, who the h3ll do I contact to find out about the new pass program? the T website has nothing, which, in my mind, means they can't enforce the new policy.

Of course, they never ask me. that would be to smart :-p
jrc520

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:05 pm

o yea i know that CSX, its just that i always see the #811 train, and i have talked to the engineer and she doesn't mind, she knows i am a buff

i have never been radioed in to the Dispathcer, and i hope it never happens
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)