Interesting Consists(North and South Side) RETIRED

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Interesting Consists(North and South Side) RETIRED

Postby Diverging Route » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:18 pm

This evening (Friday, 10/27) I was on the 4:40 to Needham Heights (#621). This is typically a very light train, and usually has three bi-levels and three singles. Tonight, it was a solid set of eight bi-levels. One passenger per seat, with many empties!

I looked out the left-side window, and saw the 4:40 Stoughton (#917). It was a six-car set, comprised of five 600-series singles, and bi-level cab car #1705. Presumably the assigned 1500-series cab car had a problem, and the K-car was substituted at the last minute -- very strange looking! But this meant it had no bathroom -- and that's a rarity.
Enjoy Life!
Take the Diverging Route
Diverging Route

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:54 pm

Wow, that must have been something, maybe they should have used the 8 car solid KAW consist for train 715 (4:10 to Franklin Forge Park), since that train gets packed a lot. Usually and it has on the times Ive rode it, it's a 6- car solid single level. This trip should have at least 7 or 8 cars.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CRail » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:46 pm

i would not want to be the conductor on an 8 car set of any train, and solid kawaki's makes it almost twice as bad. I keep sayin the north side guys have it easy with all the flat sets.

I'd like to have seen that flat with the 1700 on the rear. its like a caboose on the back of the train :-)
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby bierhere » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:40 pm

The 6:05PM Worcester tonight was 6 flat cars instead of the usual mix of bi-levels. Is something going on with car shortages again?

It always fun to ride a train short of 300+ seats. By the time we left South Station, the train was already full. By the time we left Back Bay, there were 40+ people standing in my car ( on an express ) to West Natick.
bierhere

Postby Diverging Route » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:01 pm

bierhere wrote:The 6:05PM Worcester tonight was 6 flat cars instead of the usual mix of bi-levels. Is something going on with car shortages again?

It always fun to ride a train short of 300+ seats. By the time we left South Station, the train was already full. By the time we left Back Bay, there were 40+ people standing in my car ( on an express ) to West Natick.

Yup! On the north side too. Here's this evening's MBTA Update:
Lowell Line Delays:

Service is moving with 10 to 15 minute delays due to an equipment shortage.

Rockport/Newburyport Line Delays:

Service is moving with 15 to 20 minute delays due to an equipment shortage.
Enjoy Life!
Take the Diverging Route
Diverging Route

Postby Robert Paniagua » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:50 am

CRail wrote:I'd like to have seen that flat with the 1700 on the rear. its like a caboose on the back of the train :-)

Yeah, that's just about right, from a distance, the last car being a Double Decker would make it look like a caboose. I've seen those in the Old Colony Lines and in Attleboro.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Diverging Route » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:37 am

Train #600, the 6:10am inbound from Needham Heights, is usually five or six flats. Even so, one can normally have an entire seat alone -- either on the two or three side.

This morning, it was a solid set of seven bilevels! I boarded in Roslindale, and was one of only a dozen people on the upper level of the lead car.

I guess a big set is better than no set :-D

I'll bet some other run suffered... maybe the trip that usually has this set got the small set and had to stuff commuters into the overhead racks :(
Enjoy Life!
Take the Diverging Route
Diverging Route

Postby ironcladlou » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:37 am

I wouldn't call trains with no bathrooms a rarity. It happened all too frequently when I was riding the Worcester line.
ironcladlou

Postby acela 2036 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:10 am

CRail wrote:i would not want to be the conductor on an 8 car set of any train, and solid kawaki's makes it almost twice as bad. I keep sayin the north side guys have it easy with all the flat sets.

I'd like to have seen that flat with the 1700 on the rear. its like a caboose on the back of the train :-)

I wonder if that train with 8 kcars still only 3 conductors. Usually when theres 8 of them, they would 4
acela 2036

Postby ridintherails » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:36 pm

Within the past few weeks I'v had the same funny consist consisting of 6 flats with a K right behind the locomotive. From a distance it looked as if the locomotive was overgrown :P

That 6 car flat consist with the K "caboose control car" looks funny. One of the mid cars has a braking issue which caused a few problems down the road. I guess they were stuck in release and wouldn't apply brakes at all.
The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.
ridintherails

Postby railfan101 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:46 pm

ironcladlou wrote:I wouldn't call trains with no bathrooms a rarity. It happened all too frequently when I was riding the Worcester line.

I just don't seem to understand how this happens. I have seen more consists on the south side with multiple german and or 900 series K cars. Who is reponsible for how these consists are assembled. There must be a valid reason why some of these consists are the way they are.
railfan101

Postby Guilford Guy » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Readvillle messed up...
Only 4 K cars and no singles on a rush hour Provii Train...
Guilford Guy

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:50 pm

Unfortunately, what I think happens is that they'll have a number of cars of the same type ready at the same time, and those will all be put into the first consists that come along and need to swap out cars for maintenance. It then becomes too much trouble to get the various badly-arranged trainsets together so the cars can be swapped to make proper trainsets.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby railfan101 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:47 pm

This seems to be the norm on the south side. The north side seems to have much more consistensy when it comes to train sets.
railfan101

Postby concordgirl » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:31 pm

Diverging Route wrote:maybe the trip that usually has this set got the small set and had to stuff commuters into the overhead racks :(

Nice :-) lol
Rockport and Newburyport
nightmare b4 xmas inked on my arm
** Bring back 3247! **
concordgirl

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)