Airport Station Opening

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby CJ » Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:36 am

jwhite07 wrote:Looks like the platform's already long enough for six-car trains, so probably they won't touch it until it's ready to fall down on itself. Aside from being slightly shabby looking, it seems to still be in pretty good condition overall. And I do love the Art Deco lettering on the facade.

The station is practicaly falling apart, and it can only fit about 5.5 cars

If they lined the doors up right, 6 cars would fit, but the train would definately overhang the station!

I was at beachmont the other day, and from where i was standing it seemed like it was ONLY big enough for 4 cars (unless i was missing something!)

Yep, i remember the old wood island, with the "underground" bus terminal (it was covered, but strange....)
CJ

Postby Zaphod » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:32 pm

apodino wrote:3. There were passengers on the blue line complaining saying that the T wasted a whole bunch of money on the station when one already existed. Does he even have any idea how bad the old station was?

I can't speak from a railfan's perspective, but when I went through it for the first time when I flew out of Logan in October 99 I thought the place was a dump.
Zaphod

Postby efin98 » Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:56 pm

apodino wrote:I got to see the station today. Here are my comments about it.

1. A lot of passengers on the Massport Shuttle Buses missed the station, not realizing that the T had opened the new station. Hopefully that won't last long.

That's Massport's problem, can't blame the T for something Massport is responsible for. :wink:

3. There were passengers on the blue line complaining saying that the T wasted a whole bunch of money on the station when one already existed. Does he even have any idea how bad the old station was?

It was getting pretty bad due to the lack of maintnence, but it's not as bad as Maverick or Orient Heights. I am not sure if the station was meant to be the region's airport station when it was first built but from the impression of the staiton, I don't think the planners intended on the baggage or increase in passenger load.

4. A very interesting thing I saw on the blue line map in the station. The sign had wheelchair indications on some stations that were labeled over, which could indicate that they are going to be accessible in the future. One of the stations was Bowdoin.

I think it's wishful thinking on the T's part, but the other stations are on the money for wheelchairs. They are supposed to get their 50 year renovation in a year or two, after the Red Line is done and the new cars arrive.

5. There is an arrival departure monitor in the unpaid lobby, which doesn't indicate all airlines. Massport needs to work on this, although some airlines, noteably America West, use a board and not the monitors..

At least there is some indication, even if a few are left out. Some is better than none. :wink:

6. The massport bus ride to the terminals is longer than it was from the old station.

Still better than New York City's JFK to Howard Beach bus ride, now supplanted by the infamous "Airtrain"[/quote]
efin98

Postby apodino » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:01 am

apodino wrote:
I got to see the station today. Here are my comments about it.

1. A lot of passengers on the Massport Shuttle Buses missed the station, not realizing that the T had opened the new station. Hopefully that won't last long.

That's Massport's problem, can't blame the T for something Massport is responsible for.

Ed, it wasn't massports fault at all. The buses were announcing the station as the Airport Subway Station. The passengers didn't trust the announcements which were totally truthful.
Rich "Dino" Martin
A one time happy rider of Arborway and the old Washington St. El.
apodino

Postby efin98 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:03 pm

apodino wrote:Ed, it wasn't massports fault at all. The buses were announcing the station as the Airport Subway Station. The passengers didn't trust the announcements which were totally truthful.

Then they need to either learn the route by sight or learn to listen better, can't fault the MBTA or Massport for the passengers' foul ups.
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:06 pm

Straying a little bit, does anyone know what the MBTA will do with all the old signs and maps from the old airport station?

It would be wicked cool to be able to get ahold of one somehow that didn't involve sneaking into the station at night with a hammer and chisel.
trigonalmayhem

Postby efin98 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:20 pm

Best bet would be to contact the T's PR department, as long as you are willing to pay for what you take and pay for removal and transportation from the demolition site I don't see why they won't let you do that. I would love to have an old sign from Maverick or Orient Heights, would love one of Orient Heights' system maps too if I had the money for it :(
efin98

Postby trigonalmayhem » Sat Jun 05, 2004 6:45 pm

Yeah, I suppose I'm a bit worried about how much they might actually want for it, though.

I'm still on a sudent's budget, so chances are I might not be able to come up with what they would ask.
trigonalmayhem

Postby savebowdoin » Sat Jun 05, 2004 8:32 pm

I've already contacted Lisa Bono, the blue line chief, regarding the signs, but have yet to get a response. I plan on calling her office on Monday.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sat Jun 05, 2004 9:06 pm

that would be nice to have on your wall, but if they want a lot, u may have to resort to the hammer and chisel, hahaha :D :D
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:51 pm

Apodino, as far as airline status signs, I agree with Ed, some are better then none................. the MBTA station is their property, they put those there as a courtesy

As far as the old station signs, some may be stored for future use....... (i.e. replace ones that get graffitied etc)

or use the sytem maps in other stations...................as far as the pictures, those could probably get high bids on E-Bay LOL :)
CSX Conductor

Postby CJ » Thu Jun 10, 2004 10:07 am

Well, went through there yesterday (like every day) and some workers were removing all the sinage, and loading them up on these carts.. some they took down w/ care, others they just ripped right off! I guess we will see!
CJ

Postby trigonalmayhem » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:26 pm

It seems to me like everytime they open new stations they love to put the new maps with the silverline included in them, so wouldn't the 'old' ones be kind of useless?

Or would they just figure that if it's a station they haven't bothered to rehab yet it's not worth wasting a new sign on?
trigonalmayhem

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:23 pm

The Massport shuttle buses take a really long, roundabout route to get from the new T station to the terminals. Anyone know if this will improve once construction is finished?
Ron Newman

Postby The Collector at Court St » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:23 pm

Yes it will. The trip from airlines to subway is pretty much as it will be. The trip from subway to airlines will change when the new inbound (to the airport) roads are finished. It will be similar to the old route except at ground level rather than elevated.

The new roads require the removal of the old station as they are in the same footprint. Look for a completion in 1 to 2 years.
The Collector at Court St

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)