Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jck » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:45 pm

What does this agreement actually mean? For example, what is to prevent one of the parties from changing their mind and filing a lawsuit tomorrow?

This sounds like an "agreement in principle" rather than anything binding.

And, like I've said, I swear I've heard this before.
jck

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:05 pm

There have been many proposals before, but never an agreement among all these parties until today.

I believe this agreement includes having Federal Realty and IKEA swap land parcels.
Ron Newman

Upcoming Orange Line Shuttle

Postby CRail » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:15 pm

I've gotten word that the orange line will be on diversion for the next 3 years. It's unknown when the service will be suspended but it has been determined that normal operation will not be restored until after 38 months.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Re: Upcoming Orange Line Shuttle

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:24 pm

From what I'm hearing Mullan says it's to replace the bridge over the Mystic River, which means the trains cannot get from Wellington... I don't understand why the whole thing would have to be taken out, couldn't they sort of cut out half of the bridge, put up a two track bridge, remove the rest, and replace it with another separate two track bridge? That way if anything ever happens to one of them, this doesn't have to happen? Would removing half of the bridge compromise it too much or something?
BostonUrbEx

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:12 am

Could you at least have waited til it was past Midnight for your attempted April Fools Day joke?!?!?
CSX Conductor

Postby sery2831 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:37 am

And this is a joke how?
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:02 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:Could you at least have waited til it was past Midnight for your attempted April Fools Day joke?!?!?

You might want to check the DST setting for your account. ;)
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CRail » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:35 am

CSX: It's not an April fools joke :wink:
UrbEx: Close but no cigar!

It's actually for the construction of the Assembly Square Station. Service will terminate at Sullivan Square. Whether this will be full time for the entire 38 months or if shuttling will be phased in during nights and weekends for a period before the full time shut down begins has not been made clear yet, to my knowledge.
CRail

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:02 am

Wait- for real?! I thought this was just another April Fools. :( Will CR be servicing Oak Grove? I sure hope...

And has anyone heard anything at all as to what would happen with the third track? I have a feeling it will be eliminated...
BostonUrbEx

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:06 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
And has anyone heard anything at all as to what would happen with the third track? I have a feeling it will be eliminated...

Not sure, I looked through the planning junket and there one site map that shows it in place and many station renderings that don't have it. My guess is that they keep it and its just not accessible at that stop. Just a guess.

oh and here is the link.
http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=17683
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Stmtrolleyguy » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:16 pm

CRail wrote:CSX: It's not an April fools joke :wink:
UrbEx: Close but no cigar!

It's actually for the construction of the Assembly Square Station. Service will terminate at Sullivan Square. Whether this will be full time for the entire 38 months or if shuttling will be phased in during nights and weekends for a period before the full time shut down begins has not been made clear yet, to my knowledge.

Hopefully they get smart enough to run express busses to Oak Grove and back, so you don't have to put up with the long, winding ride, and extra stops.

(Duh - or people could just take the train to Oak Grove instead. . . . )
Stmtrolleyguy

Postby obienick » Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:32 pm

I'm not sure if the 38 months of shuttles is legit, but the station construction certainly is. $3.5 m of federal transportation funds was just diverted from the Somerville Community Path to the station and supposedly it will be put out to bid this month or next.

More info...
obienick

Postby CRail » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:08 pm

obienick wrote:I'm not sure if the 38 months of shuttles is legit, but the station construction certainly is.

Didn't realize I expressed any uncertainty. How might they build a station on a right of way without effecting it?
CRail

Postby sery2831 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:12 pm

Well they could use the not used outbound track between Sullivan Square and Wellington and the current outbound track as the inbound track. This would free up the area for construction.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby CRail » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:23 pm

I suppose, if work would only effect one track at a time. I'm not sure of how much of a change in the alignment will be required, but I'd be kind of surprised if they'd be able to maintain it to any degree while adding a station to it. I expect there will be a center platform (since that's the only kind they've built in the last 4 decades), and I'm also curious to find out what will become of that express track.

There's no doubt in my mind that such a service disruption could be avoided. The ways of old, with which service was to be maintained at all costs, have subsided to replacing such service when doing so is easier, and perhaps more cost effective. The reasons for this may be more justified than I'm making it sound, but I still think the ridership was better served by the former.
CRail

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)