Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby jamesinclair » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:12 pm

trainhq wrote:Quick note about IKEA; how you going to carry furniture on the Orange Line? :wink:

I know some people who bought a couch at harvard and brought it to Kenmore on the subway...

Also, some people could T to Ikea, and then taxi back.
jamesinclair

Postby trainhq » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:17 pm

O.K. but realistically, how many people are actually going to do that? Not many. Certainly not enough to
make the decisive element in locating an Orange Line
station.
trainhq

Postby jck » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:18 pm

trainhq wrote:Quick note about IKEA; how you going to carry furniture on the Orange Line? :wink:

Delivery seems like the best option to me.
jck

Postby dieciduej » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:31 pm

I don't think its IKEA the store as it is the residential that goes with the IKEA project. To say the least Wellington Circle is already fouled up enough with all the new apartments and condos at the Circle. And Wellington is easier to get to car wise that Sullivan.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby MBTA3247 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:48 pm

Ron Newman wrote:It would be a lot easier to add side platforms. The tracks do not need to be moved at all.

There are three tracks there; the easternmost one isn't in use. At least one track has to be moved and a center platform built in order to service all three tracks (or even just the two in use). Hopefully the T will be smart enough to make allowances for possible express service in the future and use the design I described above. Given that the commuter rail tracks block any construction on the eastern side of the OL, they'll most likely move both the western and middle tracks and leave the currently OOS eastern track where it is.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby octr202 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:01 pm

That's what the flat packaging at IKEA is for! :wink:
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby -Garrett » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:31 pm

scoopernicus_in_Maine wrote:<i>Quick note about IKEA; how you going to carry furniture on the Orange Line?</i>

OT, but my girlfriend says she once brought a fouton mattress on the Green Line. :P

So let me get this straight, we can't bring bikes on the Green line but they let her pass with a fouton mattress (which is huge)? Scratching my head on that one...
-Garrett

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:57 am

vanshnookenraggen wrote:If anything a T stop will probably spur development.

The T's been clear that it's not interested in building a stop here to spur development. If the property owners want to pay the difference in service costs until the ridership reaches X level, I say go right ahead. But a cash-strapped T doesn't need to be building new stations hoping people will eventually use them.

Regardless, as things stand currently, this proposal is still overrated on practical grounds.

IKEA is not going to be the ridership generator on its own that having a station will require, for reasons already pointed out. High-density residential and office development would be required, and even then I have serious doubts as to its viability, since outside this parcel, where will this station draw its riders from? Ten Hills? The far eastern edge of Winter Hill? Those are the only places where this stop's catchment area doesn't overlap with another Orange Line station's.
Pete

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:38 am

If the dam was opened to foot traffic, it could also serve the whole section of Everett on the other side of the river.
Ron Newman

Postby bbfen » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:42 am

trainhq wrote:O.K. but realistically, how many people are actually going to do that? Not many. Certainly not enough to
make the decisive element in locating an Orange Line
station.

I agree Ikea's probably not enough to spur a new stop, but I think you'd be surprised how many people T it to these sort of places, then catch a cab back or arrange for delivery. I do it all the time at South Bay.

Remember, half this city is college kids looking for new things each September (and January, to a degree). As wonderful as it is to order online, there's nothing quite like having access to a bricks 'n mortar to touch and see what you're buying. Plus, with the other places--as mentioned, Goodtimes, Boston Paintball, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.--a new stop there would draw to a population with a certain amount of dispensable income but no vehicular transportation.

And yes, I've know people to move their entire apartment via the Green Line (furniture and mattress sets included). The key is off-peak, non-game day times.
bbfen

Postby Pete » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:36 pm

Ron Newman wrote:If the dam was opened to foot traffic, it could also serve the whole section of Everett on the other side of the river.

This is beginning to sound like a station in search of a need.
Pete

Postby helium » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:15 am

From today's Globe:

http://www.boston.com/business/articles ... ly_square/

"One important component for an urban village would be the proposed T stop. The federal government has earmarked $25 million toward a T station expected to cost $40 million, said US Representative Michael Capuano , a Somerville Democrat. Federal Realty's and Ikea's plan to contribute $15 million should expedite that.

Still, Capuano said, that station is ``several years away" from being a reality."
helium

Postby jck » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:31 am

I read that article. I had a strange feeling of deja vu, as I swear that I read the exact same article about three or four years ago.

The time frame is 2009 (read: 2015, at the earliest) and the article describes only a "tentative" agreement. I wouldn't hold start holding my breath.
jck

Postby dieciduej » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:06 am

I think the station will be built after the Red/Blue line connector and the Arborway line is fully restored, both theoretically legal mandates.

Your right the MBTA is not keen on building that station because there is no guarantee on having X number of people through the AFC gates to justify it. The tentative agreement is not between all the parties and court time will tie it up longer. Looking at between a 2009 to 2012 timeline will the economy fill the apartment/condos or businesses, maybe or maybe not.

I don’t think its worth it.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:29 am

The agreement is between all parties -- IKEA, Federal Realty, the city of Somerville, and the Mystic View Task Force. Everyone has agreed to drop all lawsuits and not to initiate new ones. (I attended the press conference this morning.)
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)