Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Postby jake1966 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Picture taken Saturday morning June 14th. Looks like the 3rd rail has been installed on the south side track.
Attachments
Orange.JPG
jake1966

Postby SM89 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 am

This morning I noticed that the new inbound track is in service and they're no longer using the express track.
SM89

Postby octr202 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:43 am

Sorta - the inbounds are now running via the new track on the west side of the station. This morning there was work equipment on the middle track (to become the outbound main), which is now disconnected. The outbound main was still connected to the express/test track.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby Arlington » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm

Woohoo! They appear to be on schedule for a August station-opening date! Here's an update from the MBTA Assembly Square project Page
As of July 1, 2014, the Assembly Station Project has completed the new southbound track, which is now in service.
The rebuilt northbound track is scheduled to go into service on July 21, 2014.
Assembly Station is targeting an August 2014 opening date and substantial completion is anticipated in November 2014
• Slower train speed between Wellington and Sullivan Square
• Suspended subway service beginning at approximately 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday from July 6, 2014, through August 28, 2014.
• Weekend diversions scheduled for July 19-20 and August 9-10
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby Arlington » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:20 pm

Ok, so if the last weekend diversion is scheduled for August 9/10, does that mean that the station will open in August as touted on the page http://www.mbta.com/about_the_mbta/t_pr ... p?id=22873
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby The EGE » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:35 pm

It seems like a solid bet. Sunday through Thursday night busing for the rest of the month, but the station isn't going to be 100% finished till November anyway.
The EGE

Postby StefanW » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:26 pm

I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.
StefanW

Postby Arlington » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:31 pm

StefanW wrote:I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.

Yaaay! Labor Tuesday is when everyone is "back to work" and "back to school" (and often starting new commutes...resulting in more rookie errors and some of the worst commuter experiences of the year) it should help to "load-balance" some of that to the orange line.
Arlington

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:00 pm

Arlington wrote:
StefanW wrote:I have credible inside information that the official grand opening will be one week from today: Tuesday September 2.

Yaaay! Labor Tuesday is when everyone is "back to work" and "back to school" (and often starting new commutes...resulting in more rookie errors and some of the worst commuter experiences of the year) it should help to "load-balance" some of that to the orange line.

Now that rents in Somerville have priced everyone the hell out of town, chances of a battle royale between a UHaul driven by somebody's dad vs. the Medford Street bridge hosing Orange and Haverhill service for the whole A.M. rush increase 7% each year!
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby djimpact1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:47 am

I hope it's certainly credible, as I'm using this as the basis for taking a day off from work. I don't want to be "that guy" who shows up to work & has to rescind my day off, ha. :wink: Time to fire-up the camera!
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby The EGE » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:26 pm

Stefan's information appears to be correct.
The EGE

Postby dieciduej » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:19 am

Going thru it every morning & afternoon, the platform looks like it is ready to go with the exception of the 3rd rail power cut-off box. Also the windows need to be trimmed out, the supporting wood sills and headers are exposed. Devil is in the details!!! :P The area around the station needs to be worked. I say good to go.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby diburning » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:12 pm

Is there some sort of opening ceremony planned, or will it just open at the beginning of service on Tuesday?
diburning

Postby Arlington » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:59 pm

diburning wrote:Is there some sort of opening ceremony planned, or will it just open at the beginning of service on Tuesday?

Word (via Facebook) is 2:30pm ribbon cutting with the Governor
Arlington

Postby diburning » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 am

Any word on whether the station be open before then? I'd like to go take some pictures of the place, but I have somewhere to be in the afternoon.

EDIT: Found the answer on the MBTA website. The answer is yes, it will be open at the start of service Tuesday.
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)