Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Postby The EGE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:57 am

The luckiest shot I've perhaps ever taken: I focused on the Orange Line train and only noticed the two commuter trains after I pressed the shutter. A third CR train was under me, too!

"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby eastwind » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:09 am

NICE!

Location?
Formerly of Pittsfield and Waterville (Maine), New York City, Montréal, and San Francisco.
eastwind

Postby The EGE » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:37 pm

That shot is from the Mystic Avenue bridge, near Sullivan Square. The small-opening chain link fence makes pictures any wider than that impossible, which is a shame - it's the only portion of the Orange Line - Haverhill Line - Newburyport/Rockport Line gathering not under the I-93 shadow.

When it opens, the entrance lobbies of the station are going to have a nice view of both bridges and the corridor as far as Sullivan Square. It'll be a hell of a place to railfan.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby octr202 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:43 am

Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:50 pm

octr202 wrote:Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.

Well it normally is straight. The curve is just temporary around Assembly Square construction. The picture (nice shot, btw!) does make it look particularly pronounced though.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm

deathtopumpkins wrote:
octr202 wrote:Very nice, indeed. I love how when you ride through there (particularly on the Western route) as a passenger you really have no idea of the curves involved - you'd think it was all straight along that stretch.

Well it normally is straight. The curve is just temporary around Assembly Square construction. The picture (nice shot, btw!) does make it look particularly pronounced though.

The curve has been there as long as the Orange Line has.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:06 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:

I thought he was referring to the jog around the Assembly Square site, sorry.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby dieciduej » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:15 am

The curves were there because the old B&M Yard 21 site was where the now Assembly Square Station.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby Teamdriver » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:02 am

The EGE wrote:That shot is from the Mystic Avenue bridge, near Sullivan Square. The small-opening chain link fence makes pictures any wider than that impossible, which is a shame - it's the only portion of the Orange Line - Haverhill Line - Newburyport/Rockport Line gathering not under the I-93 shadow.

When it opens, the entrance lobbies of the station are going to have a nice view of both bridges and the corridor as far as Sullivan Square. It'll be a hell of a place to railfan.

Here are links to old pics of said Mystic Ave bridge :

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0430

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0440

http://www.historicnewengland.org/colle ... 6.190.0450
Teamdriver

Postby octr202 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 am

deathtopumpkins wrote:
MBTA3247 wrote:
deathtopumpkins wrote:

I thought he was referring to the jog around the Assembly Square site, sorry.

Exactly - It's a lot more exaggerated with the Orange Line now jogged over, but I had been riding the Western for some time before I realized there was a bit of a curve in there.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby The EGE » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm

Progress is looking good. Glass and external finish panels are up on all the headhouses, the bridge modifications look finished, and it looks like they're laying gravel for the inbound track. Concrete bits on the platform make it look like there will be on-platform shelters very similar to the other north-side Orange Line stations.
The EGE

Postby octr202 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:06 am

This morning (4-25-14) construction crews were wrangling one of the first sections of welded rail where the future inbound track will go on the west side of the station.
octr202

Postby dieciduej » Sun May 11, 2014 5:30 am

As of Saturday, May 10th, they have laid running rail into the southbound side of the platform. There is still assorted equipment in the south end of the southbound pit so I figure it will another week or two before the tracks run out the south end.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby FP10 » Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 am

From yesterday:

"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Postby dieciduej » Wed May 14, 2014 5:00 pm

The track is now on the south-side of the new station. Just the running rails only, the other rail is being pulled on to the tie plates.

JoeD
Attachments
Assembly Sq Track.jpg
dieciduej

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)