Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Assembly Square Orange Line Station Discussion

Postby sery2831 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:36 pm

Is there anyone that can grab a shot from Wellington side on how the other side of the bridge looks? I am interested in the track arrangement for the shift over...
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:40 pm

That picture is fantastic. It makes the alignment change look so dramatic. Even before the changed alignment, there was still a curve. But when you're riding the train or looking at Google Maps, it looks straight. Sort of like Huntington Ave: it looks straight on a map, but when you're looking down the street, you see it's not quite true.
BostonUrbEx

Postby The EGE » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:50 pm

sery2831 wrote:Is there anyone that can grab a shot from Wellington side on how the other side of the bridge looks? I am interested in the track arrangement for the shift over...

It looks normal from the Wellington side. The track swapover is just about at the peak of the bridge.
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu May 16, 2013 6:20 am

Just a due update...

The island platform's foundation is well under way, and it's footprint is pretty clear.

The bridge over the mystic had it's approach partially demolished in order for it to flare out slightly in order for the inbound track to swing out around the island platform. They are (or did? I haven't looked at that part in a while) reconstructing the retaining wall of the part of the bridge they demolished.

That's about it. Progress is slow but certain.
BostonUrbEx

Postby octr202 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Been no updates here for a while, but not for lack of activity. About 2-3 weeks ago, the steel for the stairs/escalator enclosure on the platform started going up. Platform foundations look fully poured, and this week they started installing the platform slabs. Looks like the yellow platform edge strips even come pre-installed! But still no work on the new Mystic Bridge retaining wall - just the footings so far.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby The EGE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:19 pm

A bit behind, but here's shots I grabbed a week ago.

Image Image
"Give me an unobstructed right-of-way and I'll show them how to move the earth!"
The EGE

Postby dieciduej » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:41 am

Sorry no photos but platform decking is in place at the southern end of the station as well as sort of mid-station deck. They are prefab sections even with the tactile yellow safety edge in place. I will try to take a picture and post at a later time.

Looks like the next major work will be the widening of the Wellington Bridge on the southside to accommodate the inbound trackage.

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby BostonUrbEx » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:54 am

dieciduej wrote:Looks like the next major work will be the widening of the Wellington Bridge on the southside to accommodate the inbound trackage.

Progress on this portion has stopped inexplicably. They were doing it right along with platform construction, and then they stopped maybe a month ago. I would think they'd want to get that done ASAP, as there's no wall holding up the current Orange Line trackbed and ballast. I would imagine that a good rainstorm would cause a serious washout?
BostonUrbEx

Postby dieciduej » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm

As promised.

As for the bridge they might have waited for the platform to be finalized just to make everything lines up.

JoeD
Attachments
IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0612.JPG (182.24 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_0613.JPG
IMG_0613.JPG (153.53 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG (124.91 KiB) Viewed 3227 times
dieciduej

Postby dieciduej » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:37 am

I see bridge footings begin prepared!

JoeD
dieciduej

Postby dieciduej » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:44 pm

BostonUrbEx wrote:
dieciduej wrote:Looks like the next major work will be the widening of the Wellington Bridge on the southside to accommodate the inbound trackage.

Progress on this portion has stopped inexplicably. They were doing it right along with platform construction, and then they stopped maybe a month ago. I would think they'd want to get that done ASAP, as there's no wall holding up the current Orange Line trackbed and ballast. I would imagine that a good rainstorm would cause a serious washout?

Here you go footings have started!

JoeD
Attachments
Bridge Footings.JPG
Bridge Footings.JPG (185.54 KiB) Viewed 3007 times
dieciduej

Postby The EGE » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:24 pm

When I passed by on Saturday, there was a substantial amount of steel up for the entrance headhouse on the north side of the station, which was not there two weeks ago. Nothing vertical yet on the south headhouses, either platform or entrance side.

The EGE

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 am

The EGE wrote:When I passed by on Saturday, there was a substantial amount of steel up for the entrance headhouse on the north side of the station, which was not there two weeks ago. Nothing vertical yet on the south headhouses, either platform or entrance side.

Nice picture of steel being assembled on the site thereabouts was a Ford Motor Car assembly plant ,which was rail served I believe......
Teamdriver

Postby Teamdriver » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 am

The EGE wrote:When I passed by on Saturday, there was a substantial amount of steel up for the entrance headhouse on the north side of the station, which was not there two weeks ago. Nothing vertical yet on the south headhouses, either platform or entrance side.

Nice picture of steel being assembled on the site thereabouts was a Ford Motor Car assembly plant ,which was rail served I believe......
Teamdriver

Postby The EGE » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Image Image

Construction proceeds. South headhouse (left) is looking good; north headhouse has brick up on the platform side. My photos, attribution-sharealike license as usual.
The EGE

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)