Take the train to the Game! (Pat's Train)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Foxboro MBTA CR Station Discussion

Postby mental757 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:45 am

Attleboro Sun Chronicle: "Next stop, Gillette"

http://www.sunchronicle.com/articles/20 ... 119594.txt

partial text:

"With help from the town's planning department, the MBTA is studying the feasibility of opening a commuter rail station next to Patriot Place."
mental757

Re: Foxboro MBTA CR station

Postby BostonUrbEx » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:42 am

I don't understand how this will be achieved unless they take Providence-to-Boston trains and cross them over after Mansfield to the Franklin line. That would add quite some time and I don't see it being worth it at all.
BostonUrbEx

Postby sery2831 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:16 am

There already is a station there, this doesn't make an sense!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby sixflagscoasters » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:01 pm

If the Kraft Family will be willing to pay for a new station closer to the Stadium/Patriot Place, then it makes sense to me!

I think they could spur off a track located near the other spur north of the station, and then travel under the road that current station path to the current station travels under, then go to a spot right next to the CBS Scene building where the open space is between the stadium and that building. That is of course if that area has not already been built on or will be. I am just going by the Google maps sat. image.
sixflagscoasters

Postby TomNelligan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:30 pm

The second line in this quote from the article sums it up:

State Rep. Jay Barrows said he is aware of the long-range interest in establishing a regular MBTA stop at Gillette Stadium "to create economic opportunity in and around Patriot Place."

"How they would fund it, pay for it, I have no idea," Barrows said.

So basically some consultants will collect some of our tax money for a "study" and nothing concrete will happen for years, if ever. That's the Massachusetts way. And while I'm a serious Patriots fan, I also believe that the very wealthy Bob Kraft doesn't merit public money for his private business ventures like Patriots Place, which is already doing quite well.

A station is just a starting point. They'd also have to pay for fixing up the slow-ordered Foxboro-Walpole trackage and then cover the ongoing operating costs of trains on the route.
TomNelligan

Postby Tracer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:37 pm

Just throw a coach on csx B732. They stop there almost everyday :P .
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20100 ... 525744.jpg
Tracer

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:39 pm

sixflagscoasters wrote:If the Kraft Family will be willing to pay for a new station closer to the Stadium/Patriot Place, then it makes sense to me!

I'm pretty sure that unless Kraft wants to pay for the entire project himself, the cost of moving the station all of 500 feet closer to the stadium far outweighs any possible benefit. Besides, people need the exercise anyway. :wink:
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby CBass1307 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:16 pm

MBTA3247 wrote:
sixflagscoasters wrote:If the Kraft Family will be willing to pay for a new station closer to the Stadium/Patriot Place, then it makes sense to me!

I'm pretty sure that unless Kraft wants to pay for the entire project himself, the cost of moving the station all of 500 feet closer to the stadium far outweighs any possible benefit. Besides, people need the exercise anyway. :wink:

Its really not a long walk anyways. From the station to CBS Scenes it takes 2 or 3 minutes to walk it.

If this were to be done would a second track be needed, seeing as to how B732 blocks the main for a few hours everytime it switches that terminal (usually around 5pm every weekday)?

Also which direction does the connection go in when the Foxborough line meets the Franklin line, Inbound or Outbound? If it faces Outbound seems to me like they would need to re- build or add track there to prevent a need for a reverse move, like the one that would be needed in Mansfield if they decieded to go that way.
CBass1307

Postby 130MM » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:18 am

CBass1307 wrote:If this were to be done would a second track be needed, seeing as to how B732 blocks the main for a few hours everytime it switches that terminal (usually around 5pm every weekday)?

Also which direction does the connection go in when the Foxborough line meets the Franklin line, Inbound or Outbound? If it faces Outbound seems to me like they would need to re- build or add track there to prevent a need for a reverse move, like the one that would be needed in Mansfield if they decieded to go that way.

The thinking is that the freight can be rescheduled relatively easily (if you're not part of the train crew!).

And there already is a connection for a move for a northbound train on the Framingham Secondary to the eastbound Franklin Branch. The track is called "Lewis' Wye". It is the track one crosses driving into the Walpole station parking lot. It is not powered on either end, and would have to be powered up to make an efficient move.

DAW
130MM

Postby MBTA1052 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:15 pm

On average how many CR trains go to Foxboro during the year, because I never hear about any of the trips to and from Foxboro, figuring the station is in between Mansfields(Providence Line) and Walpole(Franlin Line)??? :wink:
I love the smell of Diesel Fuel in the Morning!! ;)
MBTA1052

Postby BostonUrbEx » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:27 pm

MBTA1052 wrote:On average how many CR trains go to Foxboro during the year, because I never hear about any of the trips to and from Foxboro, figuring the station is in between Mansfields(Providence Line) and Walpole(Franlin Line)??? :wink:

I believe 2 go to Foxboro per home game (one from Providence and one from Boston) and 2 are outbound from Foxboro (again, Providence and Boston).
BostonUrbEx

Postby MBTA1052 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:32 pm

If only the MBCR decided to convert the Line to Foxboro to trains can make runs through there with no problem!!! :P
I love the smell of Diesel Fuel in the Morning!! ;)
MBTA1052

Postby jamesinclair » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:23 pm

Instead of a providence commuter rail train detouring to Foxboro, it would make more sense to have a small shuttle train (like a DMU) running only on that line, connecting with the providence line and then Frankilin line. IE: 3 stops. Mansfield, Patriots Place, Walpole (or Norfolk, whichever is easier).

It would help get people to patriot place AND to various non-patriot events held at the stadium, like Revs games and concerts.

Of course, the krafts would pay for it.

I believe 2 go to Foxboro per home game (one from Providence and one from Boston) and 2 are outbound from Foxboro (again, Providence and Boston).

The college lacrosse tournament last year also had commuter rail service from south station. I dont know if its an annual event or if it was a one time thing.
jamesinclair

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:55 am

How are the track speeds on the Framingham Secondary? This might make sense as a short-turn to increase frequencies on the inner two-thirds of the Franklin (provided they get some double-tracking extension) and maybe inner half of the NEC. And the parking at Patriot Place and the Stadium has real upside with proximity to the 95/495 junction. But I don't see the upside if you've got overly-compromised track speeds that are fine for freight but inadequate for commuter schedule management.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Framingham Sec speeds

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:22 pm

Max speed for the Framingham Secondary is forn Psgr 15 mph (28 km/h), 10mph freight (20 km/h), so this means the track on the Framingham Sec would have to be totally replaced to allow for 100 km/h (60mph) running.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)