Take the train to the Game! (Pat's Train)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:25 am

one train leaves from South Station and another from Providence and they both meet at the Foxboro train station
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:18 am

Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:26 am

BBY = back bay tunnel??
Yes Matt, Back Bay tunnel.

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:one train leaves from South Station and another from Providence and they both meet at the Foxboro train station
The one from Boston goes to Walpole & Foxboro via the Franklin Branch while the Providence comes north to Mansfield where it then gets the Framingham Secondary to Foxboro.
CSX Conductor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:26 am

I remember the train from BOS used to go to Foxboro via the Amtrak/NEC and RT 128/Westwood. Why did they rerouted it via Franknlin? It made more sense to use the NEC rather than the Franklin Line.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:02 pm

Maybe this became necessary once they reinstated Providence football trains?
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:24 pm

Ron Newman wrote:Maybe this became necessary once they reinstated Providence football trains?
Exactly. Since the Framingham Secondary is non-signalled (Dark Territory) only one train can occupy a certain section of the track at a time. In 2002 the DCS Block sign "Fox" was relocated from MP 4 north to the center of the Foxboro commuter rail platform. By doing this one train can get a Form D (EC-1 Form on CSXT) in both directions between "Mansfield" & "Fox" while the other train can get a Form D or EC-1 in both directions between "Walpole" & "Fox". :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:38 pm

i saw this delay on the MBTA website:

Commuter Rail Providence/Stoughton for the Patriots game additional cars added to train thereby doubling train size to accommodate all passengers. 12/16/2007 5:00 PM

anyone know if they brought another trainset down to the stadium?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby ridintherails » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:43 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:i saw this delay on the MBTA website:

Commuter Rail Providence/Stoughton for the Patriots game additional cars added to train thereby doubling train size to accommodate all passengers. 12/16/2007 5:00 PM

anyone know if they brought another trainset down to the stadium?

Talking on the phone with a few other members on the forum, I here the consist is made up of 3 locomotives and 17 cars.

I guess sh** hit the fan too, im sure what happend yet...
The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.
ridintherails

Postby sery2831 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Is the Providence set a 'double draft' and the Boston set just a normal one? 3 engines and 17 cars for two different trains doesn't describe what is going on :-)
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby ridintherails » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:55 pm

sery2831 wrote:Is the Providence set a 'double draft' and the Boston set just a normal one? 3 engines and 17 cars for two different trains doesn't describe what is going on :-)

I guess one makup was a double draft. The one from boston was a single set which died out, connecting, making it a 17 car 3 loco set.
Long train.
The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.
ridintherails

Postby sery2831 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:57 pm

Well I can see them hooking them all together for the layover down there...
sery2831

Here's the scoop on Sunday's Pats train

Postby SouthieSox08 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:25 pm

Here's my experience from Sunday's Patriots train during the Noreaster.

Got to South Station about 10:15 for the 11:00 train. Long line snaking throughout the lobby for people waiting to buy tickets. Around 10:35, boarding began. T officials were checking on the platform and only let people with tickets on the platform. Meanwhile, hundreds of people are waiting for tickets in a line that doesn't move. At 10:55 people begin panicking, and the ticket line collapses in an instant. I noticed that they were no longer checking for tickets on the platform. Everyone makes a beeline for the train, including me.

Train leaves at 11:05, leaving people behind at South Station. There was a vague announcement about another option for those who missed the first train. I paid my roundtrip fare on the train with no problem.

Our train, 11 cars, at least 7 of them bi-levels, is filled at South Station, with standees. I stood the whole way down.

Meanwhile, my buddies were waiting at Back Bay for the train. We wound up going nonstop to Gillette, passing by cold and wet fans at Back Bay, Dedham Corp. and Norwood.

They did send another train, to take everyone left behind to Walpole. My train got to Gillette around 12:15. I decided to stay on the train and keep dry, as I had the football tickets for my friends. T conductors and police were cool.

We went back to Walpole and picked up the other fans. Train arrived at Gillette at 1:30. By the time we got to our seats it was 5 minutes before halftime.

We had been told there would be two Boston trains after the game - 30 minutes after and 60 minutes after, assumedly doing the same shuttle. But in the 4th quarter they announced there would only be one train to Boston, 30 minutes after the game. Fearing overcrowding, we left with five minutes left in the game to walk to the train.

While I enjoyed taking the train and it was much better than driving in the Noreaster, I just wish the T had been a little more organized and anticipate the huge response. It would have been nice to actually see most of the first half...
SouthieSox08

Postby CSX Conductor » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:50 pm

The reason why the 2nd Boston train had passengers transfer to the first one @ Walpole is because the first one had the EC-1 to operate in both directions between Walpole & Fox. The station sign for "FOX" was moved north to the station a few years ago to allow both the Boston & Providence sections to run on the Secondary at the same time. :wink:
CSX Conductor

Postby sery2831 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:38 pm

What happens when the Boston section arrives at FOX?
sery2831

Couldn't the 1st train clear at Walpole?

Postby Agent at Clicquot » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:23 pm

CSX Conductor wrote:The reason why the 2nd Boston train had passengers transfer to the first one @ Walpole is because the first one had the EC-1 to operate in both directions between Walpole & Fox.

Was the 2nd Boston train a Football Extra, or a normal move? If so ...

Couldn't the 1st Boston train return to Walpole, stopping on the Secondary at the Northbound homeboard. It should clear the switch between the Secondary and wye that connects to the MBTA main. Once here, couldn't it's EC-1 be canceled so the 2nd Boston train can head for Fox?

Or ... are the Football Trains crossing the diamond?

* JB *
Agent at Clicquot

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)