CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby octr202 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:29 am

sabourinj wrote:
danib62 wrote:Wow I didn't realize they'd be so big! I imagined something small that would maybe house one machine.

They were originally planned to have at least two vending machines which is standard for any FVM install in the system (one full service and one credit only) and a call box. Not sure if they added other features or not. At least it will also provide some nice shelter - hopefully people won't smoke in them or destroy them.

JS

Perhaps that one was built larger to accomodate more machines for post-game crowds.

I can't imagine a structure that large fitting at some of the D Line stops...and certainly won't be happening anywhere on the B Line.

As for not being destroyed and/or smoked in....well, it will be at a T station... :(
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:25 pm

Maybe itll double as a weather shelter? I wonder if there will be a bench inside.

Also, when will the trolleys start to get the boxes? No point selling tickets if they cant be used...
jamesinclair

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:13 am

I was on a 57 today comming out of Watertown to Newton Corner. It had one of the "new" Fareboxes, the driver though, didn't seem like he was a fan of it. It was surprising too, the box was put in on a really old RTS
GP40MC 1116

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:49 am

Last night, I saw 12 Charlie gates sitting in the plaza outside Porter Square station.
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:14 am

Harvard got its "Green Zone" just inside the main turnstiles sometime yesterday. Still no visible work outside of the fencing yet.

There are a couple gates on pallets by the left side token booth, but they've beent ehre for a couple weeks now.
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Postby sjd0356 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:58 am

Park Street westbound is up and running. I noticed they removed one of the collectors booths on the westbound to add more room for ticket machines.
sjd0356

Postby Ron Newman » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:06 am

I was pleased to learn that what used to be an exit-only stairway, from the south end of the southbound Green Line platform, now has two Charlie gates.
Ron Newman

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:08 pm

I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

1) Trolleys dont have the new boxes yet, and wont for awhile
2) New boxes accept cash, so no need for a ticket
3) If price hike happens, tickets and cash will both be just as much as a ripoff.

I dont see why we need them in above ground stops.
jamesinclair

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:17 pm

1) The FVM's aren't operational yet. They will be once the trolleys get the new fareboxes.

2) Try riding 5xx series express bus someday. It takes FOREVER when people pay with coins.

3) It's not about how much the fare will be, it's about how fast it takes to board. It's faster using a CharlieTicket than to pay with coins.
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby geoff2 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:16 pm

jamesinclair wrote:I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

3) If price hike happens, tickets and cash will both be just as much as a ripoff.

AznSumtinSumtin made good points, but also, it will cost as much to board using a ticket as using cash, but it will cost less using a card. And for folks who don't have consistent internet access at home (or, also likely, who aren't computer proficient), it's a good way to reload their CharlieCard.
geoff2

Postby octr202 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:26 am

jamesinclair wrote:I have a question about the D-line FVMs....

Whats the point?

The Green Line cars will have the new fareboxes sooner than you think. Given the slow process of someone paying a $3 fare in quarters on a new farebox, the tickets will be essential.

I'm of two minds. If someone wants to put coins in the farebox, it'll take a while, but hopefully most people will be persuaded to trade their currency for a ticket while they wait for the train.

Also, keep in mind that this will mostly be a key issue at off peak times -- peak riders will either use a pass or figure out the ticket drill pretty quick.

As for taking a long time -- well, a station-load of weekend riders all trying to cram $3 in bills in the farebox isn't real fast either.
octr202

Postby geoff2 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:10 pm

CharlieCard coming in November, per Mac Daniel, citing MBTA spokesman, who expects "hundreds of thousands" in distribution by the end of the year.
geoff2

Postby mattster » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:39 pm

About those gates... today I ate lunch in the Common and was nearest to the new used-to-be-exit-only entrance to Park Street. I went down with my pass in hand and found both gates wide open. I stood there for a bit confused and proceeded to walk through. Imagine my shock when the alarm went off and the gates literally closed on me. It didn't really hurt, but it was alarming in the least.

They tricked me!
mattster

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:36 pm

Did you put the pass into the gate, or just walk through?
Ron Newman

Postby danib62 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:40 pm

mattster wrote:About those gates... today I ate lunch in the Common and was nearest to the new used-to-be-exit-only entrance to Park Street. I went down with my pass in hand and found both gates wide open. I stood there for a bit confused and proceeded to walk through. Imagine my shock when the alarm went off and the gates literally closed on me. It didn't really hurt, but it was alarming in the least.

They tricked me!
I think they were testing your honesty and you failed! :-D
danib62

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)