CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: CharlieCard / Ticket discussion

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:27 pm

About time. That kind of tech has been around for over a decade.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby RenegadeMonster » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm

It's been in testing for a few months now. 1 Crew has had it on the north side at least.

It is about time. But I wonder how it all fits into CharlieCard 2.0?

By 2020 they will have pay stations set up at all non Boston Stations and Gates at Boston stations. You will have to tap in and tap off. Failure to do so will result in a charge of the Maximum number of zones.

So say me, if I get off at Salem and forget to go to the kiosk and tap off I will automatically be charged the maximum. Or if I don't tap in and then tap out at the gate at North station I would be charged the maximum number of zones.

Will paying by CC on board give you something you can tap / scan at the gates? If not what's going to happen in 2020? Also, the plan is to remove cash being collected on trains completely by the end of 2020? Would they still take Credit after this?
RenegadeMonster

Postby andrewjw » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 pm

Once 'tap on, tap off' is implemented, the standard from other parts of the world would be to offer the following

Tap on and off with your CharlieCard 2.0, which can be refilled with cash.
    Tap on and off with your contactless credit or debit card
    or cash-only customers, the above is an inconvenience - what if you don't yet have a CharlieCard? One standard would be to offer CharlieTicket machines at every station, with an 'alternate verification lane' (hand your ticket to an agent) at the Ring of Steel.
andrewjw

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:55 pm

An alternate verification line wouldn't be needed - there is ticket-type fare media available with RFID built into it. Functionally, it works the same as a CharlieCard.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby andrewjw » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:05 pm

Hmm, yes. Like the Ventra Ticket.
andrewjw

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:53 pm

How would they handle malfunctioning tap off machines at a destination station?
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:09 am

They won't. You'll have to fill out an online form that has no links to it and wait "8-10 weeks" for a reply which won't come.

SImilarly, when your train breaks down and they transfer you to a bus and drop you off in the parking lot after a 4 hour delay the system will have already "decided" that you didn't tap out and charge you the max.
Rbts Stn

Postby RenegadeMonster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:25 am

You would think the system would be able to handle that and it's been thought through.

I know the system they want to use is used in Europe without issue, but I guarantee they don't have the reliability issues we have with our fleet. That being said. The system has been used in other parts of the world and is reliable. So I would hope it would be a solid implementation.
RenegadeMonster

Postby Ryand-Smith » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:21 pm

Caltrans uses a unified media card (Clipper) that can be used on bus, subway and heavy rail. IT can hold digital monthly passes for multiple systems, raw cash which is used for tap on and off and it holds transfers. This is LONG solved technology.
Last edited by CRail on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unnecessary quote removed.
Ryand-Smith

Postby Teamdriver » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:48 pm

Commuter rail trains to accept onboard credit card payments

BOSTON — Keolis Commuter Services, the MBTA’s operating partner, and the MBTA have announced that beginning this fall commuter rail passengers will be able to pay onboard with a credit or debit card.

A first for the network, a new mobile point of sale system has been tested and refined and over the next two months will be expanded to include all conductors.

http://plymouth.wickedlocal.com/news/20 ... d-payments

Excuse please if this is somehere else !
Teamdriver

Postby BandA » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:22 pm

If the Conductor could use their Bluetooth printer to print all tickets instead of using the paper & hole-punch that would save some clerk from tallying or auditing the paper tickets, right?
BandA

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)