Blue Line 0600 Tracker (Hawker-Siddeley) RETIRED

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Blue Line 0600 Tracker (Hawker-Siddeley) RETIRED

Postby RailBus63 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:26 pm

This is the same authority that decided to park its restored PCC streetcar on an unused track and remove the switch and hides its restored GM Old Look bus at Everett Shops (both of those vehicles were restored by union workers, not the T). I've long ago given up any hope of the current management doing anything with older equipment for nostalgia purposes.
RailBus63

Postby SM89 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:32 pm

I've always wondered how they get those out at Boylston... I guess they can't now. They should have just put them on the other side.

It would be nice to have a 0600 around as a throwback, but overall, they really weren't anything too special.
SM89

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:35 pm

SM89 wrote: It would be nice to have a 0600 around as a throwback, but overall, they really weren't anything too special.

They were special to me, so it depends on who you ask.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby SM89 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:26 pm

lol. I knew someone was gonna jump on that.
SM89

Postby CRail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:59 pm

Probably wasn't an appropriate comment on an enthusiasts' forum. Especially where people are present who've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours of work to save a pair of them.

I wouldn't have spent a week of 12+ hour workdays out in a freezing December loading them and on a truck and unloading them at Seashore if the weren't anything too special.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:57 pm

SM89 wrote:lol. I knew someone was gonna jump on that.

Unlike others, I did not mean my comments to be terse.

They arrived when I was born. I rode them just about everyday. To school, work and such. Sneaking into Boston as a 9 year old, I have fond memories of the foe wood, blue seat and Orange floors. Just recently I went out on the Orange line to met our good friend Paul, 3rdrail. Riding out there on the Orange Blossoms brought back nice memories.

When the 700's came on line, It was not uncommon for me or others to skip 700 4 sets and wait for a 600. They always seemed to fit more people. Once they increased the 700 sets to 6, well that changed everything. Everyone would wait for a 6 car 700 set and run down the platform to fill up the extra cars.

I still remember the last day I got a ride on a 600, I believe it was 613. I had not seen one in quite awhile. That day there were delays on the Blue line. A 4 car set came around the bend into Wood Island. Off we went into town. It was nice.
Last edited by Adams_Umass_Boston on Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby sery2831 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:40 pm

They are also very special to me. As I was born when they arrived as well. But more so, that my Dad was the motorman assigned to tow them from Cambells Gate to Orient Heights when the very first cars arrived!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Can you give us a story about that move, John ? I myself have never heard of Cambells Gate before and would love to hear how the 6's arrived. Thanks !
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:18 pm

I too would like to hear the story guys. I have the Roll Sign Sept/Oct 1978 where the show the delivery. I guess they were delivered to the B&M in Somerville. The it shows a picture of them on a strange track. That is labeled, "The new Blue Line Cars were moved to the MBTA's Orient Heights Carhouse around 2am, on October 27th. Shown here are the cars being moved over special connecting track work to the Blue Line near Wood Island Station. -Dan Cohen- "
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby SM89 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 pm

CRail wrote:Probably wasn't an appropriate comment on an enthusiasts' forum. Especially where people are present who've spent thousands of dollars and countless hours of work to save a pair of them.

I wouldn't have spent a week of 12+ hour workdays out in a freezing December loading them and on a truck and unloading them at Seashore if the weren't anything too special.

I'm here too, so obviously I'm an enthusiast as well. As was said before though, the MBTA has shown that they don't do a very good job at preserving old equipment so that it's useful (that Old Look bus at Everett, the B&M multiple units left to die near BET, etc). My point is that there already is a set saved at Seashore that will be cared for, though it may never run on the MBTA system again. I'm not too sure it would mean much if the MBTA ended up having a set around because the public wouldn't be able to enjoy it anyway. Take that 01400 red line set, it's there, but what is it doing?
SM89

Postby sery2831 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Well I know my Dad was very excited about the delivery of the new cars according to my Mom. He was working work train at the time, he actually retired off of that job. Danny has film of the cars and my Dad being handed over by Wood Island, and the connection location was called Cambells Gate. I believe it was the Penn Central and not the B&M that brought the cars to the T. I have never seen the film, only a few photos. The real details of the story are really with Danny and not my Dad.

An interesting note, when the 0700s were being tested, the same people who tested the 0600s were on board working for Seimens as consultants. They are actually all retired now. They remembered my Dad and I was allowed to ride on the first move ever with the cars from Wonderland back to Heights on the inbound track.
sery2831

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:31 pm

John it was B&M GP that did the delivery. THe oic is in one of the Rollsign Issues with the B&M on the nose and no white stripe. Ill look it up also Jor "Bags" Reardon was also there with Danny too . He was a motorman on the line as wel I am sure your dad worked with him many times. But I remember Danny telling me about the delivery and a 51 train took the delivery to the Hts that night.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby sery2831 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:27 am

Interesting, as I thought I was told these cars came via Penn Central over the Grand Junction Branch. They must have been interchanged near BET before being handed over to the T.
sery2831

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:37 am

I wouldn’t go as far as saying the 0600’s were nothing special, but they wore the same paint scheme their entire lives and changed little other than rusting and getting worse looking as they aged (the same can obviously be said for the 01200’s as well). To some of us those factors make the Hawker cars somewhat less interesting – compare this to the 01500 and 01600 series cars, Type 7’s and F40PH-2C/2M’s which received an entirely different paint scheme, the Boeing LRV’s with their roof A/C and folding-door retrofits. Even the few remaining PCC cars have worn multiple paint schemes since 1980.

One thing the 0600’s had going for them was that they did run on a scenic and interesting line – the modern-day Orange Line has to be one of the least photogenic rapid transit lines in North America.
RailBus63

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:40 am

StevieC48 wrote:John it was B&M GP that did the delivery. THe oic is in one of the Rollsign Issues with the B&M on the nose and no white stripe. Ill look it up also Jor "Bags" Reardon was also there with Danny too . He was a motorman on the line as wel I am sure your dad worked with him many times. But I remember Danny telling me about the delivery and a 51 train took the delivery to the Hts that night.

I remember Joe Reardon - good guy. He let me and my friends ride in the cab with him on multiple occasions back in the 1980's.
RailBus63

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)