Green Line Boeing LRV General Discussion

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Green Line Boeing LRV General Discussion

Postby jr145 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:34 am

I stand corrected then. I was given wrong information.
jr145

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:44 am

jr145 wrote:I stand corrected then. I was given wrong information.

Regardless, I wish they'd scrap the Bredas instead.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:36 am

Have you guys ever seen this article about the LRV's ? I've posted it before on RRN, but it's worth posting again. It's a San Francisco Chronicle article that is very descriptive about the LRV drama.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... S16054.dtl
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby shawnp » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:01 pm

jr145 wrote:I have that rollsign from an R46 car that I told you about in this thread http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=84417 that I got 10 years ago for a few bucks. Now people are charging $200 for each piece of the sign. Its insane. Granted theres one guy that bought up half the stuff the MTA was selling and now is price gouging, but still.

I hope I can snag a front rollsign eventually. Its a shame that they converted the type 7s to those horrible digital signs. Since all of the original rolls were probably destroyed.

The R9 sign is on consignment currently. I'm hoping to get a little bit of cash to put towards a station sign.

But before I derail this thread, I was reading the comments in that video and the guy that posted it said that the red and green lights on the front sign use 32v, anyone know if the fluorescent tubes use the same?

$200? Try $450. This is just crazy: http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=12101
shawnp

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:38 pm

shawnp wrote:$200? Try $450. This is just crazy: http://www.wardmaps.com/viewasset.php?aid=12101

And that's only for a one destination cut-out from the curtain without the rest of the curtain or a geared box ! They're selling a "PARK ST." sign for $2,500.00 that I don't even think is original. Caveat emptor.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Type7trolley » Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:43 pm

jr145 wrote:But before I derail this thread, I was reading the comments in that video and the guy that posted it said that the red and green lights on the front sign use 32v, anyone know if the fluorescent tubes use the same?

That'd be me :), a friend and I were lucky enough to get the sign as salvage; it would have only been riddled with bullets/incinerated otherwise (military training). This was before the Wardmaps stuff had begun. As for the lights, I've tried to get the fluorescent backlights working before but it's a bit more involved than the incandescent markers, and I'm far from an expert. There are two GE bulbs with the model number "F30T12-CW-RS", which according to google uses an odd 30 watts/77 volts. Another issue, there is no electronic ballast inside the box, which these would need. I guess this would've been somewhere else in the car? Now we know why these were such a pain for maintenance. :P If anyone knows anything about the electronics systems of these cars chime in!

Feel free to move this to a better fitting thread if you want, John.

Edit: Thanks for the WD40 tip as well Paul, I'll have to try that!
Type7trolley

Postby typesix » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:35 pm

The F30 bulb is a standard bulb, although nowadays not used as much, it can still be found in some smaller hardware stores and at least one of the big box hardware stores. The building I work in uses F30 bulbs for the elevator lighting, but with 120VAC ballasts. The CW stands for Cool White, the type of color emitted. The RS stands for Rapid Start, the type of ballast the lamp is compatible with. At the time the LRVs were made, electronic ballasts were not readily available and would likely have the older magnetic ballasts, which will look the same.
typesix

Postby Type7trolley » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:43 am

Thanks for the info typesix, is something like this all I'd need to wire it up?
Type7trolley

Postby Disney Guy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:42 pm

San Francisco's Boeing rollsigns were motorized, with bar codes to synchronize sides and ends. Boston's were all hand cranked.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby typesix » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:45 pm

Type7trolley wrote:Thanks for the info typesix, is something like this all I'd need to wire it up?

Yes, something like that, of course make all wiring is proper and grounded.
typesix

Postby djimpact1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:40 am

I went to Riverside about a month ago, and was very amused to see a picture of a Boeing LRV with the "A Watertown" side destination sign displayed. I believe it was a work car, as it was in an orange paint scheme.

Can someone clarify whether or not there are still any stored Boeings at Riverside just collecting dust, or have they all met their fate?
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby Disney Guy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:12 pm

3rdrail wrote:Have you guys ever seen this article about the LRV's ? I've posted it before on RRN, but it's worth posting again. It's a San Francisco Chronicle article that is very descriptive about the LRV drama.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... S16054.dtl

1. According to the article Boston was originally required to keep the Boeing LRV's in service for 25 years,.

2. According to the article, the federal government relented and allowed Boston to get rid of the LRV's after 15 years.

3. As it actually happened, due to equipment shortages, Boston had to give some (about 60) of the Boeing LRV's a mid-life overhaul and some stayed in passenger service for 30 years.

The 77 volts for the F30T12 fluorescent lamp is the voltage between the ends of the lamp in a circuit with the proper ballast and when the lamp has warmed up.
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby jr145 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:04 pm

From what ive been told, the last of the Boeings have been scrapped. Short of the work cars.
jr145

Postby StevieC48 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

Unfourtnately your right I was there the other day and Boston Fire Rescue 1 was doing their annual training. Also all the LRV work equipment execpt 3417 have been sitting in the yard blocked in haven't been moved in a while. I spoke with JB who related that they have not used any of the equipment for a few months. So it keep an eye out it might be the end of all the LRV's on the property.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:10 pm

It seems the CTA 2400s (Boeing's other product of the same period) will outlast the last LRV in work service.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)