Alewife Car Storage

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Alewife Car Storage

Postby subway2004 » Fri May 14, 2004 10:53 am

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about the red line car storage in Cambridge at Alewife. Is it completly underground? Is there some sort of facility that extends aboveground? How many sets are usually stored there. I have looked around the area and could not locate anything. I really wanted to get a peek at it! Any help would be appreciated!
subway2004

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Fri May 14, 2004 11:34 am

I think it is all underground and just stub ended like at Braintree. It is designed so it can be extended to Arlington so it curves Northwest after Alewife. I don't know how far it goes though.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby octr202 » Fri May 14, 2004 1:08 pm

I believe its is essentially a three track yard -- the continuation of the two Mains and one side track.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby savebowdoin » Sat May 15, 2004 8:47 pm

If you follow the Minuteman Bikeway from Alewife Station, walk under Route 2 and there will be a large field area. Along the bike path are some emergency exit metal panels that say "Subway - Stand Clear). I believe the yard ends around where these grates are, which is not long before the paved bikeway begins.

Mike
savebowdoin

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)