Red Line shutdown and Savin Hill

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Red Line shutdown and Savin Hill

Postby vanshnookenraggen » Tue May 11, 2004 9:54 pm

Now that Savin Hill station is shut down for destruction and rebuilding, how will this affect the rest of the Ashmont branch? I know there will be bussing but is the whole branch shut down? Or will it just be nights like the Orange Line signal replacment thing?

Also, anyone get any good pics of the old station? I got a couple. I hope the new one is nice. I saw drawings of if once but I can't seem to find them now.

Also, the new Fields Corner station designs are up on the Ts website.. here. There seems to be some controversy over the fact that there will not a an escalator on the outbound platform due to cost.
vanshnookenraggen

Postby CS » Wed May 12, 2004 8:03 am

No the entire branch is not shutdown. Trains simply bypass Savin Hill, but the rest of the Ashmont line is operating, although on Memorial Day weekend the entire line will shut down while they remove the roof at Fields Corner.
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby claytor » Thu May 13, 2004 3:16 pm

MBTA wantedto shut down the Old Colony over the Memorial Day Weekend,BVus between JFK and Quincy,while they wetre tearing down the Savin Hill Headhouse. Issues have been resolved and only the Ashmont RedLine will be Embargo'd
claytor

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri May 14, 2004 5:27 am

That's actually good news for Braintree Passengers, like................yours truly. But I was hoping that the entire Ashmont Bramch was gonna be shutdown on weekdays also so that way, us Braintree Passengers can have more service to Braintree Station and all crews would have to do Braintree-Alewife ONLY, nowhere else.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby CS » Fri May 14, 2004 4:27 pm

But that wouldn't be good for us Ashmont passengers, now would it :wink: ?
But, at some point I'm sure that would happen. One idea I have had is at past Ashmont, turn left under Gallivan blvd and join the Braintree tracks making one line - but that would be costly.
C. Sarjeant
"CS"
CS

Postby Robert Paniagua » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:10 am

Well, the attention shifts now to the derailment-dameged area for this week, as they are now bustituting the Red Line Netween Columbia and Quincy Centre till 1AM 10/30/04, except this week's rush hours.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Reddy Rocker » Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:36 am

Actually, according to the sheets that were plastered on the red line cars, this service outage will only occur after 9:00pm till end of service with normal service resuming the following morning.

Unless they decided to change that...
Karl "Reddy Rocker" Speth, the one and only.
Reddy Rocker

Postby fm535 » Wed Oct 27, 2004 5:12 pm

Karl, you are right, thru Friday, they are doing exactly as you stated. I think the ALCS and the World Series postponed the initial weekend repair plan that was scheduled and posted in all the newspapers.

I work in Braintree, and I was in fear anticipating what the games were going to do to that commute over the weekends that they originally planned! If I work evenings, during the regular season, the Braintree platform is PACKED to capacity, with Sox-fans, trying to park in the Marketplace parkinglot, etc, and commuting into the city from there. I am glad that I am working the day shift this week, and get to ride the Reddys as usual!
fm535

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)