New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby number1tfan » Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:47 pm

I personaly cannot wait for the #5s to get here, but they are taking FOREVER to arrive. I heard one of Siemens' major supliers went out of buisness and that has caused some major delays. The cars were origanaly supposed to come in September 2005. Then they were delayed to April 2006, then summer 2006, and now October 2006. Half of the cars would be in service now if the cars arrived on time. I love the 18000 and the Type 8s (I know they derail) and i can't wait for these new cars. They will prabably be here in mid 2007 maybe even later. Come on, when will they get here.
Bring double deckers to the north side!
number1tfan

Postby GP40MC 1116 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:52 pm

Those look like a updated version of the Current Red Line 01800's Except their made by two different companies!
GP40MC 1116

Postby -Garrett » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:20 pm

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Those look like a updated version of the Current Red Line 01800's Except their made by two different companies!

I hate to bring it up, but the NEtransit website inventory page has been updated, and the delivery date has been pushed back again, to November (guess since it's October, and the first pair is not there yet).

I supposed next month they'll have to push it back again to December or January? I wonder what the hold up is.
-Garrett

Postby StevieC48 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:45 am

LOL Mabe if we are all good little Railfans mabe Santa will bring them to us for the Holidays LOL
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

"Next Fall" for the Blue Line cars

Postby BigRock » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:26 pm

From today's chat on Boston.com :

bps: Has there been any planning done on attempting to get the Red, Orange, and Blue lines using the same cars?

Daniel_Grabauskas: We are currently adding new cars to the Green Line as you may know. You can expect to see new Blue Line cars next fall. In fact we are getting 94 new Blue Line cars which will allow us to increase the size of the trains from 4 cars to 6 cars. Orange and Redline new cars are a number of years away at this point.
BigRock

Re: "Next Fall" for the Blue Line cars

Postby blink55184 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:44 pm

BigRock wrote:From today's chat on Boston.com :

bps: Has there been any planning done on attempting to get the Red, Orange, and Blue lines using the same cars?

Daniel_Grabauskas: We are currently adding new cars to the Green Line as you may know. You can expect to see new Blue Line cars next fall. In fact we are getting 94 new Blue Line cars which will allow us to increase the size of the trains from 4 cars to 6 cars. Orange and Redline new cars are a number of years away at this point.

Slightly off topic, but relevant to quote-

Saw what I think was a new Green Line train go thru Kenmore outboud towards BC this afternoon- car 3837.

Was running as a test train- It was VERY shiny and had different walls inside the car- There were tall walls from behind those single seats near the door, up towards the ceiling, and I think they had new ads on them.
blink55184

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:27 am

So looks like the 015/1600s on the Red Line will still take passengers till hopefully next decade even though they were made 1969/70, but the O line cars will be here till 2015 or 2018, since those are ten years newer (but the same age as the o600s), being built 1979-81.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA3247 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:05 pm

Nice how his answer has nothing to do with the question.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby -Garrett » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:06 pm

Why would anyone want to do that, and how would they be able to? The Blue line and orange line have tunnels that are too narrow for Red Line Cars, and the platforms for the blue line and orange line are different at heights. The orange line used to use trollies I believe, and the blue line was an old converted narrow gague. So you are talking about having to make the platforms on both lines the same height, and if you want the Red line cars to match, you would either have make the rights of way wider for the blue and orange line at certain points, or use narrower cars in the red line and build up the platforms.

Given how the T is already strapped for cash, none of the above seems to make economical sense.

Also, if you look at the design of the New Blue Line cars, they are very similar in appearance to the 1800's on the red line (but the size of the current blue line cars)

And none of those cars will ever run on the Green line, and as has been discussed already, a plan to use heavy rail on th green line has already long ago been visited and abandoned.

Anyway, this indeed has nothing to do with the (delayed) status of the newest blue line fleet
-Garrett

Postby mattster » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:16 pm

-Garrett wrote:

Why would anyone want to do that, and how would they be able to? The Blue line and orange line have tunnels that are too narrow for Red Line Cars, and the platforms for the blue line and orange line are different at heights. The orange line used to use trollies I believe, and the blue line was an old converted narrow gague. So you are talking about having to make the platforms on both lines the same height, and if you want the Red line cars to match, you would either have make the rights of way wider for the blue and orange line at certain points, or use narrower cars in the red line and build up the platforms.

Given how the T is already strapped for cash, none of the above seems to make economical sense.

Also, if you look at the design of the New Blue Line cars, they are very similar in appearance to the 1800's on the red line (but the size of the current blue line cars)

And none of those cars will ever run on the Green line, and as has been discussed already, a plan to use heavy rail on th green line has already long ago been visited and abandoned.

Anyway, this indeed has nothing to do with the (delayed) status of the newest blue line fleet

I was recently discussing this concept with someone because of the length of time it will be before we even see an order placed for new Orange Line cars. It would be nice to run equipment with the same parts and body designs, but at different size specifications obviously. It's also nice that each line has its own character. It's kind of said to see that the two sister lines will soon be running different equipment. Who knows what the Orange Line will get in the next 15 years.
mattster

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:18 pm

-Garrett wrote:
BigRock wrote:. The orange line used to use trollies I believe, and the blue line was an old converted narrow gague. t

I believe you have to two mixed up.
jamesinclair

Postby jwhite07 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:12 am

The orange line used to use trollies I believe, and the blue line was an old converted narrow gague.

Both scenarios refer to the Blue Line, actually. The East Boston Tunnel that the Blue Line uses was originally built as a streetcar subway, and on the surface the Blue Line was built on the right-of-way of the former Boston, Revere Beach and Lynn narrow gauge line.
jwhite07

Postby hynespb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:42 am

From today's globe....

T slams delays in Blue Line upgrade
Says train maker lags on delivery of 94 cars

By Mac Daniel, Globe Staff | November 29, 2006

The MBTA's plan to replace its aging Blue Line fleet is nearly three years behind schedule because of repeated delays and problems with the first of 94 new cars, including leaking doors and smoking air-conditioning systems.

Yesterday, the T's top official sent a fiery letter to the manufacturer, Siemens Transportation Systems, demanding a firm schedule for delivery of the new cars and threatening to freeze payments on the $174 million contract.

Siemens had been seeking an $8 million payment, saying it has reached another benchmark on the contract, even though it hasn't delivered four prototypes. The MBTA has paid $47 million to Siemens in the last five years.

"It appears to me that your company is far more interested in demanding money for work you have not performed, rather than completing the job," wrote Daniel A. Grabauskas, general manager of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The letter demanded that Siemens submit a revised schedule "that it unequivocally commits to achieving." Grabauskas also said the T's general counsel has started reviewing the contract and Siemens's "record of poor performance to determine what remedies are available to the MBTA."

Oliver Hauck, president and chief executive of Siemens, said the Blue Line project has been one of the most confounding in the company's history. The firm is based in Sacramento.

"We are both justifiably frustrated over the progress, and we will do whatever we can to finish this project as much on time as it is possible," he said in a telephone interview yesterday.

The 94 new Blue Line cars are slated to replace 70 existing cars that carry fewer passengers and subject them to a jarring ride. Some have leaking roofs. Most of the current cars were put into service in 1979 and 1980 and are among the oldest in the T system.

Expanding the Blue Line fleet would allow six-car trains that would ease overcrowding on the popular line. The new cars, renovations at several stations, and longer platforms to accommodate the six-car trains are part of a $750 million project to modernize the Blue Line, which carries 55,600 passengers on an average workday.

The T board approved purchase of the new cars in November 2001, with delivery of the first ones scheduled for January 2004. The T agreed to delay the date to September 2004 after a company making the cars' suspension system went out of business. Also, the upstate New York company that was starting to assemble the cars changed ownership twice during the contract, Hauck said.

"There were a number of events that were not foreseen by us, and we were not able to manage," he said. "Overall, it was a very challenging contract. We are just as unhappy as the MBTA."

Siemens wanted the Blue Line to be the cornerstone of its efforts to get other subway and rail contracts around the world.

The first four cars that Siemens will deliver in Boston are prototypes that will be tested by the T to spot defects before the rest are built.

Grabauskas said he met with Siemens officials in March and was assured of the "timely delivery of the cars." But in August, he said, Siemens changed the delivery schedule again, saying the first pair of prototype cars would be shipped in October, followed by another in November and the last in December. In October, however, Siemens revised the schedule again, for delivery of the four prototypes early next year.

T officials say they have had no choice but to go along with the delays so far.

The price of cars has remained unchanged at $174 million. With engineering, spare parts, and other services, the T estimates the total price tag to replace the Blue Line cars at $200 million.

The dispute between the T and Siemens is similar to a quarrel with another company over new trolleys for the Green Line.

The MBTA ordered 100 Breda trolleys from an Italian manufacturer in 1995, but problems emerged. After paying about $143 million of the $222 million contract, T officials halted payments in 2004 and refused to take delivery of 53 vehicles not received by then. The T finally worked out a new deal on the Breda cars in December 2005, and they are being put into service on the Green Line by January. By yesterday, 70 of 85 Breda cars had been delivered.

The standoff with Siemens is worse, Grabauskas said. "It has been perhaps the most frustrating procurement that we've engaged in a long time," he said in an interview yesterday. "This makes the Breda car fiasco look like -- " He trailed off.

"I guess the thing that upsets me most on this is that we are spending more than $200 million on this . . . and with a procurement of this size, you'd think people would be taking this seriously," Grabauskas said. "I've been yesed to death, and I'm sick of it. This is a major multinational company, and they can't seem to deliver on something as simple as a rail car."

T officials are considering waiving a host of problems with the prototypes, discovered by Siemens during early testing, just to get them delivered so the T can begin its own trial runs.

Both front and side doors in the prototype cars leaked during water-tightness tests. The seams of floor coverings didn't meet smoothly and had to be whittled down with knives, T officials said.

"It looked like a kid had done this," Grabauskas said. "This is the equivalent of having linoleum installed in your kitchen, and they can't even do that. . . . The word, in plain English, is sloppiness."

Several Blue Line passengers interviewed yesterday said they can't wait for more modern cars on a line that serves some of the poorest communities in Boston and on the North Shore.

"It's not as updated as the other ones," said 20-year-old Arielle Zair, a sophomore at the Art Institute of Boston. "The Orange Line's a little bit worse to me, but [the Blue Line] deserves new trains."

Christian Marcus, 20, of the West End agreed. "It's been like this for 10 years," he said. "If it's for people that are unfortunate, and it's public, they just leave it the way it is."

April Simpson of the Globe staff contributed to this report. Mac Daniel can be reached at mdaniel@globe.com
hynespb

Postby stevefoley » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:32 am

hynespb wrote:From today's globe....

Perhaps the T might learn something about buying off the shelf proven subway car designs from builders that make 1000's of these every year.
A lot of this nonsense is the fault of the T, and how it chose the supplier and design in the first place. Plenty of other subway systems around the world DON'T have the problems the T keeps having.
stevefoley

Postby octr202 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:42 am

stevefoley wrote:
hynespb wrote:From today's globe....

Perhaps the T might learn something about buying off the shelf proven subway car designs from builders that make 1000's of these every year.
A lot of this nonsense is the fault of the T, and how it chose the supplier and design in the first place. Plenty of other subway systems around the world DON'T have the problems the T keeps having.

I'm not sure there really is such a thing anymore, unless you're able to buyt he same car that NYC MTA gets.

And the Blue Line is a special creature requiring a non-standard design anyways.

I'm surprised somewhat that Siemens is having so much trouble. They've got a pretty good record in the light rail sector both in North America and Europe.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)