New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Postby diburning » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Every car must have a "shakedown run" of 100 miles before it can enter revenue service (I remember reading it in a MBTA press release in the Boston Metro a while back when they first ordered the cars)
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:16 am

ALL the 0700s are now in service for the first time!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Robert Paniagua » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:46 am

Oh Good, about time! Hopefully no colission will occur with these new cars, they'll need to be inspected thoroughly before they roll out for the day's service
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby StevieC48 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:42 pm

You know Robert in the years since I have been around the only incidents with any Blue Line train with either a derailment ,hitting the bumper post or 3rd rail or pantograph problems, but no rear-end or head on collisions come to mind. Anyone remember any?
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

Postby sery2831 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:20 pm

At least two in my time. On really bad one in the fog inbound by Orient Heights where one train rear ended another causing major damage. I have photos somewhere of the aftermath.
sery2831

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:21 pm

sery2831 wrote:At least two in my time. On really bad one in the fog inbound by Orient Heights where one train rear ended another causing major damage. I have photos somewhere of the aftermath.

There have been a few. I think that the one that you mention, John, was about 22 years ago to the date during evening rush hour service, December 30, 1987. The cold weather had disabled the signal system and operators were using radio verbal orders. Operator Martha DeSpirito reportedly went ahead without a verbal order at a higher rate of speed than she was authorized to be travelling at, and rammed a stopped train ahead loaded with passengers. Sixteen were hurt.

A quick check showed an interesting one back in the days of trolleys in the East Boston Tunnel on March 5, 1907 at 6:00 PM. A motorman named Corsick sued BERy for what amounted to failing to supply him with sufficient tools to stop his trolley, following injuries that he sustained when the car that he was operating, a Laconia No. 447 26-1/2' car, rammed what I believe was No. 5041, a Brill Type 2 that was standing at Atlantic Ave. Station (Aquarium), when 447 lost it's brakes. (I don't think that he was texting at the time.)

Also, at Court St. Station, at least two motormen were crushed to death while changing ends that I know of, by cars that were entering the station at the same time. Their deaths happened during dropping safety fenders for the outbound trips. A primitive blue light signalled cars entry back then which was often either not visible or not lit, and (according to Mr. Corsick) the brakes on the old cars were not very efficient.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby ftran999 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:24 pm

sery2831 wrote:At least two in my time. On really bad one in the fog inbound by Orient Heights where one train rear ended another causing major damage. I have photos somewhere of the aftermath.

I remember a while ago (late 80s/early 90s) listening to my scanner when Revere Fire was dispatched to Beachmont station for a report of a train collsision. IIRC either it turned out to be a false alarm or there was a collision but no injuries.
ftran999

Postby CRail » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:57 pm

This is not a blue line collision thread.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Different blue line announcements?

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:23 pm

I came across this video and am confused.

Is this a joke or something? Or just a glitch? Where's Frank's voice? And why does it keep saying the destination of the train is Bowdoin...I thought the T didn't want the trains to announce that because there are only two destinations (unlike the Green/Red lines).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOw_DWPGqpM
CircusFreakGRITZ

Re: Different blue line announcements?

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 am

Don't know what's up with the voice on that car, but they do indeed repeat the destination.
BostonUrbEx

Re: Different blue line announcements?

Postby MBTA3247 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:31 am

I would guess there's a glitch in the ASA that's changing the speed of the announcements, hence Frank getting a new accent.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby FP10 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:59 pm

I think this is when the trains first came into service. I remember riding that summer and they hadn't yet recorded the new announcements, the trains also would NOT shut up. Both aspects have gotten marginally better (although the blue line is still too talkey for my liking, why "The doors will open on the xxxx side of the train" instead of "doors will open on the xxx". Ahh well...

This video of frank is also pretty funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk7z2kiHAKY&feature=related
"even a money tree would draw opposition in Boston "
FP10

Postby MBTA1052 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:19 pm

Now that's my kind of person, now the voice matches the person very well for Red Line and MBTA Buses!!! :-D
I love the smell of Diesel Fuel in the Morning!! ;)
MBTA1052

Postby diburning » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Actually, are you sure that's a new voice? It sounds like the original ASA that was put in by Siemens that sounded like a game show host on crack :wink: (I can't find that video, but I believe that John had a link to a video of that version of the ASA during a test run)

The Frank 1.0* ASA is shown in the vids in my signature. It was the one used on the inaugural run (the video is from the inaugural set, on it's third run of the day). It has since been modified (the door chime is hooked into the ASA and in version 1.0, the door chime did not interrupt the announcements so the door chime sounded after the doors were closed and the train was halfway to the next station!)

*Note: Frank 1.0 is something I made up to designate it as a "first" version. It is not the official name of the version
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 am

The original ASA recordings never entered service. I will have to locate the video of the original ASA for you guys.
sery2831

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)