New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Has anyone else noticed that on some cars the announcers voice is different. I just road 713 and it was the same voice that is used on the CTA. There was also a bug in the system. At each stop the train would announce it was going express to the next stop. lol
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby mattl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:15 pm

Maverick's renovation seems to be done. I was over there just a few moments ago, and the new entrance in Maverick Square itself looks to be finally open.
Oh, I bet you read a lot of Gordon Wood, huh? You read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook, and you think you're awesome doing that and how 'bout them apples and all that Gordon Wood business?
mattl

Postby ftran999 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:49 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:Has anyone else noticed that on some cars the announcers voice is different. I just road 713 and it was the same voice that is used on the CTA. There was also a bug in the system. At each stop the train would announce it was going express to the next stop. lol

I just returned to work today from vacation and your right the voice is different. I also noticed the same bug also. I don't know the number of the train I was on so I'm not sure if it was the 713. One of the most amusing bugs I recall was one morning on a train destined for Bowdoin it was announcing stops that were two ahead of the actual upcoming stop. The train was then stopped for a while in the tunnel between Maverick and Airport because of signal problems or something. It keep announcing on stop after the other. It seemed liked we went around the entire Blue Line 2 or 3 times without even moving.
ftran999

Postby Disney Guy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:54 am

StevieC48 wrote:0714/15 Were the sacrifical "lamb's" for parts. They had insufficent parts to keep other sets going so those cars were used for parts. Not sure when they will return to service, if this year at all. They are still out sitting in the yard with the work cars.

The T already made that mistake, not buying a big enough stock of spare parts. (Back in the 1970's with the Boeing LRV's many of which were cannibalized to keep the rest running.)
(To the theater stage manager) Quit twiddling the knob and flickering the lights while the audience is entering and being seated. (To the subway motorman) Quit twiddling the knob and dinging the doors while passengers are getting off and others are waiting to board.
Disney Guy

Postby AutisticPsycho » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:04 pm

ftran999 wrote:I just returned to work today from vacation and your right the voice is different. I also noticed the same bug also. I don't know the number of the train I was on so I'm not sure if it was the 713. One of the most amusing bugs I recall was one morning on a train destined for Bowdoin it was announcing stops that were two ahead of the actual upcoming stop. The train was then stopped for a while in the tunnel between Maverick and Airport because of signal problems or something. It keep announcing on stop after the other. It seemed liked we went around the entire Blue Line 2 or 3 times without even moving.

Here's a video of the new voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOw_DWPGqpM

With my observations and a bug in action.
Blue Line to Lynn: Transit discrimination at it's finest.
AutisticPsycho

Postby sery2831 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Before the cars entered service the ASA voice was different than when the cars entered service. I have a video clip somewhere of the ASA before the cars were introduced, I will try to dig it out and see if this the old factory ASA and not something new.
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:31 am

AutisticPsycho wrote:
Here's a video of the new voice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOw_DWPGqpM

With my observations and a bug in action.

Yes this was the voice from car 713. If you have ever rode the CTA in Chicago you will notice the voice is very similar.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby sery2831 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:27 am

I posted a video of the original ASA that was in the initial cars during testing back in the summer of 2007! Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mziKiAsIzo

I can't tell if it is the same as what is being used on 0713?
sery2831

Postby Arborway » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:15 pm

It sounds like a bad game show host.
Arborway

Postby AutisticPsycho » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:21 am

I should note... maybe I'm wrong, but I could have sworn that the car # my video is taken in was 748...
Blue Line to Lynn: Transit discrimination at it's finest.
AutisticPsycho

Postby diburning » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:57 pm

John, that does sound like the same voice. I like Frank's voice better.
diburning

Postby sery2831 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Well if it is the same voice then the cars having this voice is the original ASA program and must have been missed when they put the cars in service. So that settles it, it is not a new test voice!
sery2831

Postby diburning » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:15 pm

either that or they were trying somethin fancy and had to revert the software or had to do a clean install or something and didn't put Frank's voice back in.

I did notice that they were experimenting with the ASA in some cars as Frank 1.0 (on the inaugural run) had the doors close, but the door chime would not sound until the ASA was finished speaking. On some of the later delivered cars, they changed it so that the door closing and the door chime would interrupt what the ASA was saying.

In one of my videos (in my signature), there was this one stop where the ASA kept blabbing and the door chime did not sound until halfway to the next station!
diburning

Postby ftran999 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:00 pm

I was on the 742 car one morning earlier this week and it had the different voice. Also I had noticed what I've never noticed before was that the destination was being announced. "The destination of this train is <pause> Bowdoin."
ftran999

Postby StevieC48 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:55 am

I noticed that they are adding the car # on the front window opp the operator, which will make it easier for the officials to see the car #.
Farewell old friend thanks for the memories.
#4 EBT cars Hawker Siddley 1978-2009

Instructor/Inspector SERY
Member 25 years proud
StevieC48

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)