New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: New Blue Line Cars Discussion(Now in Service)

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:01 am

vivelasondas wrote:Also, I noticed something different in this version. All messages unrelated to "Next stop," "Entering," or "This stop," are flashed once. It simply flashes it one line at a time on the LED screen, like "PLEASE RESPECT" -> "PRIORITY SEATS". The door opening message simply flashes "DOORS OPEN RIGHT" or "DOORS OPEN LEFT". I hope this version sticks! Tell them to keep it!

Do you mean the LED flashes the message once and then goes blank, like on the red line?

Thats horrible, I prefer the green line style of having the message constantly displayed
jamesinclair

Postby vivelasondas » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:32 am

jamesinclair wrote:
vivelasondas wrote:Also, I noticed something different in this version. All messages unrelated to "Next stop," "Entering," or "This stop," are flashed once. It simply flashes it one line at a time on the LED screen, like "PLEASE RESPECT" -> "PRIORITY SEATS". The door opening message simply flashes "DOORS OPEN RIGHT" or "DOORS OPEN LEFT". I hope this version sticks! Tell them to keep it!

Do you mean the LED flashes the message once and then goes blank, like on the red line?

Thats horrible, I prefer the green line style of having the message constantly displayed

That can be answered as a "yes" and a "no." The "DOORS OPEN XXXXX" message flashes once, sometimes does a courtesy message, like "DON'T FORGET" -> "YOUR BELONGINGS", then scrolls back to "ENTERING XXXXXXXX". However, when the doors close, the screen goes blank. It can be a bit stupid, especially since there's no outbound announcement for "NEXT STOP, MAVERICK". Everything else scrolls like the previous version.
vivelasondas

Postby jamesinclair » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:28 pm

That makes a bit more sense.

But still, why reinvent the wheel? The green line ADA is perfect, they should have used that and just made the station signs different. Airport could be the no smoking station.
jamesinclair

Postby vivelasondas » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:21 am

jamesinclair wrote:That makes a bit more sense.

But still, why reinvent the wheel? The green line ADA is perfect, they should have used that and just made the station signs different. Airport could be the no smoking station.

Good point, but I think that the T wanted the courtesy messages anyway. With the amount of ridership the Blue Line gets at rush hour, it's necessary to tell people about priority seating. I see older riders forced to stand all the time because of girls in their 20s yakking on their phones throughout the entire surface duration of the ride.
vivelasondas

Postby vivelasondas » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:33 pm

While taking the train home from school today, I noticed that 0714 and 0715 were coupled to my set of cars. I guess the management decided to trash the old (better) system and go with the default system. It's too bad; it should've stayed.
vivelasondas

Postby ftran999 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:58 pm

Yesterday I was on the train with the alternative ASA (car 714). However, there was a bug in the system. At each stop it kept announcing the train would run express to the station where it was stopped at.
ftran999

New ASA

Postby vivelasondas » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:12 pm

I actually have some good news: those trains still have the different ASA system.
ftran999 wrote:Yesterday I was on the train with the alternative ASA (car 714). However, there was a bug in the system. At each stop it kept announcing the train would run express to the station where it was stopped at.

However, as you said, they announce that they will run express to the current stop, unless they're in the first car of the set. If they're the head car, then it'll work as it should, but all trains behind them that don't have that version installed won't function properly. I was fortunate enough to get what I thought was the same car going both Boston-bound and Revere-bound, so I happened to get a video of the one going to Boston. I sent the clip in to the new Blue Line chief, hoping she'll like it and install it on the rest of the fleet. Below is the trip from Revere a few nights ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO_8I3B_wzs
vivelasondas

Postby sery2831 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:48 pm

Here is the as delivered never used ASA voice: http://www.youtube.com/user/john79ma#p/u/10/5mziKiAsIzo
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby sery2831 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:37 am

NETransit reports:
(0774/0775 held out, awaiting parts)

Not a good sign!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby orange1234 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 am

Does anyone know why the 0700s sound a "ding-dong" chime before every announcement? That chime existed in the 0600s to let the passengers know when the train operator was coming on the intercom. It's unnecessary with an automated PA system and, quite frankly, it's annoying.
orange1234

Postby deathtopumpkins » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:23 am

I actually wish more cars did that. I like it. It gives you a second to take out headphones, pause music, stop talking, etc., so you don't miss the first part of the announcement. It grabs your attention.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby octr202 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:56 am

But with the frequency of announcements on the 0700's, you'd be doing that about every 20-40 seconds. Doesn't it lose it's effect then?
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)