Cape Cod Rail ongoing Activism

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Cape Cod Rail ongoing Activism

Postby atlantis » Thu May 06, 2004 3:28 pm

Hello,

I thought I might provide some info and pointers for those folks who want to communicate with the state in requesting the return of Cape Cod rail service.
Here is the Governor's Office e-mail: GOffice@state.ma.us

Our nascent Cape Cod Passenger Rail Coalition is still trying to get more members on board (no pun intended!) but in the meantime, here are some "tactical moves" you can make:

Write or e-mail your local reps, senators, Governor Romney,etc.
Even though some of the state officials may or may not be for rail service, it's important that you let your views known, as our elected officials must follow the will of the people.

Avoid hostility or anger in your communications. (easier said than done, but this restraint WILL make a difference.)
Instead, explain why you would think that rail service would be good for the Cape. explain that the service in the 1980's attracted many riders if you need a precedent.

Fight for the initial battle first. (initial rail service from Middleboro to Buzzards Bay, and then across the canal.) Don't worry about other branch lines until rail service starts to the region first. It's better to fight the initial "fire" first, then worry about the "brush fires". The Falmouth line is "rail banked" for future use so even if, heaven forbid, it becomes a bike path, it can be restored for rail use, as long as enough people speak up for it. (there is a silent majority here who refuse to speak up for whatever reason) This is where YOU are important.

Explain the benefits of rail service,and how it can complement other modes, be good for the environment, and how it would be an additional choice for travelers.

Above all, BE POLITE to your elected officials and stand your ground.

Remember: "The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

good luck and fight on!!
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Postby NIMBYkiller » Thu May 06, 2004 8:48 pm

This service is deffinately a no brainer. I'll fight for this whenever I have the chance. Good luck you guys!
NIMBYkiller

Postby atlantis » Sun May 09, 2004 11:12 am

Hi Nimby!

There's going to be a meeting at the Upper Cape Regional Vocational Technical School in Bourne on May 19 at 8:pm. this meeting, sponsored by the Bourne Chamber of Commerce will explore the possibility of extending the MBTA commuter rail from Middleboro to Buzzards Bay.

Although Buzzards Bay is just shy of the Cape. This incremental extension could be a "shoo-in" for the Cape itself. If you can be there, that will be a good thing as one official who will be there is the anti-rail state Senator Therese Murray (D-Plymouth)
It's important that Senator Murray hears all views especially the pro-rail views. Let her know that passenger rail would be a good thing for the Cape and that as the Cape had it before, it will not be some awful alien entity that the anti-rail crowd would have one believe it to be
If Boston to Cape Cod rail service occurs in 2012 I will eat a jelly doughnut dipped in tomato sauce.
atlantis

Postby BenH » Mon May 17, 2004 7:42 am

From today's Cape Cod Times, May 17, 2004
http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/politicalnotes.htm

RAILROAD ADVOCATES TO MEET IN BOURNE
Political Notes column

By JACK COLEMAN
STAFF WRITER
Restoring rail service in Buzzards Bay and Wareham will be the main topic at a forum Wednesday morning sponsored by the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce.

Included in the discussion will be John Kennedy, chairman and CEO of CapeLight Corp., executive vice president of the Charles River Railroad Corp. and former president of the Cape Cod Central Railroad Co.; former state Rep. Thomas Cahir, assistant secretary in the state Executive Office of Transportation and Construction; Maeve Vallely-Bartlett, rail supervisor with the Executive Office of Transportation and Construction; Cindy Chamberlain, chairwoman of the Wareham selectmen; Wareham Deputy Town Moderator Margaret Ishihara, the town's representative to the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Agency; Brewster Fire Chief Roy E. Jones, chairman of the Cape Cod Regional Transportation Authority's railroad subcommittee; and Jim Howe, chairman of the Buzzards Bay Village Association's transportation committee.

Moderating the discussion will be Robert Parady, chairman of the Bourne Committee civic group. A question and answer period will follow the panel discussion.

The event will be from 8 to 9:30 a.m. at Upper Cape Cod Regional Technical School, 220 Sandwich Road, Bourne.

Those planning to attend should RSVP to Canalreg@capecodcanalchamber.org
or call the chamber at 508-759-6000, ext. 10.
Last edited by BenH on Mon May 17, 2004 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
BenH

Postby BenH » Mon May 17, 2004 10:34 am

I just double-checked the start time for this meeting - since there are conflicting times (at the moment) on this board.

Someone in the Cape Cod Canal Region Chamber of Commerce Business Office just sent me an e-mail confirming the start time of

- 8:00 AM in the morning -

for this meeting.
BenH

Postby NIMBYkiller » Tue May 18, 2004 10:16 am

I wish I could be a more active member of this project, but I really live on LI. However, like I said, should the opportunity present itself, I will fight for Cape Cod rail service.
NIMBYkiller

Postby trainhq » Mon May 24, 2004 11:41 am

Another interesting article in the Cape Cod Times this Sunday. Apparently,
they ran the train across the rehabbed Canal bridge to Buzzards Bay for
the first time in three years this week. The article discussed the possibility
of private service to Middleborough. If they could run it on summer weekends, I'll bet they could fill it; they might even make some money
off it. Don't even think about getting the T to do anything down there;
won't happen before 2015 at the earliest, in my opinion.
trainhq

Postby NIMBYkiller » Mon May 24, 2004 2:52 pm

I thought the trash train was once a week.
NIMBYkiller

Postby trainhq » Tue May 25, 2004 8:31 am

No, I meant the Cape Cod Central Passenger train.
It stopped in Buzzards Bay.
trainhq

Postby BenH » Wed May 26, 2004 10:54 pm

Here's are two recent articles related to passenger rail service on Cape Cod:

http://www.townonline.com/bourne/news/l ... 262004.htm

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/touristtrain23.htm
BenH

Postby BenH » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:10 pm

From the Cape Cod Times
August 10, 2004
"Cape rail advocates seek study"
"Groups ask state to consider train between
canal region and Middleborough"

http://www.capecodonline.com/cctimes/caperail10.htm

Nice to see -some- movement on this project.
BenH

Postby Xplorer2000 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:42 pm

Kinda a heads up guys.... you DO know that the State, under Das Mitt, authorized money to tear out the ROW and turn it into another Yuppified Bike Path back in the spring??? This was part of something they worked out with the town of Brewster last year( it was in RailPace, IIRC...) ... essentially ,they'd give the town a 99 year lease for the ROW for a song, so long as the tracks went away, permanently. So if you guys want service, you'd better look into this.....Our Governor will do anything, it seems , to keep there from being more Train service.
Xplorer2000

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:54 pm

but i thought he was for Railroads?
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Xplorer2000 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:29 pm

Lately, he's been going whichever way the wind blows....He's mostly pro-Highway....witness the flyover for the Cape Bridges, and he came out in favor of widening Rte.24 ,even though that would involve encroaching on the "environmentally sensitive" Hockamock Swamp, which is the Fall River / New Bedford line opponents big rallying point for opposing the return of the rail line over that routing.
Xplorer2000

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:37 pm

The tracks were turned into a rail trail in Brewster decades ago.
Ron Newman

Next

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)