Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby octr202 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:25 pm

Those are the exact same boards that were installed in North Station a couple months ago. They're still not doing anything over there, either.
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby bierhere » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:37 pm

I'm guessing the train board will be like those useless information kiosks that sat in plastic for 9 months in South Station.
bierhere

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:46 pm

just give it some time and they will be up and running. A lot goes into these things and you can't expect them to be up and running once they are put up.....in time they will be working
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby jgeary27 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:28 pm

Well, I just saw the North Station departures board for the first time, and I gotta say I'm disappointed. Does anyone know if it's the same equipment going in at South Station?

I'm not particularly nostalgic for the mechanical signs (although I do like the fwip-fwip-fwip sound), but the new stuff at North Station is just ugly. The old signs have a little elegance to them that the blaring orange LED lights don't. They look like they should be on the side of a highway telling me ROAD WORK BEGINS TUESDAY EXPECT DELAYS.

I would have preferred the new stuff they have at GCT, NYP, Chicago and other places. They have the same sort of font and backlit look as the old signs and are way classier than what the T seems to have bought.

See here for an example of what I'm talking about.
jgeary27

Postby savebowdoin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:00 pm

jgeary27 wrote:I would have preferred the new stuff they have at GCT, NYP, Chicago and other places. They have the same sort of font and backlit look as the old signs and are way classier than what the T seems to have bought.

See here for an example of what I'm talking about.

I very much agree. the new signs are nice in their abilities, but I think ones like those in use at GCT in New York would be much more "classy" and less sterile.

But, I do like the trackside train & station listing signs, that idea mirrors those used at GCT, among other places.

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby bierhere » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:58 am

They are moving faster than I personally expected. This week, bracing, wiring conduit, and even some wiring of the signs on the tracks have taken place.

I noticed there are no signs over by Tracks 1/2 where the old TV monitor sits. Are they planning something different over there?
bierhere

Postby dbperry » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:43 pm

bierhere wrote:I noticed there are no signs over by Tracks 1/2 where the old TV monitor sits. Are they planning something different over there?

I really hope they put in a directory of ALL tracks, so that when you come off of Atlantic Ave without going 'indoors' you can see where your train is without having to go from track to track looking for your train.

Those TV monitors are horrible - even if you are 18" from the monitor they are hardly legible.

Dave
dbperry

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:07 pm

Heres what they put in at Back Bay

Over information

Old and new

Classic T signage
jamesinclair

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:58 pm

Oh, they are also revamping BBY? I guess they will also need to renovate that station itself too, it's falling apart. I like those new LED signs. Maybe Ruggles will get some too.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby danib62 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:09 pm

I wonder how those BBY signs will be used. Will they show the next 3 trains leaving from the tracks they are posted at? If that is the case then they will need a central board that lists all the trains for all the tracks.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Will they show inbound trains to South Station, as well as outbound trains?
Ron Newman

Postby sery2831 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:49 pm

I hope they show more than 3 trains at a time at Back Bay! That could be messy at rush hour, especially when things are delayed!
Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby acela 2036 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:33 am

sery2831 wrote:I hope they show more than 3 trains at a time at Back Bay! That could be messy at rush hour, especially when things are delayed!

Since when were they going to replace the boards at Back Bay? I was just there on Sunday and I did not see one board there! :P
acela 2036

Postby dbperry » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:22 pm

I asked about the South Station project tonight at the "MBCR Talk to a Manager" night.....they said the schedule is end of May to have everything running at South Station.

Only things I learned....(forgive me if they have already been reported on this thread):

1) The two separate Amtrak / MBTA Solari boards will be combined into one common central display; and
2) They are planning on something that will list all trains near the 'outside' entrances from Atlantic Ave and Summer St (so you don't have to hunt track to track or go inside if you bypass the indoor part of the station); and
3) Audio track announcements will be an automated recording type (rather than a live person) [I stated my displeasure with this idea].

Dave
dbperry

Postby Fred Rabin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:46 pm

Does that mean we have to endure those stupid announcements like they have in Providence about not boarding the train until it arrives into [sic] the station? :wink:
Fred R
Fred Rabin

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)