Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Postby caduceus » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:22 pm

rob2507 wrote:Story in today's Globe: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... g_on_ebay/
In summary, they couldn't find a buyer for the South Station board, so they said 'let's put it on ebay and see what we can get!'

The auction on ebay (no bids yet): http://tinyurl.com/SouthStationBoard

WHDH just had a segment on it...but it doesn't seem to be up for auction. It is listed as $500, and "Contact the seller". Other than the pictures, and that you must pick it up at South Station, there is nothing to indicate that this is the MBTA legitimately selling it either...
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby BW » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:01 am

Well, since I was intimately involved with the sign upgrade project (like it or not), I can tell you the seller on eBay is legitimate - it is the project manager.

Seems like some benefactor should consider buying the sign for one of the wonderful rail museums in the region........

And, without making ANY commitments, there is a possibility that, if the board and it's components are moved without being damaged, there may even be some people from my department willing to try to set it up in it's new home......
BW
BW

Postby caduceus » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 pm

BW wrote:Well, since I was intimately involved with the sign upgrade project (like it or not), I can tell you the seller on eBay is legitimate - it is the project manager.

I figured with all the press it seemed to be getting it was legit, I was just pointing out that from the ebay page alone, I would have questioned its legitimacy.
caduceus

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:13 am

BW wrote:Well, since I was intimately involved with the sign upgrade project (like it or not), I can tell you the seller on eBay is legitimate - it is the project manager.

Seems like some benefactor should consider buying the sign for one of the wonderful rail museums in the region........

And, without making ANY commitments, there is a possibility that, if the board and it's components are moved without being damaged, there may even be some people from my department willing to try to set it up in it's new home......

Could you answer why the North Station boards turned out so badly?

The damn things dont even list train times!
jamesinclair

Postby BW » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:45 am

jamesinclair wrote:
Could you answer why the North Station boards turned out so badly?

The damn things dont even list train times!

James,

Elaborate some - how, in your opinion, did the signs turn out badly? I'm not challenging your statement - just curious to hear your input.

A contractor installed it, not my group, although we have observed some of the installation. I'm not sure the entire project has been accepted yet. I don't know who inputs the information for the signs - whether it's input at North Station or centrally for all three stations from South Station (although I do know that at least North Station has the capibility to update the signs locally).
BW
BW

Postby danib62 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:08 am

I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby BW » Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:27 am

danib62 wrote:I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the MBTA sets the specifications with the contractor, apparently without asking any of the people who use the station (passengers) or operate the systems for any suggestions or other input. Once accepted by the MBTA, we maintain the systems. I know I have observed that the LED modules in the 'pseudo Solari' boards at both stations aren't consistant color-wise, and that the voice synthesis is still lacking. Haven't observed the content displayed on the North Station entryway signs, though.
BW
BW

Postby jamesinclair » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:36 pm

BW wrote:
danib62 wrote:I think his critique is of the signs that are in the entryways to north station. They don't list what time the trains are scheduled to leave. My critique is of the signs at back bay which don't list the train's destinations.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the MBTA sets the specifications with the contractor, apparently without asking any of the people who use the station (passengers) or operate the systems for any suggestions or other input. Once accepted by the MBTA, we maintain the systems. I know I have observed that the LED modules in the 'pseudo Solari' boards at both stations aren't consistant color-wise, and that the voice synthesis is still lacking. Haven't observed the content displayed on the North Station entryway signs, though.

Yeah, my mistake, I meant the Back bay signs.

From memory, they list Train Number, Destination, Track Number and current time....but not the time in which the train is scheduled to arrive!

Furthermore, each sign only lists 3 trains. So the one over track 2 lists the next three trains on the track, while the signs over the ticket booths list random trains.

Track 2 sign:
XXXX South Station Track 2

Thats it! How is that information?

Heres a picture before it went live
jamesinclair

Postby BW » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:31 am

Thanks, James and Dan for the input. I remember that cardboard "Track 2" sign at Back Bay - very professional :-).

I assume the original philosophy was to put arrival time in the 'status' area, not just 'on time' or 'delayed' (which isn't even being put there, I assume). I don't know if there might be a disconnect with the entity that updates the info that should be put on the signs.

From my perspective, when we need to service one of those signs, the face swings DOWN, making it necessary for the sevicing tech to lean OVER the sign face from a 6 foot step ladder to service components mounted on the wall mounted portion of the sign. This gets especially dangerous down on the platforms where some of the signs face opposite tracks. One sign was mounted so the tech is FOULING THE TRACK while he services it. Can you imagine having to get form D time to service a sign?
BW
BW

Postby travelrobb » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:14 pm

The auction is back up on ebay and listed here. With 16 hours and change to go, it's still stuck at $500.
travelrobb

Postby 3rdrail » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:52 pm

It's the size and weight that's the problem. Not to mention that caveat at the end about being responsible for damage to South Station upon it's removal. I wish that it was one of the old track number signs. I'd be there at the crack of dawn.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby dbperry » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:03 pm

travelrobb wrote:The auction is back up on ebay and listed here. With 16 hours and change to go, it's still stuck at $500.

Somebody won it for $560!
dbperry

Postby jscola30 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:08 pm

I hope they read this:
The winning bidder must remove the sign from South Station the day that it is taken out of service and removed from its connections. The bidder is responsible for all costs for transporting the sign and damages caused when removing the sign from South Station when taking possession.
jscola30

Postby danib62 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:14 pm

jscola30 wrote:I hope they read this:
The winning bidder must remove the sign from South Station the day that it is taken out of service and removed from its connections. The bidder is responsible for all costs for transporting the sign and damages caused when removing the sign from South Station when taking possession.

I think they mean damages to the sign, not to south station.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby diburning » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:54 pm

danib62 wrote:
jscola30 wrote:I hope they read this:

I think they mean damages to the sign, not to south station.

Or both
diburning

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)