Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Solari board replacement at South Station and Back Bay

Postby AznSumtinSumtin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:31 pm

It's not broken; just "out of service." :wink:
AznSumtinSumtin

Postby savebowdoin » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:05 pm

"Temporarily Out of Service" more accurately. :-D
savebowdoin

Postby Veristek » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:29 pm

savebowdoin wrote:"Temporarily Out of Service" more accurately. :-D

"Temporarily Out of Service for the next three years until the MBTA scrounges enough money to buy a new Solari replacement" might be more like it. (chuckle)
Veristek

Postby trainhq » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Yeah, I kind of like the old flapping boards too. It seems kind of weird when you're in North Station and
the digital board changes, and they play a recorded flip-flip-flip-flip-flip to get people to look up. It's kind of
like the canned bird chirping they play for televised golf tournaments.
trainhq

Postby shadyjay » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:06 pm

One good thing about the boards I imagine is that you can put in any destination you want, and are not limited to what's on the panels.
Case in point... Westerly, for the roundtrip that ran Westerly-BOS last week during the Thames River Bridge outage. I doubt that one was on the old solari Amtrak side.
shadyjay

Postby danib62 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:22 pm

So I was at Back Bay this morning to catch a train to DC and in my opinion the new boards are heinous. They are terribly designed. Showing only 3 trains is way too few and whatever idiot designed them didn't even put on a spot to display the departure time of the trains listed. The best part was that the old monitors were still on today but they were displaying a weekday schedule so the two sets of info didn't match. This confused quite a few people.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Postby jamesinclair » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:47 am

Someone asked about these earlier. Did they ever work? Do they work? The information for track 13 seems a little bit accurate, but it might be a coincidence. Id never really noticed them before. I want one for my room.

Someone also posted a picture of a new machine with an error. Looks like a software problem, not hardware. I dont like how they put the track 13 display near track 13 - which is far away from everything else.

jamesinclair

Postby diburning » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:45 am

jamesinclair wrote:I dont like how they put the track 13 display near track 13 - which is far away from everything else.

Well, putting a sign near it's coresponding track seems to make perfect sense to me :-D
diburning

Postby savebowdoin » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:26 pm

The trackside signs are meant more as a confirmation as to the destination of the boarding train, rather than the original source of track information. Riders looking to see what track their train is on will look at the big boards in the station, then proceed to their track. In this case, even though Track 13 is set so far back from the rest, having the track information at the actual start of the track makes sense and stays consistent with everything else.
savebowdoin

Postby ags » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:09 am

Are they ever going to put in a board between Track 1 and Track 2 so people coming in off of Atlantic Avenue don't have to walk through to Track 4 to see the destination, especially when a train on track 3 means one has to walk all the way in front of the board (because of bad angling)?
ags

Postby dbperry » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:47 pm

ags wrote:Are they ever going to put in a board between Track 1 and Track 2 so people coming in off of Atlantic Avenue don't have to walk through to Track 4 to see the destination, especially when a train on track 3 means one has to walk all the way in front of the board (because of bad angling)?

Amen! I second the motion! The lack of this board between track 1 and 2, plus the low height of the boards between all of the other tracks, makes me very disappointed with this project. It could have, and should have, been a much better final product.

Ideally, how about a board suspended from the ceiling way out in front of track 1, angled out towards Atlantic Ave? You could see that board all the way from the sidewalk (or at least the stairs).

Dave
dbperry

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:47 pm

is the old board going to be removed or are they going to continue to use it? seems kinda crazy to have these 3 boards all active
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby hi55us » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:07 pm

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:is the old board going to be removed or are they going to continue to use it? seems kinda crazy to have these 3 boards all active

I agree remove the new digital one's & keep the old ones!
hi55us

Postby Veristek » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:39 pm

I've noticed quite a few issues with the LED displays, mainly the big one. I've noticed that some lines in the display are dimmer than others, and one or two lines flash off and then back on at random intervals (but keep the same text).
Veristek

Postby rob2507 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:33 am

Story in today's Globe: http://www.boston.com/news/local/articl ... g_on_ebay/
In summary, they couldn't find a buyer for the South Station board, so they said 'let's put it on ebay and see what we can get!'

The auction on ebay (no bids yet): http://tinyurl.com/SouthStationBoard
rob2507

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)