Tokens

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: Tokens

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:19 pm

What a dumb A$$ I am. I knew that they were going to do this. July 20th is my Birthday. You think I would have remembered. I still have a token in my work bag as an emergency.

I guess I have a souvenir.

R-
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby 3rdrail » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:31 pm

Adams_Umass_Boston wrote:What a dumb A$$ I am. I knew that they were going to do this. July 20th is my Birthday. You think I would have remembered. I still have a token in my work bag as an emergency.

I guess I have a souvenir.

R-

...which is just the way in which most valuable relics are born. Not "dumb ass", Rob - "forward thinking" :-)
Happy Birthday !!!
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Adams_Umass_Boston » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Thank you Paul.
I will keep it with your Map.
Adams_Umass_Boston

Postby Yellowspoon » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:52 am

3rdrail wrote:Because fazing out of either tokens only or dual token/coin machines over time can drastically reduce the cost of system wide machines, many which have converted to electronically imbeded card use. Just like getting that leather interior on your new car, an added feature costs $$$. Simpler also translates into cheaper maintenance, as well as retrieval costs, whereby it's much more cost effective as there are less parts to break down (as well as more mechanical and friction-causing elements) as well as tokens and coin to collect, store, and maintain security over. An electronic counter can send this count to a remote location for the cost of a telephone call.

Even if there is a considerable expense in maintaining the machines to accept tokens, why not allow them to be exchanged at Downtown Crossing? There is no expiration date printed on the coin.
Yellowspoon

Postby 3rdrail » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:31 am

...because then for the sake of one installation, you have to maintain a considerable, expensive infra-structure, ie. maintenance of machines, training of mechanics who can work on them, storage - including the transport, counting, and secure storage of tokens and the paying of personnel to do same. Additionally, as is the nature of more moving parts versus less, the token machines will probably break down more frequently with parts wearing down and tokens jamming. I think that BERy found out many years ago with their customized rapid transit specs for each line that complete standardization is the way to go. It's only fair to give notice that the tokens will not be accepted a considerable distance in time ahead, and I believe that the T has already done that. Once "T-Day" arrives, it should be out with the old and on with the new.
~Paul Joyce~

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Postby Rbts Stn » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:49 am

Yellowspoon wrote:
3rdrail wrote:Because fazing out of either tokens only or dual token/coin machines over time can drastically reduce the cost of system wide machines, many which have converted to electronically imbeded card use. Just like getting that leather interior on your new car, an added feature costs $$$. Simpler also translates into cheaper maintenance, as well as retrieval costs, whereby it's much more cost effective as there are less parts to break down (as well as more mechanical and friction-causing elements) as well as tokens and coin to collect, store, and maintain security over. An electronic counter can send this count to a remote location for the cost of a telephone call.

Even if there is a considerable expense in maintaining the machines to accept tokens, why not allow them to be exchanged at Downtown Crossing? There is no expiration date printed on the coin.

Why should you allow them to continue to be valid? They've given everyone who wants to redeem them waaaaay more than enough time to do so. If you keep them active, then you have to continue to train workers how to exhange them, that means keeping the accounting books open for those changes, and it means also that all of those tokens out there still have value that can be converted to rides which might well be a pretty large accounting liability for the T.

If they successfully have demonetized 500,000 tokens, and those tokens had a value of $1.25 assigned to them, the T suddenly just took $625K off of their Balance Sheet as a liabilty, and added that $625K to their bottom line as income.
Rbts Stn

Postby Robert Paniagua » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:14 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:The MBTA late 80s tokens use the 1963 Cambridge/Dorchester Red Line car graphic am I right?

Yes, they did, they were indeed the 01400s (otherwise known as 1963 Cambridge/Dorchester Red Line car) from the Red line, that was my favourite all-time token, I think I even have one with me today but put away
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby WickedPissah » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:48 pm

theseaandalifesaver wrote:Besides ebay, where could I obtain an MBTA token?

Now available indirectly from the T. Scroll down for the tokens. We received our first batch of 1,000. Only 1 sail boston (already sold) and less than 50 MTA tokens in the batch.
http://www.mbtagifts.com/shop.php?c=4
Brian Beaucher. Co-Owner WardMaps LLC, MBTAgifts and Boston Coasters
WickedPissah

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:32 am

Does anyone know where I could find a 2000 Millennium token? Didn't see them on MBTAgifts...
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby djimpact1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:51 pm

CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:Does anyone know where I could find a 2000 Millennium token? Didn't see them on MBTAgifts...

If you're still looking, you are in luck. MBTAGifts now has the Millennium, Southwest Corridor & Sail Boston tokens available (and from what I've seen in-store, pretty damn good shape).
A non-foaming rail enthusiast.

Member of a yet-to-be-determined transit social group
Do what you do, do it often, do it well....
djimpact1

Postby CircusFreakGRITZ » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:32 pm

djimpact1 wrote:
CircusFreakGRITZ wrote:Does anyone know where I could find a 2000 Millennium token? Didn't see them on MBTAgifts...

If you're still looking, you are in luck. MBTAGifts now has the Millennium, Southwest Corridor & Sail Boston tokens available (and from what I've seen in-store, pretty damn good shape).

Thanks, I'll give them a shot.
CircusFreakGRITZ

Postby diburning » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:28 pm

Here's a question for Paul, or anyone else who knows the answer....

My coworker found this on the ground the other day...

What is it? It looks like a medallion of some sort.
diburning

Postby 3rdrail » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:03 pm

That's a beauty ! It's a medallion handed out by the Boston Street Railway Association on its "Farewell to the El" fantrip of 4/25/87. It's got a nice heft to it.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

Postby diburning » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:46 am

What do you think something like that is worth? My friend seems to think it is of value, thinking that he can sell it, and I'd like to obtain it so I'd like to offer him a fair price for it.
diburning

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:57 am

That's a classic case of being in the "it's worth whatever you can get for it" class, so see if he'll let it go for dinner at Jacob Wirth's or Zaftig's. Anything around $20 and he should be delighted. I'd expect that to be marked at about $8 at a show.
~Paul Joyce~

3rdrail

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)