Closing the Green Line "El"

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:26 pm

Thank You for clearing that up. :P
Meaning that was the page I was looking at.
MBTA1

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:20 pm

well, got my pictures of the green line EL before it closed today. And i was able to ride in a new breda car for the first time, boy those cars are NICE :D they look way better too
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jun 18, 2004 5:04 am

Yes, that's right, they are more like NYCT's R142/R142A and Toronto TTC's T-1 subway cars. I bet your M8 ride was smooth too. Glad they are not derailing this time around.........
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:21 am

o yea, the ride was the smoothest green line ride i have ever had :D too bad i couldn't get a pic :( mine terminated at gov't Center
MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:58 am

Oh no, that must stink........
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:42 am

A little more history .... once upon a time, surface streetcar tracks led out of the Canal Street loop area to Charlestown, for streetcars that followed the routes of today's #92 and #93 buses. I think some may have even gone on to Chelsea, back when there was a low-level drawbridge across the Mystic instead of today's Tobin Bridge.

I don't know whether these streetcars used the Charlestown Bridge, or the no-longer-standing Warren Bridge (which was replaced by today's New Charles River Dam).
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:59 am

An ancient sign on the North Station Green Line outbound el platform, which sadly disappeared within the last year or two.

Some more North Station photos . The one with the "PATH" sign is obviously mislabeled :wink:

a few more pre-1975 photos

a postcard from the Hotel Manger (later Madison), next to the el, unfortunately demolished to make way for the non-descript O'Neill Federal Building

an LRV on a stub surface track, just east of the original elevated incline
Ron Newman

Postby efin98 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:19 pm

Ron Newman wrote:A little more history .... once upon a time, surface streetcar tracks led out of the Canal Street loop area to Charlestown, for streetcars that followed the routes of today's #92 and #93 buses. I think some may have even gone on to Chelsea, back when there was a low-level drawbridge across the Mystic instead of today's Tobin Bridge.

I don't know whether these streetcars used the Charlestown Bridge, or the no-longer-standing Warren Bridge (which was replaced by today's New Charles River Dam).

They went to Chelsea all right, the current 111 route is a direct decendant of the routes that did. IIRC it was street car up until the closing of the old Mystic River Bridge in favor of the current Tobin Bridge. Changed to City Square, then to Haymarket.
efin98

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:39 pm

The Clarendon Hill routes (today's 87 and 88) also ran all the way to Boston at one time, before the present Lechmere terminal was built. The inbound terminus for all of these routes was the Brattle St. Loop, which is that inner loop that still exists at Government Center station.

JD
RailBus63

Re:

Postby mgdemarco » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:10 pm

Ron Newman wrote:An exit turnstile gate (no longer used) along Canal Street is the only reminder that a surface stop used to be here. The (closed) stairway that you see today is not the one that was originally there.

The surface stop wasn't under the Orange Line el either -- that el was east of, and parallel to, the Green Line el as they both came out of the Haymarket portal.

Where was/is the exit turnstile and closed stairway?
mgdemarco

Re: Closing the Green Line "El"

Postby sery2831 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 am

Moderator: MBTA Rail Operations
sery2831

Postby Charliemta » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Awesome photos of the old Geen Line el. Thanks!
Long live the "El"
Charliemta

Postby mgdemarco » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Is the remaining Green Line elevated section in Cambridge going to be modified or changed in any way for the expansion?
mgdemarco

Postby BostonUrbEx » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm

mgdemarco wrote:Is the remaining Green Line elevated section in Cambridge going to be modified or changed in any way for the expansion?

Currently, where the cement viaduct ends and the steel bridge over the highway is, that will change. The viaduct will remain untouched, or minimally modified, and the steel part will removed. It will instead curve in the opposite direction, with a Lechmere Station on the opposite side of the highway, and it will be an elevated station instead of on the ground.
BostonUrbEx

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:33 pm

mgdemarco wrote:Is the remaining Green Line elevated section in Cambridge going to be modified or changed in any way for the expansion?

Not really. It'll stay as-is until about this billboard (or rather the last of those big trees before the billboard), then instead of taking a slight turn WNW across 28 it'll take a slight turn NNW and cross East St. into the new Lechmere station. The last 5 or so bents on the approach to the Cambridge St. overpass (the one next to the billboard, the one sticking in the middle of the sidewalk, the one in the middle of the 28N traffic island, and the two over the intersection median) will get torn down along with the incline into the yard. Maybe 350 total feet of vintage construction that'll ultimately be torn down after trains are diverted onto the new alignment, but the replacement structure will be considerably longer because new Lechmere's elevated and the tracks won't return back to grade until after Water St.
F-line to Dudley via Park

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)