Closing the Green Line "El"

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby efin98 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:38 am

Otto Vondrak wrote:There was a Green Line stop on the surface under North Station elevated?

-otto-

Not directly under the North Station elevated station, but might have been partially under the old Orange Line elevated station. No trace of the former street level stop exists, except for the wide area betwee the new Causeway Street headhouse and the Tecce Way headhouse.
efin98

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:50 am

An exit turnstile gate (no longer used) along Canal Street is the only reminder that a surface stop used to be here. The (closed) stairway that you see today is not the one that was originally there.

The surface stop wasn't under the Orange Line el either -- that el was east of, and parallel to, the Green Line el as they both came out of the Haymarket portal.
Ron Newman

Postby caduceus » Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:38 pm

Isn't the current incline used by the Green Line that which was originally the Orange Line incline to the Charlestown El? The original incline was next to it, and you can still see some relics.
First law of public transportation: You can never be early, but you can always be late.
caduceus

Postby Ron Newman » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:21 pm

The current temporary Green Line incline may be in about the same place as the former Orange Line incline (I'm not positive, since I wasn't here when the Orange Line still stood). But it is definitely not the same incline. It was built just a few years ago, to make way for Superstation construction.
Ron Newman

Postby Otto Vondrak » Mon Jun 14, 2004 11:47 pm

I think I know what you're talking about... when was the surface line taken out? I'd like to see a picture of the arrangement.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby Ron Newman » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:23 am

Here's a tour of old North Station, with photos from many different years.

this one shows the old surface stop next to Canal Street. You are looking north on the east side of Canal Street, towards Causeway Street and the former Boston Garden. Note the chain-link fence at left, which separates this paid zone from the street.

Green Line trains that terminated at North Station used this surface stop. Trains that continued to Lechmere used the elevated above.
Ron Newman

Canal Street

Postby RailBus63 » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:45 am

Also, check out the PCC photos that are labeled 'North Station Under'. Canal Street was a loop until 1977, when it was closed and rebuilt as a stub-end terminal for the Boeing LRV's. The terminal featured two main tracks and a third track to the east - usually, that track was used to park work equipment, but I do have a shot in my collection from the 1980's showing an LRV changing ends there. At various times during the 1980's and 1990's, Canal Street/North Station was the inbound terminal for the B, C and D routes.

Jim D.
RailBus63

Postby Otto Vondrak » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:19 pm

Thank you for the info... now I remember.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby savebowdoin » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:38 pm

Jumping back to the present closure of the EL, I noticed today on many of the system maps on the Green Line there has been a sticker placed over the Green Line northern end, depicting a new "branch" of the green line coming from Government Center to Lechmere, and is labeled a "Bus Shuttle"... The regular trolley "branch" terminates at North Station.

Also of note is that Bowdoin station on the Blue Line does not have a white dot signifying a stop on these stickers... is this a goof or a sign of things to come?? Let's hope it's not the latter...

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby Ron Newman » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:04 pm

The sticker is correct - Green Line service will end at North Station, but the bus shuttle will run from Government Center to Lechmere. People are encouraged to transfer at Government Center or Haymarket, because the North Station bus stop will be several blocks from the actual station.

Here is the T's official leaflet about the bus shuttle.
Ron Newman

Last elevated train is at 7 PM Friday, June 18

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:16 am

I picked up an official leaflet from the MBTA at North Station Upper a few minutes ago.

It says that the last Green Line train on the elevated will run at 7 pm tomorrow night (Friday, June 18). After that, there will be substitute busing until 7 am Monday morning, June 21, when the first Green Line train runs into the new subway station.

Anyone for a meet-up tomorrow night around 6, to take a few last rides?
Ron Newman

Postby octr202 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:38 am

Also, the T's changing up where trains terminate on Monday June 21:

B: BC-North Station
C: Cleveland Cir.-Gov't. Ctr.
D: Riverside-Gov't. Ctr.
E: Heath St.-North Station

This is in Transit Updates on mbta.com.
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jwhite07 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 11:36 am

Interesting they used the MBTA's internal route codes for each line as well as the letter designation... and even got those wrong.

Route 811 for Boston College - North Station is right, but when I saw the Transit Update, they had it listed as (C), not (B)!

Cleveland Circle - Government Center is route 832, not 811 (see above).

Riverside - Government Center is route 852, not 832 (again, see above).

Whaddya know, they got it all right for Heath Street - North Station! It is indeed the E line, and route 881!
jwhite07

Postby MBTA1 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:36 pm

On the MBTA's website it lists a new stop ... Haymarket...North Station... CHARLES RIVER PARK... Science Museum...Lechmere... I never have heard of a Charles River Park stop. Also is Science Park (as we know it) being changed to Science Museum? Any answers would be helpful and thank you
MBTA1

Postby Ron Newman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:55 pm

Those are shuttle bus stops. Charles River Park and Science Museum replace the Science Park Green Line stop. The leaflet on the T web site makes this clear, and includes a link to a map showing all the bus stops. Are you looking at some other page?
Ron Newman

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)