Closing the Green Line "El"

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Postby RailBus63 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 9:46 am

Unfortunately, seeing it is all the MBTA wants you to do ... :(

JD
RailBus63

Postby octr202 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:47 am

Gee -- we should be able to photograph the el on its last day -- how does one scope out and photograph a line that's being torn down for a future attack? :wink:
Wondering if I'll see the Haverhill double-tracking finished before I retire...
Photo: Melbourne W7 No. 1019 on Route 78, Bridge & Church Streets, Richmond, Victoria. 10/21/2010
octr202

Location: In the land of the once and future 73 trackless trolley.

Postby jrc520 » Fri Jun 11, 2004 5:05 pm

easy. taking down the el yourself, thus stealing the jobs of good, hardworking destruction workers :-p (and maybe hitting BPD officers who are on the picket line)
jrc520

Postby savebowdoin » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:28 pm

Who else is planning on riding around the EL next Friday night and riding the last train? Does anyone know what time and what direction the last train over the EL will be going?

Mike
savebowdoin

Postby Robert Paniagua » Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:06 pm

Who else is planning on riding around the EL next Friday night and riding the last train? Does anyone know what time and what direction the last train over the EL will be going?

Actually, I am, but I'll have to do that on Sun, June 13, along with my premier "moviemaker" to get the last of my memories of that EL. I don't want to go through what I did back in 1987 with the Orange Line.

That Friday, Jun 18, I won't be able to do it due to other commitments, but I'll be able to get it on this coming Sunday.
~Robert Paniagua
Moderator: WMATA :: General Railroad Operations
Robert Paniagua

Postby Otto Vondrak » Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:24 pm

I went to Boston any way, and I took pictures without a permit. Perfectly easy to do from non-MBTA property. Will explain at length tomorrow.

-otto-
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Postby CSX Conductor » Sat Jun 12, 2004 3:51 pm

SaveBowdoin, the last revenue train would probably be out of Givt around 1AM.....as far as direction of last trolley to use the el at all, umm, I think inbound LOL.

Good question though. anything in the schedules or on T.com about last revenue trips?
CSX Conductor

Postby efin98 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:47 pm

last run is about 12:45-12:55 area, in both directions from the 111 schedule(runs out of Haymarket), but best to check the T schedule just to be sure.
efin98

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:11 pm

Trip Report - MBTA Green Line El - 6/11/04

Left New York at 6:00am. Arrive Quincy Adams 9:00am. Arrive Park Street, Boston around 9:30. Call MBTA Marketing Office... just for fun... advised about the new permit process. Thanked the T for choosing to waste my time. Decided to "break the law" and re-enter the system and try to get whatever shots I could...

So we headed to Lechemere... another fun ride over the El and over the Charles. Lechemere terminal is a great place to hang out. There were some shots I wanted to get from the platform, but decided that the terminal was not the place to "test" the photo ban. We went out into the street and found we could get a shot of outbound cars turning on the loop- through the open gate while standing in the street. The only comments we got from the T was an operator who waved to us and said we should ask the fare inspector for permission to explore in the yard (we nodded and smiled and decided against it)... we decided to leave Lechmere and walk along the structure and see what we could get from the street. Got serveral great shots of cars climbing the structure up onto the El. Walked back got on the train for the ride to Science Park.

Walked around Science Park station... tried to get some shots on the concrete structure, but it didnt really work out that well. Walked along the street towards North Station station. Got some great shots from a public parking garage adjacent to the structure- got some great shots that included the new highway bridge, the Fleet Center, and a wrecking ball (ominous symbol of things to come for the El).

Walked to North Station station. Re-entered the system, and waited for inbound cars. Snuck a couple of shots of cars rounding the bend in both directions (wished that walkway to the Orange Line was still open!). Boarded an inbound car and headed back into Park Street.

Changed to the Red Line at Park Street- rode to Harvard where we picked up the Route 71 trackless to Watertown. Rode it out, took a couple of pictures, ate the the Deluxe Town Diner in East Watertown. Here I left my friend to shoot the trackless- I was going to try to get last light shots on the Mattapan High Speed line...

Got to Ashmont around 6- boarded a PCC. Got off at Butler, took a couple of shots of outbound cars from the safety of the non-T-controlled bike path. Boarded the next outbound car and got off at Milton. Took a huge risk and took a couple of shots of outbound cars from the platform. Boarded another outbound car and got off at Capen Street. Took shots from the middle of the street. Finally got asked by one car operator if I had a permit, and I just kinda shouted back, "Don't need one- public street!!" The operator looked confused, and I just pointed at the asphalt- "Not T property!" I didnt stay much longer since the light was quickly fading, and I didnt feel like waiting around at Mattapan and having to deal with the supervisors there if I wanted to shoot. And I had a long drive ahead of me to get home. Boarded and inbound car and headed back for JFK/Umass and finally Quincy Adams.

Sure there were a couple of shots on the Green Line El I would have liked to get from T property, but all in all, not having a permit didnt keep me from enjoying myself- and I wasnt breaking the law or violating policy (except when I snuck a shot at North Station and at Milton).

Sigh. This is life in 2004 folks.

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby jrc520 » Sat Jun 12, 2004 10:43 pm

glad to hear that you had a good visit. I've always had good luck with the T, well, other than this one B****, but she was corrected quickly. And I almost always shoot away on T property. I am also really friendly too, which I guess helps(after all, once you know someone is not a threat, the rules get bent a little for you). Still, it's good that you were able to enjoy your trip.
jrc520

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:22 am

wished that walkway to the Orange Line was still open!

That's been closed for a few years, ever since the Orange Line headhouse on Causeway Street reopened. There were never any plans to reopen it, so I don't know why the sign on it says "STAIRWAY TEMPORARILY CLOSED".

And like a lot of the other things you see around North Station, it is itself temporary, built when the Canal Street surface stop closed. In fact, none of the stairways (whether open or closed) running from Green Line elevated to street level are part of the original station. Ditto for the elevator. All were built within the last 6 years or so.
Ron Newman

Postby Ron Newman » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:38 am

North Station as I remember it, from 1975 until the Superstation construction began a few years ago:

You entered through a small headhouse at Canal and Causeway Streets, which contained a token booth, turnstiles, and a stairway down to the Orange Line level. This was the only fare-collection entrance for any part of North Station.

If you wanted to ride the Green Line, you walked out of this building into a fenced-off, open-air surface Green Line stop (which also had a couple of high exit-only revolving-door gates out to the street). In PCC days, this surface stop was a loop, but it was later converted to two stub-end tracks since the Boeing LRVs didn't like the loop very much.

From the surface stop, you could climb an ancient stairway to the inbound Green Line inbound elevated platform. There were several closed-off parts of this stairway that presumably led to the no-longer-standing Orange Line elevated platforms.

If you wanted to ride outbound on the Green Line el, you had to go down more stairs to a cross-under corridor connecting the two elevated platforms. (These stairs and corridor are still in use.)

From the outbound elevated platform, you could walk through exit-only revolving-door gates to a stairway which actually entered the old Boston Garden building, then dumped you out onto the north side of Causeway Street. You could also see doors that led from the Garden into this stairway, but I never ever saw them opened or used.

Almost everything I've described above is no longer there. The current Green Line fare-collection entrance is now where that outbound exit used to be, but the current stairway to Causeway Street is recent temporary construction, as is the adjoining elevator.
Last edited by Ron Newman on Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ron Newman

Postby CSX Conductor » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:39 am

That parking garage is one place I was thinking about using, but failed to mention earlier in the week......glad you had a good trip Otto.
CSX Conductor

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Jun 13, 2004 10:43 pm

There was a Green Line stop on the surface under North Station elevated?

-otto-
Otto Vondrak

Postby ckb » Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:29 pm

Yeah, well it wasn't exactly underneath the Elevated North Station - If I remember correctly the tracks for the ground level station continued straight towards the old Boston Garden rather than making the sharp left turn over Causeway St. The ne.transit site has the history that describes the various and sundry changes to which lines (A, B, C, D, or E) terminated there, Lechmere, Govt. Center (scollay) or Park.

I actually remember riding to the lower end of this station many many years ago with my Dad because he wanted to show me the home of the Bruins and Celtics. It was a very strange but neat place since there was steel all around - the stub tracks ahead, the El to the left and the former Central Artery elevated to the right.
ckb

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)