$10 Unlimited Weekend Fare

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: $10 Unlimited Weekend Fare

Postby Diverging Route » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:00 am

Rbts Stn wrote:Too bad the last train out of Providence is too early to really enjoy a night at Waterfire

And the first inbound from Providence on Sundays won't get you to Boston until 12:30pm!
Diverging Route

Postby hs3730 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm surprised they didn't try the more obvious approach of free weekend parking to increase weekend patronage (like pretty much everyone else in the Northeast does). This $10 fare is a far better deal for passengers but also more expensive for MA...
hs3730

Postby Diverging Route » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 pm

An out-of-town friend (who had no idea of the weekend special) came into Boston on an early Worcester train today (boarding at Framingham). I asked him if the conductor offered him the $10 weekend special, but he said when he asked for a round-trip, he was sold the $18.50 round-trip standard Zone 5 fare. I told him to go to the ticket window in South Station and complain.
Diverging Route

Postby Arborwayfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 am

Maybe they particularly want to attract passengers from the city to the suburbs/outlying cities. Plenty of day-trip potential in Salem, Rockport, Lowell, Concord, and so on. Free parking out there would not help.

I wonder if the conductors have been told to sell the $10 fare only if people specifically ask for it, or if that particular conductor messed up.
Arborwayfan

Postby Lincoln78 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I rode from Ayer-BON-Haverhill and back last weekend. (Free parking in Ayer, plus I had never been past Concord on my home Fitchburg line. First time on the T CR in 20+ years and first other line ever).

I had earlier found it a challenge to learn where to buy the ticket (it is on the website). I asked for the "weekend special"; I noticed that the conductor wasn't offering it to people (good for the MBTA revenue..)

Went to The Tap in Haverhill. Red Sox were on so I didn't go on their porch which overlooks the Merrimack bridge. Still saw a few commerters, Downeasters, and a northbound PAR powered by some CSX relics.

Not sure where to try next.
Lincoln78

Postby RenegadeMonster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm

According to the automated message they play in the trains advertising the weekend ticket, you should be able to buy the weekend ticket onboard the train or through the M-Ticket App. It also says the weekend tickets are available at Back Bay, North and South Station.
RenegadeMonster

Postby Lincoln78 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm

This fare price has been continued to Dec 9 as reported on NECN and the website.
https://mbta.com/projects/10-weekends-commuter-rail

Hoping Uno's does the same with their Wednesday night lobster roll special.
Lincoln78

Postby ayerjunction » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:48 pm

The weekend pass program has been continued into 2019. For the sake of any "mileage collectors out there, I have prepared spreadsheets of all weekend train arrivals and departures by route for both North and South stations. It would be interesting to see who can do the most miles over the most routes in a weekend. Anyone interested in these spreadsheets to plan some "binge riding"?
ayerjunction

Postby MBTA3247 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Sure.
"The destination of this train is [BEEP BEEP]" -announcement on an Ashmont train.
MBTA3247

Postby RenegadeMonster » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:40 am

Definitely.

Also, what is the most scenic milage to check out first?
RenegadeMonster

Postby jonnhrr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:51 pm

RenegadeMonster wrote:Definitely.

Also, what is the most scenic milage to check out first?

Probably the Eastern Route out to Rockport/Newburyport.
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby HenryAlan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I would enjoy seeing the spreadsheets, and also wonder about which lines are most interesting. I have ridden Needham, Providence, Midleborough, Newburyport, Lowell, and Fitchburg all or at least almost all of the way. Of the others, which hold the most visual interest? I'm thinking in terms of both scenic countryside and hidden industry/infrastructure that can't be seen from the highways.
HenryAlan

Postby daybeers » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:24 am

I would also be interested! I'm from CT so I really haven't explored much of the MBTA's system at all, but my sister lives in Wellesley, so I'd love to also see the most interesting/scenic lines.
daybeers

Postby Graeme Salt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:41 am

There is a lot of interest in US railroads from enthusiasts here in the UK, particularly in those commuter operations still running older power such as MBTA. I don't anticipate being able to make a return visit to Boston anytime soon myself (was there last February chasing GP40s and F40s,) but I know a few people who would find these spreadsheets interesting and with permission I would like to share them via this IO group: https://groups.io/g/narg/topics
Graeme Salt

Postby ayerjunction » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:41 pm

ayerjunction wrote:The weekend pass program has been continued into 2019. For the sake of any "mileage collectors out there, I have prepared spreadsheets of all weekend train arrivals and departures by route for both North and South stations. It would be interesting to see who can do the most miles over the most routes in a weekend. Anyone interested in these spreadsheets to plan some "binge riding"?

SPREADSHEET OF WEEKEND ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES FROM NORTH AND SOUTH STATIONS

These are the links to shared Google Spreadsheets for weekend service out of North and South stations:

NORTH STATION
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1H4TA0mUXvhtkbOVQoIZrd9_kANvpYhSBDcK3lMDzdvQ/edit?usp=sharing

SOUTH STATION
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tkqpSPa2nKtEYqx6eueZt60zMoRZzWSBM4du-I-OfSk/edit?usp=sharing

If these don't work for you contact me at my email: rondefilippo@verizon.net
ayerjunction

PreviousNext

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)