$10 Unlimited Weekend Fare

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

Re: $10 Unlimited Weekend Fare

Postby Diverging Route » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:00 am

Rbts Stn wrote:Too bad the last train out of Providence is too early to really enjoy a night at Waterfire

And the first inbound from Providence on Sundays won't get you to Boston until 12:30pm!
Diverging Route

Postby hs3730 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I'm surprised they didn't try the more obvious approach of free weekend parking to increase weekend patronage (like pretty much everyone else in the Northeast does). This $10 fare is a far better deal for passengers but also more expensive for MA...
hs3730

Postby Diverging Route » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 pm

An out-of-town friend (who had no idea of the weekend special) came into Boston on an early Worcester train today (boarding at Framingham). I asked him if the conductor offered him the $10 weekend special, but he said when he asked for a round-trip, he was sold the $18.50 round-trip standard Zone 5 fare. I told him to go to the ticket window in South Station and complain.
Diverging Route

Postby Arborwayfan » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:49 am

Maybe they particularly want to attract passengers from the city to the suburbs/outlying cities. Plenty of day-trip potential in Salem, Rockport, Lowell, Concord, and so on. Free parking out there would not help.

I wonder if the conductors have been told to sell the $10 fare only if people specifically ask for it, or if that particular conductor messed up.
Arborwayfan

Postby Lincoln78 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:35 pm

I rode from Ayer-BON-Haverhill and back last weekend. (Free parking in Ayer, plus I had never been past Concord on my home Fitchburg line. First time on the T CR in 20+ years and first other line ever).

I had earlier found it a challenge to learn where to buy the ticket (it is on the website). I asked for the "weekend special"; I noticed that the conductor wasn't offering it to people (good for the MBTA revenue..)

Went to The Tap in Haverhill. Red Sox were on so I didn't go on their porch which overlooks the Merrimack bridge. Still saw a few commerters, Downeasters, and a northbound PAR powered by some CSX relics.

Not sure where to try next.
Lincoln78

Postby RenegadeMonster » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:00 pm

According to the automated message they play in the trains advertising the weekend ticket, you should be able to buy the weekend ticket onboard the train or through the M-Ticket App. It also says the weekend tickets are available at Back Bay, North and South Station.
RenegadeMonster

Postby Lincoln78 » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:16 pm

This fare price has been continued to Dec 9 as reported on NECN and the website.
https://mbta.com/projects/10-weekends-commuter-rail

Hoping Uno's does the same with their Wednesday night lobster roll special.
Lincoln78

Previous

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)