New Program lets U redraw the MBTA Subway

Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: CRail, sery2831

New Program lets U redraw the MBTA Subway

Postby JPoland » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:46 pm

I tried turning the Minuteman Bike trail into a subway line to Lexington MA and the result was that I only got 9,000 more riders.
Code: Select all
http://app.enmodal.co/?id=a5d35e4e871ca1b2#
JPoland

Re: New Program lets U redraw the MBTA Subway

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 am

JPoland wrote:I tried turning the Minuteman Bike trail into a subway line to Lexington MA and the result was that I only got 9,000 more riders.

It's all about the station spacing, though what the ridership algorithms basically show is that the Arlington stops will pull similar ridership to the quieter Braintree branch stations, while the Lexington stations will show less ridership.

One (hypothetical) way to take care of that would be to build a mirror of the Mattapan high-speed line to the north, running from Alewife to Bedford Center, and short-turn some of the trains with a loop at Arlington Heights. If you could keep the stations to D-branch levels of opulence, it could be done pretty cheaply, while being able to coexist with the bikeway for most of the ROW, though imho, trains will always take precedent over cyclists as they are a far more effective way of getting people out of their cars.
Bramdeisroberts

Postby railgeekteen » Tue May 08, 2018 9:44 am

Does not work for me. How do I get it to work?
railgeekteen

Postby BostonUrbEx » Tue May 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Whelp... the website is gone (as of March 31st), but the software lives on! Looks like it requires some other software downloads, too, but should all be free as far as I can tell.

https://mailchi.mp/4bc73b7a4337/enmodal ... n-march-31
BostonUrbEx

Postby BandA » Tue May 08, 2018 9:36 pm

The README.md file contains installation instructions. For ubuntu linux they are not completely accurate...
BandA

Postby andrewjw » Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 pm

BandA wrote:The README.md file contains installation instructions. For ubuntu linux they are not completely accurate...

If you find them inaccurate, fork and submit a pull request!
andrewjw

Postby BandA » Wed May 09, 2018 12:17 pm

andrewjw wrote:
BandA wrote:The README.md file contains installation instructions. For ubuntu linux they are not completely accurate...

When I get through them. So far postgresql database needs to be installed before the python requirements, and the ¨virtualenv¨ can´t handle spaces in the directory name.
BandA

Postby andrewjw » Wed May 09, 2018 8:24 pm

BandA wrote:
andrewjw wrote:

When I get through them. So far postgresql database needs to be installed before the python requirements, and the ¨virtualenv¨ can´t handle spaces in the directory name.

just escape the spaces with \ characters or put the directory names in quotes?
andrewjw

Postby blackcap » Thu May 10, 2018 9:12 am

I’ll use made-up examples here to show how spaces in file names are dealt with in Windows, Mac, and Linux.

In Windows, use double quotes:
“C:\Program Files\Example\Example File.file”

In Mac and Linux, use apostrophes (single quotes):
‘/usr/bin/Example File.file’
blackcap

Location: Magna, UT (formerly of Gaston County, NC; Olathe, KS; and Woburn, MA)

Postby BandA » Thu May 10, 2018 5:36 pm

no, the directory where I cloned the repository was something like "/media/username/My Passport/downloads/blah". It's a bug somewhere in the scripting. Solution was to move it somewhere else. it's feeling like the directions weren't tested. Geographic extension has to be added to the database before the tables are populated. psycopg is installed twice. etc.
BandA

Postby CRail » Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 pm

MODERATOR NOTE: PLEASE use extreme care clicking offsite links (and just as careful posting them). Should any file or program being shared or discussed here be found to contain any malware or have a negative effect on your machine or device, please let me or an administrator know immediately.
Moderator: Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority
Avatar:3679A (since wrecked)/3623B (now in service as 3636B).
CRail

Postby andrewjw » Fri May 18, 2018 4:00 am

GitHub is a website for sharing the source code of the program, not the final copy - so anyone running enmodal for themselves should be able to read through how it works to verify for themselves that it's not doing anything unexpected. GitHub itself is used widely in software engineering and has a strong revenue stream from enterprise accounts with private repositories. I don't think there is any need for concern about this particular link. :)
andrewjw

Postby BandA » Sat May 19, 2018 4:30 pm

Our moderator is just trying to protect us by getting us to Stop and Think. Also, when is the last time you read through *all* the code, lol
BandA

Postby andrewjw » Sat May 19, 2018 11:04 pm

BandA wrote:Our moderator is just trying to protect us by getting us to Stop and Think. Also, when is the last time you read through *all* the code, lol

Haha, fair. Something could be hidden in the libraries. The app itself is only like 5 kloc of javascript, though.
andrewjw

Return to Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)